Suggestion: Exclude Greatest Hits Albums from Overall Charts

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
drivebytornado

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2013 23:10
  • Post subject: Suggestion: Exclude Greatest Hits Albums from Overall Charts
I was surprised in scrolling through all the yearly Overall Charts to see how many Greatest Hits / Best Of albums are showing up in the rankings. I wouldn't want to stop individuals from including those in their charts if they want to, but don't think they belong in the yearly Overall Charts. Greatest Hits albums are generally not music from that year. Just one example - Forty Licks (Rolling Stones Greatest Hits) is #29 in 2002 - what do these songs have to do with 2002?

Since I'm new, I would guess this has already been discussed and is an old topic. If so, apologies, and please direct me to the thread so I can read up on the rationale on this.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 02/24/2013 23:17
  • Post subject:
This website is looking for the greatest album ever, which means regular albums, live albums, and compilations are all legitimate. If people wanna include a freatest hits album because they feel it's one of the greatest albums ever, they're free to do so. You can't put limitations on the search for the world's greatest album.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2013 23:17
  • Post subject:
I agree with you 100%
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2013 23:27
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
This website is looking for the greatest album ever, which means regular albums, live albums, and compilations are all legitimate. If people wanna include a freatest hits album because they feel it's one of the greatest albums ever, they're free to do so. You can't put limitations on the search for the world's greatest album.

Say a band has a bunch of albums, but they all only have a couple really great songs on it, and theirs a compilation that has all of those, so of course it's gonna be an amazing record! Except that falls into the trap of all greatest hits albums, its just a bunch of songs stiched together, and doesn't have the flow like if they were all written and recorded together.

That's like saying "Led Zepplins greatest hits" is definitely the best Zepplin album, it has Stairway to Heaven AND Kashmir on it!
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2013 23:33
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:

Stupid argument is stupid. If you think greatest hits albums should be allowed on the overall charts, fine, but this argument is just.... Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
drivebytornado

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2013 00:18
  • Post subject:
My suggestion was removing them from the yearly Overall Charts only. So if everyone thinks Abba's Greatest Hits is the best album of all time and it gets the #1 overall spot, that's fine with me. My point is that when looking at a chart for a given year, you want to see music that was actually released that year. This is consistent with how most yearly lists are put together.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 02/25/2013 00:19
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
Stupid argument is stupid. If you think greatest hits albums should be allowed on the overall charts, fine, but this argument is just.... Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

How is it stupid? If I want to put a best of album on my chart, what's to stop me? I don't do it, but that doesn't mean I should try to get the right for others to do it taken away.

Tornado has a really good argument, though.

MrFrogger wrote:
Say a band has a bunch of albums, but they all only have a couple really great songs on it, and theirs a compilation that has all of those, so of course it's gonna be an amazing record! Except that falls into the trap of all greatest hits albums, its just a bunch of songs stiched together, and doesn't have the flow like if they were all written and recorded together.

That's like saying "Led Zepplins greatest hits" is definitely the best Zepplin album, it has Stairway to Heaven AND Kashmir on it!

I never said people HAD to do it. I'm just saying it's THEIR opinion, and people shouldn't try to change other people's opinions.

I personally don't care what's on a chart as long as it's not too mainstream.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2013 00:29
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:

I personally don't care what's on a chart as long as it's not too mainstream.

lol, especially coming from the person who has Zeppelin #1
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 02/25/2013 00:32
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
lol, especially coming from the person who has Zeppelin #1

I mean if it's surrounded by Mainstream albums. Duh!

If my chart were mainstream, Bob Dylan or Beatles would be on top. It would be overrun by those two, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Stone Roses, Marvin Gaye, Beach Boys, and all those others.

Last edited by JMan on 02/25/2013 00:34; edited 1 time in total

• Posted: 02/25/2013 00:32
  • Post subject:
Ok Guys... ANOTHER reminder... this is a suggestion thread about Greatest Hits albums.. it's not a thread about JMan.. I am getting very sick of every thread turning into a 'JMan thread' in some way shape or form!

Can you all please take your JMan discussions elsewhere (far away from the boards would be preferable) and return to the topic at hand?