American music vs British Music in 1996

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Who had the better music in the year 1996?
The Americans (USA)
77%
 77%  [17]
The British
22%
 22%  [5]
Total Votes : 22

Kiki
  • Posted: 02/26/2013 23:24
  • Post subject: American music vs British Music in 1996
I was wondering how great a year 1996 was recently for music. There are plenty of great albums from this year and the songs/ singles were stella. However, I noticed the vast majority of what I liked the from this year was from the UK. More so, my most favorite from the year are all entirely from the UK.

Slight Return for example:

Link

Amazing! Did the USA have a feel good single like this one? Show me an American song with a similar sound from 1996 and tell me it is better!

Also:

Link

Ok, they never did much more after that. Had a few good songs here and there but this one stands out for me. Sing along? As the summer is warm it is!

...And... what's this?...:

Link

Amazing! Just amazing! That is one which can sure get the adrenaline pumping! It's a one against the world song, nobody is going to beat the person who sings along to this.

And for the broken hearted, the hopeful and the romancers there is the love blinding album of 'Cassanova' by The Divine Comedy. With songs like 'The Frog Princess' and 'Becoming More Like Alfie' this was a career highlight for this man.

Super Furry Animals released their debut 'Fuzzy Logic'. Nothing else to add there.

Well what about the USA? What did the USA have in 1996? What did they release? Think

Anything good? Think

I can't think... absolutely nothing great is coming to my head. Please share songs and albums and I'll give them time if I haven't heard them before.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States
  • Posted: 02/26/2013 23:31
  • Post subject:
On Avery Island, Pinkerton, and Soundtracks for the Blind all came out that year. So yea, American.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States
  • Posted: 02/26/2013 23:33
  • Post subject:
The Americans (USA)
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 02/26/2013 23:34
  • Post subject:
I'm going to go by the geographical makeup of my 1996 chart (not the most scientific method, I know).

There are 2 British albums, both by Belle & Sebastian.

There are 17 American albums, which are (in order from highest to lowest):

Weezer - Pinkerton
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
Outkast - ATLiens
UGK - Ridin' Dirty
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Beck - Odelay
Redman - Muddy Waters
Eminem - Infinite
The Fugees - The Score
Sadat X - Wild Cowboys
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Gillian Welch - Revival
Jeru the Damaja - Wrath of the Math
Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth
Nas - It Was Written

Even without my obvious love of hip-hop I'd still argue that the USA takes it - solely based on my chart - although I will have to edit it soon to include Fuzzy Logic (even if it is far from my favourite SFA album). So yeah, I voted USA.
Kiki
  • Posted: 02/26/2013 23:34
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
On Avery Island, Pinkerton, and Soundtracks for the Blind all came out that year. So yea, American.

Pinkerton is vile. On Avery Island is hit and miss after a first amazing song. Could grow on me though, the weird noises interest me on it.

Soundtracks for the Blind, I will give that a listen.
GeevyDallas
WATTBA
  • Posted: 02/26/2013 23:37
  • Post subject:
Weezer - Pinkerton
A Tribe Called Quest - Beats,Rhymes and Life
Red House Painters - Songs For A Blue Guitar
Outkast - ATLiens
Neutal Milk Hotel - On Avery Island
Nas - It Was Written
Makaveli - 7 Day Theory
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
The Fugees - The Score
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
De La Soul - Stakes Is High

After a quick scan of my iTunes,these are my favorite albums from the US and 96.
  • Visit poster's website
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States
  • Posted: 02/26/2013 23:37
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Pinkerton is vile. On Avery Island is hit and miss after a first amazing song. Could grow on me though, the weird noises interest me on it.

Soundtracks for the Blind, I will give that a listen.

Woah, hateful opinions much. I can understand how you can hate Pinkerton, it seems to me that the people who listened to it as teenagers are the ones who enjoy it the most. I'm a huge fan of On Avery Island, I strongly suggest you re-listen to it if you think its that bad, especially considering a ton of NMH's best songs are on it (Naomi,GardenHead,Baby for Pree etc).
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki
  • Posted: 02/26/2013 23:47
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Woah, hateful opinions much. I can understand how you can hate Pinkerton, it seems to me that the people who listened to it as teenagers are the ones who enjoy it the most. I'm a huge fan of On Avery Island, I strongly suggest you re-listen to it if you think its that bad, especially considering a ton of NMH's best songs are on it (Naomi,GardenHead,Baby for Pree etc).

I'm very reserved with the opinions. Usualy go with the if you have nothing nice to say don't say nothing. Especially on the charts where 100 honest opinions would get me ostracized fairly quick. Might be fun though haha.

Why do you think I "hate" Pinkerton? I'm not angry, I'm intrigued by the word "understand" Razz I like Baby For Pree a lot as well. Have the album on two of mp3's.
Kiki
  • Posted: 02/26/2013 23:48
  • Post subject:
Lots of American albums are being posted. Is it lacking in the single and songs department I wonder? Think
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States
  • Posted: 02/26/2013 23:50
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
I'm very reserved with the opinions. Usualy go with the if you have nothing nice to say don't say nothing. Especially on the charts where 100 honest opinions would get me ostracized fairly quick. Might be fun though haha.

Why do you think I "hate" Pinkerton? I'm not angry, I'm intrigued by the word "understand" Razz I like Baby For Pree a lot as well. Have the album on two of mp3's.

Fair enough.

The only song on Avery Island that I cant really get into is the last one, although I don't really see a filler in there other than that. Even a lot of the shorter song's offer a nice breather in the scope of the whole album.
  • Visit poster's website