A Random Question

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 07/10/2013 20:58
  • Post subject: A Random Question
Okay, so I'm wondering. If a co-worker texts you at 2:00 asking you to cover his shift at 6:00, and you're actually free at the time of the shift, but you were really looking forward to the night off and aren't feeling super great anyway, are you in any way obligated to cover the shift? Obviously your employers can't require you to, but is it totally selfish of you to opt not to under these circumstances?

I ask because this is the situation I'm in right now and I can't decide if I should feel guilty or not.

• Posted: 07/10/2013 20:59
  • Post subject: Re: A Random Question
swedenman wrote:
Okay, so I'm wondering. If a co-worker texts you at 2:00 asking you to cover his shift at 6:00, and you're actually free at the time of the shift, but you were really looking forward to the night off and aren't feeling super great anyway, are you in any way obligated to cover the shift? Obviously your employers can't require you to, but is it totally selfish of you to opt not to under these circumstances?

I ask because this is the situation I'm in right now and I can't decide if I should feel guilty or not.

It's not your shift so there's no reason to feel guilty at all.
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 07/10/2013 21:01
  • Post subject:
You don't have to, especially if you yourself are not really up to it, but it depends on how you would like other people to do the same for you if you couldn't do one of your upcoming shifts.

• Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/10/2013 21:02
  • Post subject:
All it can damage is that co-workers trust, so its how you value that co-worker. I'd respectfully tell him that you aren't available to do that shift due to a prior engagement (to yourself of course) that you can't squeeze out of to help him out - this might lessen the blow? iunno, never been in this position.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/10/2013 21:07
  • Post subject:
I mean, this particular co-worker is super nice, so I feel bad for letting him down. He also asked me to cover it because his car broke down and he had no way of getting to work. I mean, I'm sure he can probably find a ride, but now I'm just worried that he'll be seriously inconvenienced (and I could've been a lot quicker about getting back to him about it, too; I hesitated to answer because I was having this internal conflict).

I guess I don't have any reason to feel bad, but I can't really help it.
nutso42

• Posted: 07/10/2013 21:12
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
I mean, this particular co-worker is super nice, so I feel bad for letting him down. He also asked me to cover it because his car broke down and he had no way of getting to work. I mean, I'm sure he can probably find a ride, but now I'm just worried that he'll be seriously inconvenienced (and I could've been a lot quicker about getting back to him about it, too; I hesitated to answer because I was having this internal conflict).

I guess I don't have any reason to feel bad, but I can't really help it.

Sounds like you're a (gasp!) good person.

I know, on BEA?

But nonetheless, you're under no obligation to cover for said co-worker. Just don't be disappointed if he treats you the same way later on.
If you still feel bad later, I'd apologize and tell him all about your internal struggle with this. He might appreciate to hear it.

• Posted: 07/10/2013 21:17
  • Post subject:
Thanks, everyone. I'm not going to lose sleep over it or anything, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not a terrible person. I appreciate the reassurance Very Happy
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/10/2013 21:19
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Thanks, everyone. I'm not going to lose sleep over it or anything, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not a terrible person. I appreciate the reassurance Very Happy

If it makes you feel any better if I was in your position I would do the same thing.

Mostly because I'm lazy as hell though.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/10/2013 21:26
  • Post subject:
I would only do it if I know it will benefit me in the future. If you a) dont care about the extra cash or b) dont think that taking his shift will mean he will "owe you one" in the future (could be taking a shift of yours in the future or pie or something) then fuck that dont do it.

NOTE: this could be slightly different if this was a job in which you are hoping to make a career out of (im assuming its not) in which case doing these "nice" kinds of things could become more beneficial at a later time.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/10/2013 21:41
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
NOTE: this could be slightly different if this was a job in which you are hoping to make a career out of (im assuming its not) in which case doing these "nice" kinds of things could become more beneficial at a later time.

Bahaha, no. I scrape food off plates and stack them for the dishwasher. It's miserable. Could be a lot worse, though, and I make pretty decent money with it.

But yeah, no. Definitely not a career-type job.