Which do you think was the best decade for music?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
moojakptorei

• Posted: 03/09/2013 11:54
  • Post subject: Which do you think was the best decade for music?
Hello there,

I'm doing a project for school with the question "Which was the best decade for music?"
I'm looking for people's opinions on this subject and a list of reasons why. I know this is an extremely subjective topic so I'm not expecting a conclusive answer but I just want some opinions and evidence to back them up.
Very Happy
eclab
Newsomite/Morrisonian

Australia

• Posted: 03/09/2013 12:08
  • Post subject:
I think it comes down to the sixties or the seventies, and I'd say the seventies takes it. 1965-69 were amazing, but there wasn't as much happening early in that decade. By contrast the whole of the seventies saw great albums released and in greater variety: rock, funk, soul, punk. To me, there were just fewer great albums in any of the decades before or after.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 03/09/2013 12:12
  • Post subject:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...php?t=5672 Rolling Eyes
  • Visit poster's website
moojakptorei

• Posted: 03/09/2013 13:48
  • Post subject:
eclab wrote:
I think it comes down to the sixties or the seventies, and I'd say the seventies takes it. 1965-69 were amazing, but there wasn't as much happening early in that decade. By contrast the whole of the seventies saw great albums released and in greater variety: rock, funk, soul, punk. To me, there were just fewer great albums in any of the decades before or after.

Thank you, this will definitely help with my project. Smile
moojakptorei

• Posted: 03/09/2013 13:49
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5672 Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the chart. I could defiantly use this along with some other polls I've found.
JMan

• Posted: 03/09/2013 19:19
  • Post subject:
Honestly, I tend to stay within the 70's when I listen to music. But I'm growing on the other decades. The majority of albums I've listened to is from the 70's. Mostly 1976. Fantastic year for music.
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=9047
moojakptorei

• Posted: 03/09/2013 19:29
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Honestly, I tend to stay within the 70's when I listen to music. But I'm growing on the other decades. The majority of albums I've listened to is from the 70's. Mostly 1976. Fantastic year for music.
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=9047

Thanks for the reply. That's an impressive chart you have there. I shall have to look into 1976. Smile Any recommendations for albums to listen to from 70's era?

My favourite decade is probably the 90’s but I'm still not sure. I like 90’s albums such as Automatic For The People, The Bends and In The Aeroplane Over The Sea but then there is iconic albums from other decades that I haven't listened to yet.
JMan

• Posted: 03/09/2013 19:35
  • Post subject:
Ochurch25 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. That's an impressive chart you have there. I shall have to look into 1976. Smile Any recommendations for albums to listen to from 70's era?

My favourite decade is probably the 90’s but I'm still not sure. I like 90’s albums such as Automatic For The People, The Bends and In The Aeroplane Over The Sea but then there is iconic albums from other decades that I haven't listened to yet.

From what I've heard, look up Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zeppelin IV, Damn the Torpedoes, Leftoverture, and Astral Weeks.
For 1976, just listen to albums in the top 20 1976 albums on BEA.
If you want some of my personal 70's favorites, look up Bat Out of Hell, which you might find alright.

But first... look up Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. An amazing performace by all the band members.
moojakptorei

• Posted: 03/09/2013 19:42
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
From what I've heard, look up Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zeppelin IV, Damn the Torpedoes, Leftoverture, and Astral Weeks.
For 1976, just listen to albums in the top 20 1976 albums on BEA.
If you want some of my personal 70's favorites, look up Bat Out of Hell, which you might find alright.

But first... look up Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. An amazing performace by all the band members.

I have Rumours and Dark Side Of The Moon on a list of albums I want to listen to.

Here it is -

Albums I want to listen to:
Pearl Jam - Ten ✅
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream ✅
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Radiohead - Kid A ✅
AC/DC - Back In Black
The Doors - The Doors ✅
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted ✅
Beck - Odelay ✅
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Dr. Feelgood - Down By The Jetty
The Cult - Love
Arcade Fire - Funeral

I will have to out some more 70's albums on there.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/09/2013 19:45
  • Post subject:
For me it's easily the 90s.

R.E.M., who stand as my favourite band, were in their hayday, alongside Oasis, Belle and Sebastion, Smashing Pumpkins. Then you've got gems like In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, Laughing Stock, Loveless, Ágætis Byrjun.
Heck, even rap was finding it's magnum opus - Illmatic, 36 Chambers and Ready To Die.

Damn, the more I think about it the more I agree with myself.