Bruce Springsteen gets boring...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 03/12/2013 17:00
  • Post subject: Bruce Springsteen gets boring...
... after repeatedly listening to him for a few years. There is only so much times I can hear 'Born In The USA', 'Dancing In The Dark', 'Cover Me', 'Hungry Heart', 'Radio Nowhere', 'Brilliant Disguise' and I think I had passed all those times.

Especially the first two albums. Apart from 'Growin Up' they just irritate me.

I thought Bruce was forever Confused Perhaps it wasn't the case...

• Posted: 03/12/2013 17:04
  • Post subject:
I must admit that Born In The USA (the album) does little for me anymore, though I still find myself going back to Darkness On The Edge of Town and Nebraska quite a lot, and Born To Run, The River and The Wild, The Innocent... every so often. Live at Hammersmith Odeon '75 is probably the Springsteen release I revisit most these days though, and is definitely worth checking out if you want to rekindle your Springsteen love.
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 03/12/2013 17:10
  • Post subject:
I've had a similar experience. In late 2011 I was very into his music, but it just seems to fade more and more over time. Saw him live last summer, and during the whole concert I felt like it was something I should be more involved in
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/12/2013 17:19
  • Post subject:
I'd definitely listen to those songs less. If I heard them over and over, I'd be tired of him, too.

Like lethal says...Darkness and Nebraska are the best places to go for his studio work. Born In The USA is one that has always irritated me. But there are other albums to explore, too. Tunnel Of Love is really overlooked, and is a very good album. Lucky Town is pretty good, too. And The Seeger Sessions is a whole other side to him.

The best way to renew your faith in Bruce, though, is through his live work. Hammersmith Odeon is great...but the best is going to be Live In New York City. Get the DVD. The CD is 20 tracks...the DVD is 25, and the setlist (and the performance) is prime Springsteen. The DVD is better because you get more tracks, and you get to see the performance, which is the best part of Bruce. His better later songs like American Skin (41 Shots) andf Land Of Hope And Dreams are also included.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 03/12/2013 17:41
  • Post subject:
Some people compare him to Meat Loaf. As a huge Meat fan, I have to say his most famous song, Born to Run, is nothing like Meat Loaf.

• Posted: 03/12/2013 17:44
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Some people compare him to Meat Loaf. As a huge Meat fan, I have to say his most famous song, Born to Run, is nothing like Meat Loaf.

I'd have to agree that he is nothing like Meat Loaf.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 03/12/2013 17:46
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:

What? Who compares him to Meatloaf? Strange.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 03/12/2013 17:49
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
What? Who compares him to Meatloaf? Strange.

I've read about it on music articles from a couple music websites. I think one was Rolling Stone.
Plus, Bruce Springsteen's Meat Loaf comparison is all over Wikipedia pages that even remotely mention either of the two.
And, a couple people from the Born to Run album are also on Bat Out of Hell.
Kiki

• Posted: 03/12/2013 19:03
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the input. I have neglected Live at Hammersmith Odeon '75 and the New York Live show so I'll give those a go. I have a 3 Disc live album also called Live 75-85.

Nebraska has a very unique quality to it and Darkness On The Edge Of Town and The Rising always have something to go to back to. 'Lonesome Day' is still my favorite songs and one of the only ones I have never stopped listening to.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/12/2013 19:16
  • Post subject:
Played Lonesome Day in my last band. Fun song to play!

JMan...I don't think people are comparing Bruce to Meat Loaf. I think you'll find it's more people comparing Meat Loaf to Bruce. That makes more sense.

And yes, Roy Bittan and Max Weinberg of The E Street Band played on 3 tracks on Bat Out Of Hell: You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth, Paradise By The Dashboard Light, and the title track. Bittan's work on the opening intro was one of the big highlights of the album. You'll also hear Todd Rundgren and Edgar Winter on the album as well.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website