• Post subject:
Last movie I watched was Hitchcock's Torn Curtain. 9/10
Before that was Top Secret! 7/10
ptaylor1989

United States

• Posted: 03/16/2013 02:50
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Lost in Translation. Although i watch that movie like bi-weekly so id be writing that in this thread a lot

My favorite movie in the world. I don't know much about movies but I'd go on and on about it if I could
useless

• Posted: 03/17/2013 11:12
  • Post subject:
Django Unchained-totally great, signifies the slight change of style Tarantino established with Inglourious Basterds to a more talkative and slow paced one. I agree to the ones who say that sometimes it drags somewhat more than he can handle (for example in the scene where they all have dinner in Candie's residence) but the whole package is filmed with such sense of mise-en-scene (especially at the parts that include landscapes of the nature) and the excitement comes in so many forms (the performances, especially the ultimately enjoyable Jackson and DiCaprio, the laugh-out-loud humor, the amazing, subtle way in which the characters develop, especially regarding Waltz's Schultz) that it's impossible to deny its greatness. That said, I liked Inglourious Basterds a tiny bit more.

• Posted: 03/17/2013 11:32
  • Post subject:
I watched The Golden Compass the other night. It was alright, though lacking any subtlety whatsoever (at one point Daniel Craig's character was walking through the snow and thought out load to himself something along the lines of "I better be careful, I might get attacked", and as he finished saying it he was attacked, which made me laugh out loud at the sheer contempt the scene had for its' audience), and the acting of some of the younger members of the cast - particularly the girl playing Lyra, although in fairness to her she had clearly been told to put on some weird working class Oliver Twist voice that was entirely unnatural and felt somewhat at odds with an upbringing that suggested a fair amount of privilege in relation to many of the other children in the movie - left a lot to be desired. There were a few times in the movie where I thought, "hang about, they need to explain something here because I'm being forced to assume a lot whilst at the same time being spoonfed certain information so obnoxiously that it's a little uncomfortable". All of that said, there was something quite endearing about the movie. I thought Nicole Kidman was pretty good considering how underdeveloped her character was, and the storyline regarding the bears was cool. Also, the final battle scene was very nicely choreographed, really quite powerful and definitely helped bring an uneven film to a tidy, satisfying end. I'm a little disappointed that there'll probably never be sequels, but it still stands alone as an interesting big budget family fantasy adventure. 5/10
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/17/2013 14:11
  • Post subject:
Watched 2001: A Space Odyssey. Some of it was pretty good, but at times it just felt like nothing was happening.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/17/2013 15:21
  • Post subject:
I watched Synecdoche, New York last night. I had a terrible tooth-ache, and combined with the "topic" of the film, it was the most painful experience of my life. I felt like crying throughout. Can't rate the film before watching it again though. Right now I can't tell if it was the most pretentious thing I have ever seen, or a potentially life changing experience. I could give it anything from 5 to 10.

OH, I also rewatched Garden State. Here's my comment (copied from my "film watching log/journal"):

i think i wasn't old or mature enough when I watched it back in… 2004? 2005? It has a delightful subtle, dry humour, and, even more importantly, heart to it. Which covers for occassional forced »quirkiness« (b/w shots?), and the fact that it's far from the first movie in this style (e.g. Anderson's work, Ghost World, Lost in Translation). But it does that while still showing complete understanding for all of its characters. Two more things: Soundtrack is great (though some songs are better as standalones than in the context of the film), and Natalie is quite simply beautiful <3
9/10 (85/100)
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/24/2013 12:30
  • Post subject:
This week I have seen the following:

Mulholland Dr. (a rewatch): as good as I remember it, an incredibly sinister atmosphere, super unsettling. The most amazing thing is thinking about it afterwards, reading interpretations and finding out how it actually makes sense. it's on my IMDb list

The Perks of Being a Wallflower: I was caught by surprise by this one actually, as it started like those usual "social outcast coming of age"-teen flicks. But it eventually developed into something much more thoughtful. And quite downbeat. Which I liked. 8/10

Stranger than Paradise: I liked some aspects of it, but the acting was pretty weak, and there was not enough in the characters, or storyline, or dialogues for me... 6/10

Lost in Translation (rewatched): Similar to what I said about Garden State, I simply "get it" (or relate to it) more now, than when I first saw it (when I was 13 or 14). Murray is great, Scarlett is beautiful. Soundtrack too. -9/10

V leru (rewatched): This is a slovenian film (from 1999), kinda similar in style to Jarmusch (at least Stranger...), but IMO has a lot more going for it. AGAIN, same story as with Lost in Translation or Garden State, I can relate to it more personally now than before. Right now I believe this might be the best film to come from our country. It manages to avoid all those weaknesses that are so present in slovenian cinema - it actually has good dialogues, good characters, is a lot more subtle in telling the story, the acting is not "theatrical", it's just really really great. -9/10

Punch Drunk Love: Anderson is better here as a director than a writer, but either way, there's enough to it to be really enjoyable. I loved the somewhat surreal tone to it (fitting the main character), and Sandler is actually great. A wreck in the best way possible. 8/10

Des Hommes et des dieux: I didn't even wanna watch this. Dad did, and I joined him. But he quit after 40 mins. I quickly lost interest too. It wasn't poorly made, the actors were good... But I just didn't care by the end. Maybe it should have better pacing to it. Or whatever. 5/10

Moneyball: I kinda wished there was more substance to it (the characters, more thought about what it is they do, rather than just how they do it), but it was very enjoyable, still. I like seeing a film about this side of sports. Pitt was good. Again. 8/10
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/24/2013 12:48
  • Post subject:
Gojira (1954 original) Surprisingly powerful movie, and unlike the other Godzilla movies it really focuses on the human side. It's nice to see Godzilla as almost this force of nature, rather than some goofy hero punching ridiculous looking aliens. Only downside about the movie is how fake it looks sometimes but that can only be expected.
  • Visit poster's website
thursdayeno

• Posted: 03/24/2013 14:08
  • Post subject:
the master - glad i watched it i will probably watch it again in 2 months

life of pi - it was ok

trying to watch the movies showcased at the oscars so i can watch it and have an opinion

Anybody can make 'good' music. I make terrible music, which is what makes it so different, and therefore better. ~ Thom Yorke
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/24/2013 15:11
  • Post subject:
Argo
Moonrise Kingdom
Skyfall
The Master
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2
  • Visit poster's website