Have the _____ of the Day threads in their own forum section

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 03/18/2013 11:06
  • Post subject: Have the _____ of the Day threads in their own forum section
I say this because the forums overall are becoming more active, and some of the album/chart/world-album of the day threads have a tendency to fall to the second page within hours. The - of the day are one of the unique features of BEA and should remain one of the most prominent I think.

To expand a tad, I think there should also be a separate subforum for each (album, chart, and world-album), grouped together in a forum section (like I mean Best Ever Albums and Off Topic to be forum sections, I don't know if that's what they are actually called, and "Music" and "Suggestions" and such to be subforums). And, I think within each subforum, the topics should be fixed in their position - so that they can't be bumped and change the order (so it looks neat and organised, chart number 300 goes behind 301 and in front of 299).

Just my opinion. It would also be easier to navigate through all of the, say, chart of the day threads.
moojakptorei

• Posted: 03/18/2013 16:39
  • Post subject:
I agree, I think that the chart, album and world album of the day could be sticky topics for that day.
JMan

• Posted: 03/18/2013 17:05
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I like this. Great idea!
Evandar

• Posted: 03/18/2013 22:24
  • Post subject:
I can't say I agree. It's a nice addition to the forums, for sure, but I'm wary about you making too many stickies, they tend to make forums look messy. Neither do I want it to be posted in a separate forum. I like it when such posts are a part of the overall discussion traffic.
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 03/19/2013 13:52
  • Post subject:
I would love that
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2013 20:06
  • Post subject:
I definitely agree that there should be a separate forum for the album/chart of the day threads, but I don't think they need their own subforums.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/20/2013 07:27
  • Post subject:
I think we've discussed and voted on this before when we talked about a forum re-organisation. In the end, the conclusion was that people wanted to keep everything together rather than have to look in multiple places for the threads they were interested in. One of the purposes of the album/chart of the day is to help seed debate. I could look at trying to sticky the current day's choice, but the posts are automated and I'd have to un-sticky the previous day's thread to do this and I'm trying to reduce the amount of admin I'm having to do on the site (I'll see if there's a way I can automate it). If anybody isn't aware, there is a way of viewing the album/chart of the day history in chronological sequence from the new page which was created a couple of weeks ago.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/20/2013 14:20
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
If anybody isn't aware, there is a way of viewing the album/chart of the day history in chronological sequence from the new page which was created a couple of weeks ago.

First I'll say, thank you for this useful link. However, I want to point out that now this is the only place I know to find this link. I think it would be useful to at least have it automatically shown in each upcoming album/chart/world-album of the day, something like "click here for the full ___ of the day history". This is, if their own forums will not be made in the future, which I still think is worth reconsidering.

So with that out of the way, overall your response bothered me because I felt like I wasn't heard. Forgive me if I'm wrong. The feeling is mostly towards those forum links. The topics were posted a year ago and discuss something I feel is too different to apply much here. This is about just one aspect and not about restructuring all topics on the Music subforum into separate categories. It's also about a specific observation, which has to do with BEA's growing popularity, which makes topics posted a year ago much less relevant to me.

I also want to note that there is already a separate subforum than the music one - the "Games" subforum.

So, anyway...

albummaster wrote:
One of the purposes of the album/chart of the day is to help seed debate.

If you feel this is the main reason to keep things as they are then I respect that. I suppose stickies could work good enough, if they can be automated.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/22/2013 15:49
  • Post subject:
Apologies for the delay in responding. My day job is getting in the way quite a bit at the moment.

The Poe wrote:
First I'll say, thank you for this useful link. However, I want to point out that now this is the only place I know to find this link. I think it would be useful to at least have it automatically shown in each upcoming album/chart/world-album of the day, something like "click here for the full ___ of the day history". This is, if their own forums will not be made in the future, which I still think is worth reconsidering.

The link to the history of album/chart of the day does already appear in the text at the bottom of each post for recent albums/charts of the day (it was added during the March site update a couple of weeks ago).

The Poe wrote:
So with that out of the way, overall your response bothered me because I felt like I wasn't heard. Forgive me if I'm wrong. The feeling is mostly towards those forum links. The topics were posted a year ago and discuss something I feel is too different to apply much here. This is about just one aspect and not about restructuring all topics on the Music subforum into separate categories. It's also about a specific observation, which has to do with BEA's growing popularity, which makes topics posted a year ago much less relevant to me.

albummaster wrote:
One of the purposes of the album/chart of the day is to help seed debate.

If you feel this is the main reason to keep things as they are then I respect that. I suppose stickies could work good enough, if they can be automated.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was dismissing your suggestion entirely, because I'm not. The way that the forum restructuring related to your suggestion is that we spent a long time discussing how the forums could be subdivided and the idea of holding the items of the day fell outside the structure of what we had tentatively agreed. So, the idea of stickying the album/chart of the day thread for the relevant day would work the best with the current forum structure.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/22/2013 17:20
  • Post subject:
Thanks very much for responding. Maybe I wasn't in the best mood when I responded last time. Thank you for hearing me out.

One last thing I want to say: I feel that stickying might not work, because that could potentially make the topics more ignored from being grouped with site promotion and awareness-type threads. We'll see what happens, hopefully I'm wrong.

And I want to ask.. Do you believe there will ever be a time in the future where forum restructuring will become necessary? (My mistake if this was already discussed in the linked thread)

albummaster wrote:
The link to the history of album/chart of the day does already appear in the text at the bottom of each post for recent albums/charts of the day (it was added during the March site update a couple of weeks ago).

I could have sworn I looked and didn't see it, but looking now... yea, it's there. Whoops on my part.