0%
 0%  [0]
Oh My Gawd!!!...The Flaming Lips
0%
 0%  [0]
Telepathic Surgery
3%
 3%  [2]
In a Priest Driven Ambulance (with Silver Sunshine Stares)
3%
 3%  [2]
Hit to Death in the Future Head
0%
 0%  [0]
Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
1%
 1%  [1]
Clouds Taste Metallic
9%
 9%  [5]
Zaireeka
1%
 1%  [1]
The Soft Bulletin
28%
 28%  [15]
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
39%
 39%  [21]
At War with the Mystics
7%
 7%  [4]
Embryonic
1%
 1%  [1]
The Terror
1%
 1%  [1]
Total Votes : 53

Wombi
  • Posted: 03/31/2013 13:39
  • Post subject: The Flaming Lips appreciation thread

One of the most likable bands on the planet (and my personal favourite, and I know I'm not the only one). So I decided to start this thread because...they deserve one. A career now spanning four decades and with no sign of failing to stay relevant amidst new bands popping up every second (many who would have been heavily influenced by FL). The Flaming Lips, I think, have transcended categorisation and comparison by doing so many different things yet all of them carrying that unmistakable Lips feeling.
The current core unit of Wayne Coyne, Steven Drozd and Michael Ivins is a perfect symbol of unity.

I'm commemorating the release of their 13th studio album The Terror (which I haven't heard yet) by listening to their album discography from beginning to end (including the four albums they made before signing to WB that I haven't heard yet, I know I know - how can I call myself a fan) and I'll probably comment on each on this thread (and maybe on some of their many many side releases).

Thoughts on The Flaming Lips? On their work? Has anyone heard any of their more ambitious stuff, like their 6 hour song? or their 24 hour song???

drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 03/31/2013 13:45
  • Post subject:
They come to Paris next month, so I'm going to their concert! I'm so excited, it will be the best of my life.

I started with Yoshimi, which is still my favorite, and then I listened to their albums in an anti-chronological order. My second favorite of theirs is In A Priest Driven Ambulance, and I have yet to hear Telepathic Surgery. I have also heard At War With The Mystics, which was bad, and Embryonic, which was... strange. I need to relishes to it.

Anyway, The FL easily make the top 5 of my favorite bands ever.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 03/31/2013 13:47
  • Post subject:
Yoshimi is a masterpiece!!

• Visit poster's website
L Lawliet
  • Posted: 03/31/2013 13:57
  • Post subject:
I adore Telepathic Surgery and Embryonic. Everything else ranges from okay to some of the worst music I have heard. Although I guess that just means there is something for everyone.

I would like to know what people see in the Soft Bulletin though because all I can hear is a whiny guy singing about nothing with an incredibly dull band accompanying him. Race For The Prize and Feeling Yourself Disintegrate are the exceptions.

Justice is not a frivolous thing, Simpson. It has little if anything to do with a disobedient whale.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia
  • Posted: 03/31/2013 14:15
  • Post subject:
Race For The Prize is one of the lesser songs on The Soft Bulletin. Waiting For Superman, Suddenly Everything Has Changed, The Gash and Feeling Yourself Disintegrate are way better. Flaming Lips are pretty great. I don't know what their best album is. I hope their new one is awesome.

Last edited by SquishypuffDave on 03/31/2013 14:18; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
thursdayeno
  • Posted: 03/31/2013 14:17
  • Post subject:
coyne has some of the best hair in the business

Anybody can make 'good' music. I make terrible music, which is what makes it so different, and therefore better. ~ Thom Yorke
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States
  • Posted: 03/31/2013 14:59
  • Post subject:
Clouds Taste Metallic > The Soft Bulletin >> Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots > At War with the Mystics

I'm planning on picking up Transmissions from the Satellite Heart and Hit to Death in the Future Head soon.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 03/31/2013 16:32
  • Post subject:
Their music is pretty much flawless, though I admit it's not ALL for me. Soft Bulletin is probably my favorite of theirs (I know, I know, I'm a conformist), but Clouds Taste Metallic and Yoshimi are up there as well. I've seen them live once, and that was pretty incredible.
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 03/31/2013 17:14
  • Post subject:
I'd never considered myself a fan of the Flaming Lips until I got last.fm and it was in my top 10 most listened to bands. They're really great, never afraid to do something different and seem like great guys. They're music is both fun and deep, which for the most part makes it flawless - you don't get many fun albums on this site.

Yoshimi is my favourite, and whilst The Soft Bulletin is vastly superior musically, it doesn't feel as focused or complete.
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 03/31/2013 17:20
  • Post subject:
The Flaming Lips and The Beatles are tied on my 'greatest artists ever list' around number 7. That's how good they are.

SquishypuffDave wrote:
Race For The Prize is one of the lesser songs on The Soft Bulletin. Waiting For Superman, Suddenly Everything Has Changed, The Gash and Feeling Yourself Disintegrate are way better. Flaming Lips are pretty great. I don't know what their best album is. I hope their new one is awesome.

And those are all great songs Smile But I disagree with Race For The Prize being lesser.. it's one of the Lips best songs in their discography in my opinion. Waiting For A Superman & Suddenly Everything Has Changed are also perfect songs off The Soft Bulletin.

The Soft Bulletin is really amazing... I can't wait to get it on vinyl one day. The only copy I actually have of it is a CD version that was stolen from a thrift shop I think Think

A band that can range from Hear It Is, to Yoshimi, to Telepathic Surgery, is incredible. Pink Floyd changed genres just as much...

But yeah. I like them Smile