Songs with a Specific Instrument

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 04/12/2013 01:17
  • Post subject: Songs with a Specific Instrument
I know very little about music technically. I just know I like the sound of it. Based purely upon its sound, I really adore a few instruments. The lute, most of all. It just has that incredibly unique (which I'm sure can be a hindrance, since it probably isn't as universal for all genres, as say, a guitar) sound. It really brings to mind a bygone age. I wish it was used in more modern music.

Now, my idea for this thread is that it can be sort of a recommendations topic. For instance "Hey, I really love the sarangi, any songs that implements it well?"
In another thread somebody was asking for a song with xylophone in it, so this could sort of work as a place to ask for songs with xylophones in them (speaking of them, wouldn't it be cool if there was an album that was based on the alphabet? 26 tracks, alliterative lyrics, only using instruments that started with that letter, etc)

God, I go on tangents. Anyways, here you are, I hope this thread works as well as it does in my mind. If it is a failure, it can always be deleted.

And if you know any songs that do implement the lute well, please do tell. Smile
undefined

• Posted: 04/12/2013 01:40
  • Post subject:
Have you ever listened to Julian Bream? He's a terrifically skilled classical Guitarist and lutenist who's done some amazing things with the Renaissance lute. I'd highly recommend you check him out if you're a fan of the lute.
Anyway, my favorite instrument is probably the piano. I'm more likely to enjoy a song if it features a piano. Practically any Liszt piano composition is bound to be sublime if performed by a proficient pianist. As for more contemporary piano, I'm a big Tori Amos fan, and I'm partial to Christopher O'Riley's impressionistic piano transcriptions of Radiohead songs. Also there's a young classical pianist, Conrad Tao, whom I have been following lately. He's very young and he's already amassed quite a buzz in the contemporary classical world. I definitely feel he has potential

• Posted: 04/12/2013 01:45
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Have you ever listened to Julian Bream? He's a terrifically skilled classical Guitarist and lutenist who's done some amazing things with the Renaissance lute. I'd highly recommend you check him out if you're a fan of the lute.
Anyway, my favorite instrument is probably the piano. I'm more likely to enjoy a song if it features a piano. Practically any Liszt piano composition is bound to be sublime if performed by a proficient pianist. As for more contemporary piano, I'm a big Tori Amos fan, and I'm partial to Christopher O'Riley's impressionistic piano transcriptions of Radiohead songs. Also there's a young classical pianist, Conrad Tao, whom I have been following lately. He's very young and he's already amassed quite a buzz in the contemporary classical world. I definitely feel he has potential

No, I have not, thank you!

The piano is definitely something special. You can basically bang it randomly and it still sounds pretty good. It is incredibly universal at just making really beautiful music of all kinds.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2013 01:45
  • Post subject:
I love the tambura. I know The Beatles use it in some of their more Eastern songs, but I particularly love it in Ravi Shankar's music. If anyone is interested I really recommend his albums The Sounds of India and Three Ragas. Oh and of course there's some of the best sitar playing on it.
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/12/2013 01:49
  • Post subject:
The Brian Jonestown Massacre use the Sitar a lot and it sounds awesome.The sitar is mostly used in Indian music but it really fits in well with psychedelic rock. I wish it was used more often.
  • Visit poster's website
joshtraina

• Posted: 04/12/2013 02:05
  • Post subject:
Xylophones
sheep21

Australia

• Posted: 04/12/2013 02:40
  • Post subject:
Sitar is an instrument I enjoy hearing.

Some may know I do not like the sound of violins, with very little songs with violins in them I like but there are a few(Eleanor Rigby, Bittersweet Symphony and a few others). This has caused me to go off a lot of classical music, meaning the classical I listen too is generally pure brass stuff.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2013 02:41
  • Post subject:
Anyone know any good songs with a guitar?
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/12/2013 02:42
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Anyone know any good songs with a guitar?

What's a guitar?
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2013 02:43
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
What's a guitar?

It's kind of like a Tissue Box with rubber bands attached
  • Visit poster's website