Album of the day (#880): The Wall by Pink Floyd

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2013 21:52
  • Post subject:
I should say something good about the album. It's not a very consistent album, but there are some shining moments, Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, Comfortably Numb, Hey You, Young Lust, and Mother (to a lesser extent).

• Posted: 04/15/2013 00:39
  • Post subject:
A mediocre album at best. It's highs may be very high, but that doesn't make up for the unnecessary length, approximate 50% rate of throwaway tracks, and a general tendency to let the storyline encroach on the music. That being said, "The Trial" is among my favorite Pink Floyd tracks.
thursdayeno

• Posted: 04/15/2013 01:46
  • Post subject:
the trial is probably my favorite song but i really like a lot of them

the only real low points for me are some of waters vocals

this is a great album that i should probably listen to more

Anybody can make 'good' music. I make terrible music, which is what makes it so different, and therefore better. ~ Thom Yorke
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 04/15/2013 01:53
  • Post subject:
There are a couple good tracks, but for the most part I find it be an album that truly warrants the word pretentious. It also sucks anyways. Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2 is quite possibly the most overrated song on the god damn planet. I mean, there are plenty of songs I enjoy which can be repetitive, but the song never goes fucking anywhere. Gilmour's solo is cool, but not enough to save the song from being shit. Comfortably Numb and Nobody Home are amazing tracks, and if they had been on a better album I would have been happy, but The Wall is pretty much awful in every way.

Also, I wouldn't want myself to be identified as the rock opera guy, but I doubt Jman is.
joshtraina

• Posted: 04/15/2013 01:55
  • Post subject:
My least favorite of the big four Pink Floyd albums.
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2013 02:24
  • Post subject:
ColumnatedRuins wrote:
Shame on Roger Waters for taking Syd Barrett's awesome psych band and turning it into this.

I would have hated to see what Syd Barrett would have done with Syd Barrett's awesome psych band.
ColumnatedRuins

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2013 03:34
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
I would have hated to see what Syd Barrett would have done with Syd Barrett's awesome psych band.

Hahahaha I deleted my comment (trying to stop saying needlessly negative things about music I really don't like, especially stuff I admittedly haven't heard in a little while), but as far as I'm concerned Barrett was still making worthwhile music right until he stopped releasing records in 1970. By then, Waters had pretty much finished ruining Pink Floyd (or turning the band into awful, awful bland stadium rock). So, Barrett almost outlasted them in making good stuff, tbh
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2013 03:41
  • Post subject:
ColumnatedRuins wrote:
Hahahaha I deleted my comment (trying to stop saying needlessly negative things about music I really don't like, especially stuff I admittedly haven't heard in a little while), but as far as I'm concerned Barrett was still making worthwhile music right until he stopped releasing records in 1970. By then, Waters had pretty much finished ruining Pink Floyd (or turning the band into awful, awful bland stadium rock). So, Barrett almost outlasted them in making good stuff, tbh

You think Pink Floyd was ruined by 1970? So you dismiss DSOTM, WYWH, and Animals too? If so, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
ColumnatedRuins

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2013 03:46
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
You think Pink Floyd was ruined by 1970? So you dismiss DSOTM, WYWH, and Animals too? If so, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

"Ruined" may have been a little overstatement but I am assuredly not a fan of any of those records. So yes, I do. They have their moments, they aren't as much of a drag as The Wall, but the last solid Floyd record was A Saucerful for Secrets for me. And even that one had some weak tracks.

I'm more of a Piper at the Gates of Dawn fan instead of a Pink Floyd fan, I suppose
  • Visit poster's website
Shadow23

Denmark

• Posted: 04/15/2013 06:53
  • Post subject:
This is one of the most frightening, beautiful albums I've ever heard. Roger Waters' ability to scare me remains at its peak. It's like looking at the stars a chilly night - it has the same beauty - but there's something disturbing on The Wall that I cannot describe, and I won't even try.

Best tracks: Hey You, Nobody Home, Comfortably Numb, Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2), all the rest of them.

My #9 of all time