31%
 31%  [9]
Total Votes : 29

Happymeal

• Posted: 04/18/2013 15:24
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Neutral

you're kidding right? pharrell's never sounded better from what i can hear...he's actually probably my favourite part of the track (which is saying something)

Well, not exactly. The vocals sound good, but that doesn't make them stop being annoying. I feel the vocals just don't go well with the instrumental, and because the instrumental is very good (in my opinion) the vocals just ruin the song for me. That's not to say it's a bad song, I just get annoyed by it.
purple

• Posted: 04/18/2013 15:27
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
their biggest selling point is the fun factor

... and that's all they need. The way in which most people in this thread are talking about overated-ness, innovation, and influence is making me flaccid.

• Posted: 04/18/2013 15:28
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
... and that's all they need. The way in which most people in this thread are talking about overated-ness, innovation, and influence is making me flaccid.

Good, you're less intimidating when you're flaccid.
Wombi

• Posted: 04/18/2013 15:29
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
is making me flaccid.

it's about time something did.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/18/2013 15:37
  • Post subject:
I sure could do with a good Daft Punk album for the summer, so hopes are high around here. I like "Get Lucky", typically the kind of feel good hit that isn't going to leave my head as long as the sun shines. The guitar riff shines.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/18/2013 15:40
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
The guitar riff shines.

This. It's made me even more excited to see Nile Rodgers this summer.
joyofdivision

• Posted: 04/18/2013 18:56
  • Post subject:
Love the leaked track, and there's nothing wrong with feelgood party music. Don't need a critic to tell me whether its innovative or not as long as it puts a smile on my face and makes me wanna dance. Really looking forward to the new album now Very Happy
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/18/2013 19:48
  • Post subject:
I've been listening to "Get Lucky" over and over again. I need to have a full on rave when the album comes out. Anyone with me?

• Posted: 04/19/2013 01:22
  • Post subject:
Ok, so forget what I said about the song being just "fine." It is extremely catchy. I can't stop listening to it.
purple

• Posted: 04/19/2013 04:17
  • Post subject:
Since this is a Daft Punk hype thread, I'll dump some stuff that most of you have probably seen but that hasn't (I don't think) been mentioned in the thread yet.

There's a collaborators series going on, in which each collaborator has a small video interview talking about their experience working with Daft Punk. Thus far the series includes interviews from Giorgio Moroder, Todd Edwards, Nile Rodgers, and Pharrell Williams (and another is supposed to come out in a few hours, I believe). I'm especially looking forward to the dazed out interviews from Panda Bear and Julian Casablancas. A motif among the interviews is that "it's ironic that robots are bringing soul back to music" (or, "going back to go forward") in reference to the (I'm guessing) primarily disco influence on the album as well as the amount of live instrumentation on an album from a group that primarily produces electronic music. The videos thus far (and even the sun shot in the Coachella "Get Lucky" preview) all suggest an '80s Miami-esque feel.

Link

Link

Link

Link

Beyond the musical change this album is expected to signify for the group, they've also made a fashion change. Here's a diagram showing the changes to the helmets, gloves, etc. that they've made through the years. Whereas they previously wore charcoal suits or jumpsuits, now they've picked up a new line from Saint Laurent. Their heavily-sequined suits make them look like walking disco balls, and the new chains they're sporting remind me of Lonely Island's motherlovers. They are also now using clear instruments.

The supposed cover of their first single, "Get Lucky" is a reference to the movie THX 1138. For those who haven't seen it, a short summary from Wikipedia says THX 1138 "depicts a dystopian future in which the populace is controlled through android police officers and mandatory use of drugs that suppress emotion, including sexual desire."

We so excited