NBA Offseason 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Silver

• Posted: 07/12/2014 23:42
  • Post subject:
Good move from LeBron, Cleveland is lucky that they have the hometown sentimentality going for them.

In other news I'm really hoping that Houston doesn't match because the Mavericks need someone young, even if Parsons is overpaid.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2014 00:26
  • Post subject:
Trevor Ariza has left washington and now I'm sad.

Now I have to place my hope in Otto Porter.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 07/13/2014 02:37
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
Good move from LeBron, Cleveland is lucky that they have the hometown sentimentality going for them.

Three number one draft picks in four years could be considered a tad lucky as well. Either god changed his mind about Cleveland or he's just toying with them before lebron's career-ending injury.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2014 03:14
  • Post subject:
Honestly never been huge on Lebron but I've got so much family out in Ohio it's nice to see that a cleveland team might finally do well, especially after the recent Indians heartbreaker years ... their slogan was legitimately "What if?" one year ...

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2014 04:10
  • Post subject:
PAUL PIERCE IS A WIZARD

This is awesome

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Hammy

• Posted: 07/13/2014 05:06
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
The Wolves are demanding Wiggins in exchange for Love, but I think the Cavs are right to take that off the table. If they jettison their young talent, the Cavs become the Heat part 2, a short-term power house doomed to gradually decay under the weight of its large contracts for aging players.

and if I were a Cleveland sports fan I'd trade whatever comes afterwards for just one championship. -be it a few years of mediocrity after Lebron or what not- Wiggins or Bennett for Love, or both even, I'd pull the trigger on that sign and trade in a heartbeat. There's no guarantee Wiggins doesn't bust either.

Varejão-Love-James-Irving is a core that can compete year one.

anyways genuinely surprised Ariza is the best the Rockets could pull off, so far, in free agency. If Carmelo had wanted to win he should have gone there, same could be said for Lebron.

RockyRaccoon wrote:
PAUL PIERCE IS A WIZARD

This is awesome

he's so old though, gotta wonder what he has left in the tank
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 07/13/2014 05:17
  • Post subject:
Tonality wrote:
and if I were a Cleveland sports fan I'd trade whatever comes afterwards for just one championship. -be it a few years of mediocrity after Lebron or what not- Wiggins or Bennett for Love, or both even, I'd pull the trigger on that sign and trade in a heartbeat. There's no guarantee Wiggins doesn't bust either.

There's no guarantee Love wins them a championship, either, especially since they'll need time to gel. I think the roster can compete without Love, but they'd be a longshot for a championship in year one. Year two, however, their young players improve and they still have cap space for another good player. I'm just not buying on the pundits who say Love is a must-sign right now.

They've already offered Bennett, btw, but the Wolves aren't biting on that. I don't think he's viewed as particularly valuable anymore.
Hammy

• Posted: 07/13/2014 05:27
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
There's no guarantee Love wins them a championship, either, especially since they'll need time to gel. I think the roster can compete without Love, but they'd be a longshot for a championship in year one. Year two, however, their young players improve and they still have cap space for another good player. I'm just not buying on the pundits who say Love is a must-sign right now.

They've already offered Bennett, btw, but the Wolves aren't biting on that. I don't think he's viewed as particularly valuable anymore.

I don't know who's even available next year, not that waiting a year isn't a viable option, still this is banking on the notion that all of their young players will improve in just one year time. The East is so weak right now I do think they could at least make it to the Finals year one with Love. they have 82 game to gel

and yeah I've seen a few trade scenarios, they would want to throw in Bennett because frankly, right now, he sucks but it's not like he has no potential.

Well in the end this is Cleveland, it's not like I expect them to do everything or much of anything right, though I'd love to see them win.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 07/13/2014 12:41
  • Post subject:
What I find especially interesting about the whole thing is the way Lebron's contract is designed. At the moment, it's only a two-year contract, with an option to opt out after one. The two-year length is supposedly due to the expected increase in max contracts after the NBA's big TV deal in 2016, but the one-year opt-out? I think this is basically Lebron's way of saying, "I'm signing with you, but I'm going to hold all the power." He wants to make sure they feel under the gun -- if the front office isn't committed to winning or makes bad basketball moves, he might leave. So the decision to keep Wiggins could be coming from Lebron. He doesn't want the franchise to be a short-term powerhouse, he wants them to be legit contenders for many years to come.

Anyway, I'm not speaking from the point of view of a Cleveland fan, but of a basketball fan. I don't want to see the Big Three part 2, we've been down that road. I'm not even convinced the big three model applies to Lebron; that is, I don't think he necessarily needs two elite players at his side to win a championship, just one other elite player and depth. In 2009-2010, he led the Cavs to 61 wins without any elite players at his side. He's shown he can win as part of a big three, but I think he was still taking on too much of the load in Miami, especially as Wade was aging. You're right that there are no guarantees that the young talent on the Cavs will pan out, but if they do, Cleveland could be contenders for 10+ years. I think that's what Lebron really wants for Cleveland and, frankly, I don't blame him.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 07/15/2014 12:37
  • Post subject:
Looks like NBA execs are roughly split on this subject. (7-5 in favor of keeping Wiggins)