Vs.

BIG COUNTRY (Coach: Happymeal)

BEA Rank: 1048

Last edited by videoheadcleaner on 05/13/2013 08:46; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal
  • Posted: 05/10/2013 20:52
  • Post subject:
How to start this off? Well, i doubt it helps one of the few reasons I've even heard about Big Country was that me and one of my friends used to play "In A Big Country" quite often in rock band 3. Well, aside from that, there's quite a bit you might gain from listening to Big Country. Alright, perhaps you'll get nothing as they really have only around 3, maybe 4 worthwhile albums. Anyways, onto the promotion of this band. Big Country actually started as a five piece band which would (in a matter of a few years) turn into the classic line up of the 4 band members Stuart Adamson, Bruce Watson, Tony Butler, and Mark Brzezicki. Their first success in the commercial world started with this awesome piece of celtic rock:

Link

Now, onto The Crossing:

It starts off with arguably one of the best songs in the genre of celtic rock:

Link

Yes! "In a big country", the song probably everyone knows them for, and it's great. Why is it great? Perhaps because it has this really cool guitar rift throughout, reminiscent of bagpipes of course (one of Big Country's defining features). Perhaps it's because of the awesome drum intro or the harmonious vocals. Big Country knows how to make some great harmonies, that's for sure, and this song definitely proves they had what it takes to create something great.

What's next? Well, a few other song really caught my attention on The Crossing, the two main ones being "Chance" and "The Storm".

With "Chance", they take a break from the "big" song they had created and make possibly one of their best works.

Link

Chance is certainly a great tune for these guys. When listening to The Crossing, I noticed this track mainly because of the different direction they take sound-wise. Instead of the really "big" sound they've created (and perfected to some extent), they go with this more mellow sound, and it works out perfectly.

The other track I really feel deserves some attention is "The Storm". In this song, they take this very "ancient" sounding tune and just make it perfect (in my opinion).

Link

And boy do they make this sound great. Their vocals have some of the greatest harmonies on here, their defining guitar sound is definitely present here, and they make a really interesting tune.

Overall, The Crossing is a great album full of these wonderfully "full" tunes that includes many of the band's best stuff. Try The Crossing out!

Also, their follow - up, Steeltown, is great too:

A few more mellow(ish) tracks, but they definitely kept their defining features as far as sound goes in this album, and did great with Steeltown (may or may not expand).
JMan
  • Posted: 05/10/2013 23:57
  • Post subject:
I've heard both bands. I just don't like Big Country, so The Cars it is.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia
  • Posted: 05/12/2013 10:49
  • Post subject:
Closing tomorrow. No Big Country fans?
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia
  • Posted: 05/13/2013 08:45
  • Post subject: