Are you really giving all music the same chance?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 04/27/2013 21:17
  • Post subject: Are you really giving all music the same chance?
Hey, I think there are musical prejudices going on. Some people are fearful or fear liking certain albums because how others might perceive them. They won't admit to liking them or have them as "guilty pleasures". They listen to albums they don't like over 5 times and still insist on giving them more listens because they don't "get them" or "understand" them yet. At the same time, they rate albums very poorly which they have yet to even listen to once! Shocked Sometimes they may have heard one or two hit singles. These umbrellas called "indie" and "alternative" have many snobs.

It is 2013. This is not a BEA thing, this is everywhere. Music has too much people who take themselves too seriously. So much people are so stuck up with their "Art". Their musical "diversity". Their "ambient" nonsense.

Lighten up Shame on you

It is music.
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2013 21:25
  • Post subject:
Not for nothing, but haven't we tread this ground before?

It's not just a music related phenomenon. Fans of the new My Little Pony show swear up and down that the writing on the show rivals that of The Sopranos or The Wire, but that doesn't stop endless wars about the merit of it, nor people judging the show without viewing it. People have different tastes and different grading standards for all sorts of things.

Perhaps I'm not understanding where we're going with this thread.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
thursdayeno

• Posted: 04/27/2013 21:32
  • Post subject:
no, you understand

it is funny, i was watching a trailor for this gatsby movie coming out soon and beyonce is covering an amy winehouse song so i see if the full song is on youtube and there are people arguing that beyonce is one of the best singers.

she might be in the top 3000 singers in the world

Anybody can make 'good' music. I make terrible music, which is what makes it so different, and therefore better. ~ Thom Yorke

Last edited by thursdayeno on 04/27/2013 21:45; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/27/2013 21:36
  • Post subject:
There's no paradox when someone listens to an album 5 times and still wants to listen to it because s/he says s/he doesn't get it or understand it and when someone decides that an album is absolutely garbage only half way through. Sometimes you're indecisive about value of an album or your degree of enjoyment so you want to settle it with more listens but with some albums you see they're downright disgusting just with few songs. The difference is that you can decide on the value of the latter (for yourself not universally) but are indecisive about the former.

Last edited by Guest on 04/27/2013 21:39; edited 2 times in total
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/27/2013 21:37
  • Post subject: Re: Are you really giving all music the same chance?
an_outlaw wrote:
Hey, I think there are musical prejudices going on. Some people are fearful or fear liking certain albums because how others might perceive them. They won't admit to liking them or have them as "guilty pleasures". They listen to albums they don't like over 5 times and still insist on giving them more listens because they don't "get them" or "understand" them yet. At the same time, they rate albums very poorly which they have yet to even listen to once! Shocked Sometimes they may have heard one or two hit singles. These umbrellas called "indie" and "alternative" have many snobs.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 04/27/2013 21:53
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
There's no paradox when someone listens to an album 5 times and still wants to listen to it because s/he says s/he doesn't get it or understand it and when someone decides that an album is absolutely garbage only half way through. Sometimes you're indecisive about value of an album or your degree of enjoyment so you want to settle it with more listens but with some albums you see they're downright disgusting just with few songs. The difference is that you can decide on the value of the latter (for yourself not universally) but are indecisive about the former.

And is it a coincidence that the "smart" album, the "hip" album, the so called "Sacred Cow" albums always fall in the former category while the ones tared with "mainstream" get the latter?

• Posted: 04/27/2013 22:10
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
And is it a coincidence that the "smart" album, the "hip" album, the so called "Sacred Cow" albums always fall in the former category while the ones tared with "mainstream" get the latter?

Mainly yes (I mean no it's not coincidence but yes it's the case), because it's easy to decide on simple things and mainstream stuff tend to be more simple. Some of them are good, some of them are bad and deciding that (for yourself not universally) is mostly straightforward. It's the obscure and complex product that doesn't have the chance of getting mainstream and it's hard to decide if you get it and then whether if you enjoy it.
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/27/2013 22:18
  • Post subject: Re: Are you really giving all music the same chance?
There's nothing wrong with diversity. One man's meat is another man's incomprehensible wank.
  • Visit poster's website
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/27/2013 22:27
  • Post subject:
Generally, no. For example, if there was a band of a certain specific genre that I listened to, it's unlikely that I'll appreciate a band of the same genre, so would not tend to give them a listen. Or even something like a good album cover can draw me in more easily than a poor one.

I would seriously doubt that anyone gave every album they heard an equal playing field, but what's the point listening to something that you know you're going to dislike. Seems like a waste of time to me.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/27/2013 22:43
  • Post subject:
No, I don't think we necessarily should be giving all music an equal chance. If I spent all my time listening to music I have a 95+% chance of hating then I wouldn't get very far.