Thread Bashing

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 04/29/2013 03:27
  • Post subject: Thread Bashing
So what is it lately about thread bashing on BEA? I mean sure some threads may not be interesting to you but one thing is sure is that a thread filled with comments about how boring that thread is will be boring for everyone, you, the thread maker and the readers. If a thread is started that you do not have anything interesting to say about is started just ignore it and if you can think of how that thread could have been more interesting and how it could have started a discussion you want to have then instead of saying boring in the thread start your own thread.

It is one of the suggestions that has been made and albumaster has responded positively to it is that there should more sub-forums because lets face it, this is a site about music so basically nearly everything we want to say belongs in the Music forum (except maybe this thread I am making here now!!! Hum!). What I am saying is that with different sub-forums then one forum could be dedicated to polls and people who find polls boring would not have to witness them.

I find the idea of having a poll that pins 2 amazing albums against one another good because it forces me to really think about my music loving and make the hard choices. Do not forget that this is supposed to be a site about BEAST EVER ALBUMS so a discussion about 2 of the best albums ever and why someone loves one more than the other is exactly what this is about.

A poll that would pin two albums I do not know would be nice too and allow me to discover new music but apparently, no one is making that poll ...

When I was young, and that was a long time ago, we had an assignment in French class (which would be English class for most of you I guess). We had to bring two items and talk 5 minutes about it in front of the whole class. The horror!. people brought Moonstones, dinosaurs action figures and all sort of neat stuff, I bought a record of the Chipmunk and one of Elvis (yes, i was that young then). But at the last minute the teacher sprung a surprise on us and said we must give our 2 items to the person next to us and comment on the items given to us. Of course I was sitting next to the straight E student who hadn`t brought anything and who had to take 2 useless and random things he had on him such as a pencil and an eraser. Now of course, even though I had the crappiest objects in the class I ended up having the A+ because we were not graded on the quality of the objects we had but on how we found something interesting to find about it. I even finished my 5 minutes by thanking the failed idiot who had given me the objects with a sneer for giving me objects so full of things to be said about.

Of course if somebody starts multiple threads in a day or in a week that can appear as taking too much space, I agree, but currently -and I insist on saying currently- that is not happening. The only way I see thread being GARRYed lately is by thread bashers.

A thread can be bad or good but the ultimate measure is what the responders bring to it so if you have nothing to say to a thread, please, please, please (3 times like the Beatles) do not fill it with how much you find it boring, just ignore it and start one that will lead to the discussion YOU want to have.

I find it Earth shattering that a thread pinning Jim and the Doors against Jimy and his experience is considered spam on a site called Best Ever Album, are you people that jaded?

There, it is off my chest. I love you all, even the threatening Madvillains.

Go ahead moderators, move that thread where it really belongs now,
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/29/2013 03:30
  • Post subject:
Thank you, Robert. Nice post!

Moving to The Lounge.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Moved: 04/29/2013 03:31 by Romanelli
From Music to Lounge
gtroda

• Posted: 04/29/2013 03:36
  • Post subject:
Applause Applause Applause

Thank you. I agree.

To me the most annoying that that has been happening on the forums in the last few months is all the people complaining about how annoying the forums and/or specific threads are.

People need to realize that they don't have to participate in everything. Just because they find something boring doesn't mean everyone else does. Obviously the person that created it is interested in discussing it and there may just be a few others out there who are as well.

I've passed on several interesting threads lately because before I get to it there is a string of people whining about it.
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 04/29/2013 03:42
  • Post subject:
I mean JMan did push the envelope at some point I agree but he changed and made amends, now it is time for us all to do the same.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
thursdayeno

• Posted: 04/29/2013 03:52
  • Post subject:
yeah there was a small period where 3 people were making too many threads which was bad because it was something like 7 of the first 10 threads were bad.

i only voiced my opinion one time i think and since then i haven't really had a problem, but some people just don't want to have to dodge shit all of the time and it might cause them to miss something they don't want to miss.

Anybody can make 'good' music. I make terrible music, which is what makes it so different, and therefore better. ~ Thom Yorke
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 04/29/2013 04:35
  • Post subject:
This post did not exist.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/29/2013 12:21
  • Post subject:
Well said! Applause
Things appear to be improving of late (to a certain extent).

• Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/29/2013 12:25
  • Post subject:
Great post Robert. I think there's a lesson for all of us - me included, obviously - in that post. I particularly liked the analogy with the "show 'n' tell" class. From now on, I'm only going to be commenting negatively on threads whose OP makes a point I disagree or take issue with, and ignore those I think are pointless. It's of no benefit to anybody. Lastly, cheers for a nice read.
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 04/29/2013 14:23
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
This post did not exist.

10-4 the BEAlluminati strikes again.

If you can't see the FNORDs, they won't eat you.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
useless

• Posted: 04/29/2013 14:27
  • Post subject:
While this is an opinion that has been expressed multiple times during the last few weeks, this is for sure the most well-written text around this subject and definitely a necessary one to end this story, so congrats RAW! Very Happy