The Rolling Stones are a bunch of crashing bores

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 03/15/2013 20:02
  • Post subject: The Rolling Stones are a bunch of crashing bores
Listened to two greatest hits and many of the studio albums and there is next to nothing I would put on repeat. While The Beatles can write some catchy songs, their 2nd fiddle contemporaries and sometimes "rivals" give no enjoyment to me.

What's the point in me giving repeated listens until I get it? Thousands more artists out there and many more better than this shabby outfit. Fortunately, I don't know any big fans who would expose my to prolonged amounts of their music. I pity people who dislike them and are in such a situation. It must drive them up the wall.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/15/2013 20:05
  • Post subject: Re: The Rolling Stones are a bunch of crashing bores
They're not geniuses, but they've written some great rock tunes.

If you don't think so, that's cool - you shouldn't feel obliged to listen to it until it clicks, but every album or song is worth multiple listens, even if you don't like it.
KinkyAfro

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/15/2013 20:44
  • Post subject:
Im torn on this one as i have 2 complete opposite opinions regarding the Stones. if you take them from 68-72 i think they are brilliant, but anything outside of that period i think is just awful (and thats being polite).

Took me years to change my opinion on them, my old flatmate had 40 Licks and played it a lot, and I could have made do with 10-12 licks, the other songs made me just dismiss them.

I have 4 stones albums in my chart, and in my opinion, they are the only albums by them that you need, plus some singles you can count on 1 hand from the same era, give or take a couple of years either side.
saying that though, looking at some of the reviews on this site of the 20+ albums theyve done that I dont like, they must stike a chord with people as they seem to love some of them, but we all have different tastes which is fair enough.

Have a listen to Stray Cat Blues off Beggers Banquet, the dirty raw sound of the guitar on that is the song that for me sums up the era of the Stones that does it for me. Maybe its just not or you, if it isnt, then id just give up on them, its not meant to be!

I feel the same way about Bowie, tried to listen to him as popular opinion says hes great, but i just dont see it. not dismissing him as crap or anything like that (before i get abused), hes just not for me.
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2013 20:54
  • Post subject:
What's with all these "this band sucks" threads?
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/15/2013 20:55
  • Post subject:
I'd pick the Stones over The Beatles any day of the week. Everything from From Aftermath to Some Girls is fantastic IMO.

If you don't like them move on, you can't just force yourself to enjoy their music. Maybe they just aren't your thing?
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 03/15/2013 20:56
  • Post subject:
I'd pick them over the beatles, not because they're good by all means, the beatles just suck too much.

I dislike both bands though, Rolling stones to a lesser extent.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/15/2013 20:57
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I'd pick them over the beatles, not because they're good by all means, the beatles just suck too much.

I dislike both bands though, Rolling stones to a lesser extent.

I swear the only place I've seen you say positive things about music is your chart.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2013 21:03
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I swear the only place I've seen you say positive things about music is your chart.

And my chart. Check out his comment on my chart Razz
Happymeal

• Posted: 03/15/2013 21:04
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

I typically only say negative things about music in threads that are supposed to have a negative tone, unless I disagree.

Sure, I typically don't say a ton of positive things about music, but I can pinpoint plenty of things I've said that are positive.
JMan

• Posted: 03/15/2013 21:04
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
And my chart. Check out his comment on my chart Razz

Is there gonna be a negative remark on your chart? It's far too awesome for that. Anyway, I'm not big on Rolling Stones. I don't think they suck, they're style's just not for me.