Perception:Your "Best" Album vs Album You Listen T

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2013 18:38
  • Post subject: Perception:Your "Best" Album vs Album You Listen T
Bear with me. I've been thinking a lot about the distinction between the albums we truly love and the albums we want to love or appreciate so much that we rank them higher.

There are more avant garde records that I'm often tempted to add to my overall chart because of their obvious genius such as Trout Mask Replica, The Residents' Commercial Album and Zappa's Apostrophe, but as much as I admire and appreciate these records, there's other, simpler albums that I find myself returning to far far more.

Would you say that your #1 album is the album you return to the most? Or just the one that you respect the most?

My overall chart has always been based on personal taste and what affects me most. That #1 spot is probably totally interchangeable between all 100 albums based on my mood on any given day. So I gave that #1 slot to London Calling, because it's hard to imagine that I've listened to any other album nearly as much .
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 05/02/2013 18:41
  • Post subject: Re: Perception:Your "Best" Album vs Album You List
meccalecca wrote:
Bear with me. I've been thinking a lot about the distinction between the albums we truly love and the albums we want to love or appreciate so much that we rank them higher.

No.

• Posted: 05/02/2013 18:46
  • Post subject:
I've been listening to Kendrick's last album at least two or three times a week since it came out, and for the first three months probably daily. I've also been listening to 94diskont and Ege Bamyasi constantly too. I probably return to all of my Top 30 or 40 at least once a month. Often my bottom 20 or 30 are things that have been getting a lot of rotation. There are some albums on the chart that I haven't listened to in ages but I find it difficult to get rid of because of how much they mean to me (Baduizm and Hot Rats spring to mind). But yeah, my Top 100 goes through pretty regular updates depending on how I feel on any given day, so I guess this isn't something I particularly give too much thought to.
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2013 18:46
  • Post subject:
My #1 is pretty solidly my #1 at this point, and I honestly think it's the best album ever created. It's also the one that I go back to the most. Perhaps there are some albums on my chart that are more gimmicky, if that makes sense, but Pet Sounds is not one of them. Nor are any of the top 20, those are really the albums I love the most.

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/02/2013 18:49
  • Post subject:
My chart is all my favourite albums. At one point I really focused on listening to crazy, avant-garde stuff, and I definitely respect it, but also I find that even things like TMR are just fun for me. At this point I wouldn't add something to my chart that I don't enjoy a lot, personally. I don't care how influential or innovative it is, if it happens to be so, neat.

My number one doesn't get too much critical acclaim outside of freak-folky circles, and it certainly is influential to the likes of Devendra Banhart, Joanna Newsom, and other "freakfolk" artists, but I don't listen to it for that. I listen to it because it brings me the greatest joy.
I think those who only listen to music to respect it and examine its influence and so on, are definitely missing something. And the two can certainly coalesce, respectable albums and albums you love on a personal level.
Kiki

• Posted: 05/02/2013 18:51
  • Post subject:
My first post may have been a little harsh. To answer what else was said, I'll say the top of my chart is a lot more set the higher it goes. Near the bottom albums could jump 30-40 places if I find something new on a later listen.
JMan

• Posted: 05/02/2013 18:54
meccalecca wrote:
There are more avant garde records that I'm often tempted to add to my overall chart because of their obvious genius such as Trout Mask Replica, The Residents' Commercial Album and Zappa's Apostrophe, but as much as I admire and appreciate these records, there's other, simpler albums that I find myself returning to far far more.

That's the very philosophy my chart's built upon: judgement over favoritism. Exactly why I have a seperate favorites list in my custom charts! All those are the albums I return to the most.

Last edited by JMan on 05/02/2013 18:57; edited 1 time in total
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2013 18:54
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
There are some albums on the chart that I haven't listened to in ages but I find it difficult to get rid of because of how much they mean to me (Baduizm and Hot Rats spring to mind).

I think that says a lot. I guess some albums can leave a much more lasting impact without necessity for constant repeat listens. Swans entire discography basically works like that for me. Those albums hit with immense impact, but I return to them less because of it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2013 18:58
meccalecca wrote:

There are MUCH better Zappa albums than Apostrophe.. just sayin Razz
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2013 18:59
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
I think those who only listen to music to respect it and examine its influence and so on, are definitely missing something. And the two can certainly coalesce, respectable albums and albums you love on a personal level.

Yes. And I think that's exactly why "greatness" is impossible to rate. That whole scientific approach lacks soul. I think the listening experience requires a chemistry between the listener and the music. There needs to be something to connect and relate to.

also, Vashti Bunyan is incredible!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website