12%  [10]
No, neither are overrated
24%
 24%  [20]
Total Votes : 82

• Posted: 05/04/2013 22:53
  • Post subject:
soundguardian wrote:
I'm not exactly an ardent fan of either, although I enjoy both, and my music library incorporates their albums.

Are they overrated by their fans, and the general public? Yeah. So are a lot of bands. But those that don't like Oasis and Coldplay, as a result, insist on overcompensating in their disdain for the bands, and that ALSO annoys me. Those two attitudes are polar extremes, and everyone should remember that. It's one thing to be enthusiastic or disenchanted, and it's another thing to be fanatic or over-critical.

I don't really see anything wrong with being fanatic about an artist as long as you're not the type of fan who will eat someone alive for not liking said artist (I'm looking at you, Avenged Sevenfold fans), and as long as you listen to other artists (I'm looking at you again, Avenged Sevenfold fans).
Evandar

• Posted: 05/04/2013 23:01
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
I don't really see anything wrong with being fanatic about an artist as long as you're not the type of fan who will eat someone alive for not liking said artist (I'm looking at you, Avenged Sevenfold fans), and as long as you listen to other artists (I'm looking at you again, Avenged Sevenfold fans).

Wow, Avenged Sevenfold fans must have really pissed you off!
  • Visit poster's website
useless

• Posted: 05/04/2013 23:01
  • Post subject:
soundguardian wrote:
Are they overrated by their fans, and the general public? Yeah. So are a lot of bands. But those that don't like Oasis and Coldplay, as a result, insist on overcompensating in their disdain for the bands, and that ALSO annoys me. Those two attitudes are polar extremes, and everyone should remember that. It's one thing to be enthusiastic or disenchanted, and it's another thing to be fanatic or over-critical.

+99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

I think it's mostly the peer pressure, something that also applies to all those teen users who post comments under videos of, say, Breaking Benjamin writin' something like "this is real music, not justin fuckin' beiber" or something like that. Two sides, same coin.
JMan

• Posted: 05/04/2013 23:02
  • Post subject:
useless wrote:
+99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

OBSERVATION: Does anyone ever say +10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000? It's always the 9's.
Evandar

• Posted: 05/04/2013 23:07
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
OBSERVATION: Does anyone ever say +10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000? It's always the 9's.

Astute observation, and probably of vital importance of the future of mankind.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/04/2013 23:22
  • Post subject:
Evandar wrote:
Wow, Avenged Sevenfold fans must have really pissed you off!

Haha, I'm mostly joking. However, A7X have literally won an award for "Most Dedicated Fans", and if you make a negative comment on a youtube video of an Avenged Sevenfold song you'll be pretty lucky to get out alive. Not to say all Avenged Sevenfold fans are like that, but, like Rush fans, the rabid, crazy ones wind up ruining the reputation of the entire fanbase (I say this as a Rush fan myself).
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 05/05/2013 11:06
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Do you hate music or something? I only ever see you talk about artists that you don't like. You must lead such a sad life.

1. I don't hate music.

2. Have I only been talking negatively about music lately? Sorry about that.

3. I don't dislike Arcade Fire or NMH at all. But on top of OP's chart, they were the most overrated ones (IMO). These discussions about overratedness rarely lead to happy places and especially Oasis and Coldplay have received their hatred on sites like this. Unoriginality/ripping off other artists/too big egos/too much self-pity/acting like Bono/etc., whatever their weakness may be, they're easy targets and it's getting old to bash them, let's try some new bands if anything.

• Posted: 05/05/2013 11:09
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
1. I don't hate music.

2. Have I only been talking negatively about music lately? Sorry about that.

3. I don't dislike Arcade Fire or NMH at all. But on top of OP's chart, they were the most overrated ones (IMO). These discussions about overratedness rarely lead to happy places and especially Oasis and Coldplay have received their hatred on sites like this. Unoriginality/ripping off other artists/too big egos/too much self-pity/acting like Bono/etc., whatever their weakness may be, they're easy targets and it's getting old to bash them, let's try some new bands if anything.

Haha, I was just satirising the sort of thing of thing you would usually say to me, you're not actually particularly negative. And I agree, these discussions aren't of any use to anyone. Everything's overrated to somebody.
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 05/05/2013 11:23
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Haha, I was just satirising the sort of thing of thing you would usually say to me, you're not actually particularly negative. And I agree, these discussions aren't of any use to anyone. Everything's overrated to somebody.

Okay, fair enough. Your post was also suspiciously attack-minded. Also, I've noticed that it looks like you're actually not using music to torture yourself. Everyone should learn something from your last sentence.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/05/2013 13:18
  • Post subject:
soundguardian wrote:
I'm not exactly an ardent fan of either, although I enjoy both, and my music library incorporates their albums.

All of that^