Global Warming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 12/20/2009 15:40
  • Post subject:
Just a note, for anybody who uses the "a species can't change the world" argument:

At the end of the Devonian period, trees radiated onto land (widespread, for the first time), acted as a massive CO2 sink, cooled the earth, caused glaciation, caused sea levels to recede (both from global cooling and glaciation), and caused the 2nd largest extinction in earth history (because life at that time was marine).
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2009 16:43
  • Post subject:
I don't even know what to say. The Copenhagen conference was a disaster, and Obama didn't even show until the last two days or something. Granted, the Heath Care/Afghanistan nightmare in the US probably has him in chains, but come on-if the United States and China don't do something major, we're fucked. And it blows. Hard.
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/27/2009 12:01
  • Post subject:
I wonder if the many different masters that each world leader obeys made Copenhagen an impractical propositon doomed to failure from the outset.

...Perhaps there is only one force on earth that has the neccessary resources and will to make the required changes we seek....CAPITALISM.

Make it pay big time to go green for large companies, and we'll solve this problem in 5 years, not ten or twenty!
  • Visit poster's website
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2009 02:03
  • Post subject:
The problem is that the vast majority of big companies are based in the United States and China.
Summary of why nothing's going to happen: It's impossible to pass any drastic climate change legislature in the United States because something big like that requires a supermajority (60/100 in the senate to pass any bill that the opposition is willing to filibuster, which, now for the Republicans, is anything Obama supports) and considering Republicans refuse to vote for anything Obama does, in order for Obama and the Democrats to get a supermajority he needs to satisfy 4 moderate-conservative Democrats in the Senate (Max Bauch, Leiberman and two other people I forget who) and in order to gain those votes the Democrats have to make a lot of compromises, such as no public option for Health Care or in the instance of Climate change probably a gradual 20-year reduction of carbon emissions rather than something actually useful. Because at this point people only care about the fucking money >Phew< And as for China, if you tried to introduce any sort of drastic emissions caps on China (which is what is needed), their massive manufacturing industry would collapse and their economy would completely tank. The government may be communist but they're still slaves to the economy. They'll never pass any laws that would limit their manufacturing.

Bottom line: unless someone can convince companies that going green will save them money (which at this point it can't; the cost of installing green technology is just not worth it . as even savings in energy bills over the next 5 years won't make up for the cost.), nothing is really gonna change.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2009 02:38
  • Post subject:

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 01/14/2010 22:28
  • Post subject:

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/15/2010 16:18
  • Post subject:
It's astonishing isn't it?

...whatever the merits of any given issue, and whatever role personal politics plays in shaping our respective views, the worthiest (or otherwise) of causes can be undermined by a bad advocate(s), the weakness of the argument in support of it, and the behaviour or conduct of those who's job it is to be that advocate, or act in that capacity.

Equally, an issue or position without merit can come to be accepted on the basis that the case has been made better. Which of these applies depends on which view of this particular issue you subscribe to.

... but one thing's abundantly clear- when people gain these positions of trust through election, they seem to lose the ability to make rational judjements, and all sense of what is acceptable, or even right or wrong behaviour.

How smart do you have to be as an elected official going to an international conference on the climate to understand that travelling around in this way destroys your credibility, demonstrates a complete lack of appreciation for the subject you are talking about and it's purposes, and simply offers those who would disagree with you position a very large political stick with which to beat you publicly?
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2010 07:08
  • Post subject:

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/28/2011 20:16
  • Post subject:

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 03/29/2011 19:11
  • Post subject:
Global warming Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've never had any use for Al Gore. When I lived in Tennessee I went to his childhood home just out of curiousity. The People in Tennessee hate Al Gore. Not only that, but how many people who have ran for president and got the Dem. or Rep. bid and failed to win the state they grew up in? Well, Al Gore did it. Everybody blamed Florida for Al losing to Bush, but the lying, idiot, crook could not even win the state of Tennessee. Embarassed

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website