33%
 33%  [11]
They all stink
3%
 3%  [1]
Total Votes : 33

nutso42

• Posted: 06/01/2013 20:27
  • Post subject: Which Toy Story film is the best?
To keep the other thread from getting clogged up too much, I'm instituting a separate thread for discussing the Toy Story movies and debating which is the best, or worst, or whatever.

I rank them as follows:
1. Toy Story 3
2. Toy Story
3. Toy Story 2

• Posted: 06/01/2013 20:30
  • Post subject:
Toy Story 2, though the first two are very near equal levels of perfection. As I've probably made clear by now in the other thread, I consider Toy Story 3 a flawed masterpiece. Great, but not really worthy of being ranked among the first two, in my opinion.
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/01/2013 20:32
  • Post subject:
Toy Story 2 was the shit.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/01/2013 20:39
  • Post subject:
If anyone chooses the last option I'm going to be a very sad panda Sad
SamuelPear

France

• Posted: 06/01/2013 20:41
  • Post subject:
Without a doubt the first one is in my opinion the best !

Norman Bates wrote:
SamuelPear a le swag
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 06/01/2013 20:45
  • Post subject:
Cymro2011 wrote:
Toy Story 2 was the shit.

Hell yeah!
Loved pretty much every bit of it, although it's the only one I don't own for some reason (Need to rectify that!)

Also, the Playstation/N64 Toy Story 2 game was epic! Cool

• Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 06/01/2013 20:52
  • Post subject:
My main problem with Toy Story 2 is the whole sub-plot with Zurg... it really goes nowhere. What difference would it have made if that entire story weren't even in the film? Absolutely none!

We don't need Zurg as a villain because Stinky Pete is revealed to be the villain all along. I can understand why some people would like this, but to me it felt like half the movie was pointless.

Whereas while some of Toy Story 3 felt like a retread of 2 (the toys get lost, etc), it was different enough. In 2, they got lost by accident, but in 3, it was a conscious decision Andy made to move on. The entire movie was a statement and a message for the kids who grew up loving Toy Story, but had now reached an age where it was time to move on.

Except of course, we haven't, since we're enjoying arguing about it on the internet Wink

• Posted: 06/01/2013 21:02
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
My main problem with Toy Story 2 is the whole sub-plot with Zurg... it really goes nowhere. What difference would it have made if that entire story weren't even in the film? Absolutely none!

We don't need Zurg as a villain because Stinky Pete is revealed to be the villain all along. I can understand why some people would like this, but to me it felt like half the movie was pointless.

Whereas while some of Toy Story 3 felt like a retread of 2 (the toys get lost, etc), it was different enough. In 2, they got lost by accident, but in 3, it was a conscious decision Andy made to move on. The entire movie was a statement and a message for the kids who grew up loving Toy Story, but had now reached an age where it was time to move on.

Except of course, we haven't, since we're enjoying arguing about it on the internet Wink

No age is too old to love Toy Story Shame on you

Anyway, I see where you're coming from, but the whole Zurg sub-plot was meant to be purely comical, and in my opinion, it succeeded handsomely. All of the Star Wars references combined with giving the terminally underdog character (Rex) a chance to be the hero was not only hysterical, but rather heartwarming, too. I also thought it was hilarious to see a toy-world spoof of Darth Vader (watching Zurg scoot across the Al's Toy Barn lot saying "Destory Buzz Lightyear" over and over again makes me lose my shit every time).

Anyway, I agree that Stinky Pete and Al are plenty to fill out the villain register for this film, but I also don't consider Zurg a proper villain. The only conflict they have with him is in the elevator shaft, and that lasts only for a minute or two, and it's very clear that Pixar intended him to be comic relief.

I also felt like the premise of Toy Story 3, which I'm guessing you approve of based on your comparison of it to the premise of TS2 (toys getting lost vs. Andy moving on), was ludicrous. I'm sorry, but it required a pretty extreme suspension of belief for me to buy that the attic ladder just accidentally retracted on its own, or that Andy's mom just happened to find the trash bag before Andy and that she just somehow didn't realize from the feel that it was full of plastic toys, not trash. I also think the other toys' unwillingness to believe Woody is overblown and not really believable. In short, I thought the setup for the movie was completely contrived. We got a fun adventure out of it, but overall I can't really buy into it.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 06/01/2013 21:10
  • Post subject:
The first by a mile.

• Posted: 06/01/2013 21:19
  • Post subject:
Toy Story 3.