Disney Movies

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada
  • Posted: 06/05/2013 03:16
  • Post subject: Disney Movies
Since the Toy Story thread descended into basically just "the Disney thread" I figured I'd actually make a specific Disney movie thread.

To start things off:

JACKWC REVIEWS EVERY ANIMATED DISNEY FEATURE FILM SHE'S EVER SEEN
IN ORDER OF QUALITY AND CONTINUED SPORADICALLY FROM NOW ON
(Ratings based on relativity to other Disney movies)

The Incredibles 10.0/10.0
Never since Alan Moore have superheroes been explored in such a realist light - while also serving as an introduction to objectivist philosophy for kids. Perhaps the heavy-handed Ayn Rand didn't sit well for some people, but really, what better of a mental playground for such philosophies is there than superheroes? The film also just LOOKS STUNNING, and I go fucking mad for the Nuclear Era aesthetics that the film dons.

Hunchback Of Notre Dame 9.8/10.0
Say what you want about Eisner, I have fond memories of his tenure at Disney - those were Disney's prime years of ripe experimentation. Who but Eisner would have green-lighted an animated film about the intensely dark Victor Hugo novel The Hunchback Of Notre Dame? And not only green-light it, but allow it to be remarkably close to the source material considering how R-rated that source material was, making it Disney's most boldly dark film. And, I mean, fuck, that god damn soundtrack. It's incendiary. Literally.

Link

Mulan 9.7/10.0
Oh, I'm sorry - is it time to suck the cock of Mike Eisner-era Disney movies again? Why, yes. Yes it is. Something I neglected to mention in my Hunchback review is another thing I loved about 90's Eisner Disney movies, and that is their visual aesthetics. 90's Disney was pushing out a lot of what could be called "ethnic" movies, movies which focused heavily on the cultures of the countries in which they took place. Movies like Hunchback, Hercules, Pocahantes, Aladdin, and, of course, Mulan all did this, while also incorporating the traditional artforms of the settings deeply into the art style. It's fucking cool is what it is. Imagine if Princess And The Frog took actual influence from Cajun art, imagine how fucking cool that would have been and how even remotely worthwhile that movie would have become.

Oh, but I'm ranting - what really puts Mulan ahead of the curb is the character of Fa Mulan, who is by far the greatest female character in any Disney movie ever, and probably amongst the greatest female characters of forever. Which is really amazing considering that this is the same company that pretty much invented cinematic misogyny. Sure, the fact that Mulan's character is so amazing has less to do with Disney and more to do with the myth upon which the movie is actually based, but still, kudos to them to bringing such an awesome heroine to screen.

Up 9.4/10.0
Up has without a doubt one of the greatest first twenty minutes of any movie ever. It's beautiful. It's heart-warming. It's tragic. It's almost entirely visual. It's scenes like this, and pretty much the first half of WALL-E, that have really proven Pixar to be masters of the craft of true visual storytelling, something which is I feel is often lost today in the "post-talkie" era.

That being said, Up is far from perfect - the second half of the story is marred by plot devices that don't make a lot of sense. [Minor Spoilers Incoming] but I really felt that Carl's reasons for trying to stop the bad guy didn't make a lot of sense considering the sort of character Carl is. We didn't really have substantial evidence that Carl was any sort of particular animal lover, he just loved adventure. It would have made more sense to cut the bird out entirely and make the villain's goals more personal to Carl and his wife.

Alice In Wonderland 9.3/10.0
I have done a lot of drugs to this movie. Like, a lot. And I've synched it with, like, twelve different albums (Aenima works the best, if you're interested). But what makes it amazing? Well, the fact that Disney was willing to make such an absurd movie in the 50's. It's a beautiful, kaleidoscopic adventure filled with childish whimsy and a beautifully twisted visual flare. And Christ, Sterling Holloway's maniacal take on the Cheshire Cat is so god damn timeless.

Will continue eventually.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
JMan
  • Posted: 06/05/2013 03:24
  • Post subject:
Beauty and the Beast

This may always be my favorite Disney movie. I've seen 9/10 Disney Renaissance films, and none of them carries emotion like B&TB, or has a score as amazing! Alan Menken sure can write! I'm almost in tears every time I watch the end. I may very well be a fan of the woman-loves-monster scenario because of this movie. It's been a couple of years since I've seen it, but for now I give it a perfect 100.

Aladdin

My second favorite of the Renaissance, and one of the dorkiest movies I've seen. Robin Williams kicks genie tail at playing Genie, there were far too many good laughs with his character and all the others. Alan Menken brings a great score again, especially witn A Whole New World which is absolutely beautiful. The dialogue's great, there's some great action, Jafar's a great villain. He's not too mean, very deceptive, and his beard is so... twisted...
L Lawliet
  • Posted: 06/05/2013 06:36
  • Post subject:

Link

Justice is not a frivolous thing, Simpson. It has little if anything to do with a disobedient whale.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan
  • Posted: 06/05/2013 09:48
  • Post subject: Re: Disney Movies
Jackwc wrote:
The Incredibles 10.0/10.0
Never since Alan Moore have superheroes been explored in such a realist light - while also serving as an introduction to objectivist philosophy for kids. Perhaps the heavy-handed Ayn Rand didn't sit well for some people, but really, what better of a mental playground for such philosophies is there than superheroes? The film also just LOOKS STUNNING, and I go fucking mad for the Nuclear Era aesthetics that the film dons.

Up 9.4/10.0
Up is far from perfect - the second half of the story is marred by plot devices that don't make a lot of sense. [Minor Spoilers Incoming] but I really felt that Carl's reasons for trying to stop the bad guy didn't make a lot of sense considering the sort of character Carl is. We didn't really have substantial evidence that Carl was any sort of particular animal lover, he just loved adventure. It would have made more sense to cut the bird out entirely and make the villain's goals more personal to Carl and his wife.

Alice In Wonderland 9.3/10.0
I have done a lot of drugs to this movie. Like, a lot. And I've synched it with, like, twelve different albums (Aenima works the best, if you're interested). But what makes it amazing? Well, the fact that Disney was willing to make such an absurd movie in the 50's. It's a beautiful, kaleidoscopic adventure filled with childish whimsy and a beautifully twisted visual flare. And Christ, Sterling Holloway's maniacal take on the Cheshire Cat is so god damn timeless.

<3
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
SamuelPear

France
  • Posted: 06/05/2013 12:01
  • Post subject:
The incredibles were ... not my taste. the characters appart from Mrs Incredible and Samuel L Jackson are unbearable, the whiny bad guy is terrible, ok he gets mad 'cause he wasn't the "robin" of Mrs incredible, but years later he looks and seems as stupid as he used to be ...

Oh ok I'll give you that, I love the office scenes.

In my opinion the cleverest Pixar movie is Monsters Inc. A society of Monsters, their energetic industry is based on screams ! Brilliant idea !
Billy Crystal ! John Goodman ! No need to explain ...
The whole reflection about what they used to believe (children are dangerous and lethal), their world, no their society is driven by a lie ... And after that they get their energy out of laughters ! What a brilliant idea !

Like Toy Story and later UP, Monsters Inc. is a smart and funny movie. It's great for the Kids and really good for the adults.

But that's just my opinion ...

Norman Bates wrote:
SamuelPear a le swag
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan
  • Posted: 06/05/2013 13:24
  • Post subject:
SamuelPear wrote:
In my opinion the cleverest Pixar movie is Monsters Inc. A society of Monsters, their energetic industry is based on screams ! Brilliant idea !
Billy Crystal ! John Goodman ! No need to explain ...
The whole reflection about what they used to believe (children are dangerous and lethal), their world, no their society is driven by a lie ... And after that they get their energy out of laughters ! What a brilliant idea !

Like Toy Story and later UP, Monsters Inc. is a smart and funny movie. It's great for the Kids and really good for the adults.

<3
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 06/05/2013 16:52
  • Post subject:
After Toy Story, Pocahontas may be my most favorite. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you always!!! Smile Smile Smile

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada
  • Posted: 06/05/2013 17:13
  • Post subject:
SamuelPear wrote:
the whiny bad guy is terrible, ok he gets mad 'cause he wasn't the "robin" of Mrs incredible, but years later he looks and seems as stupid as he used to be ...

That was kind of the point - Syndrome is an in-your-face caricature of stereotypical real life comic book nerds who carry their fetish into adulthood; oftentimes being whiny, self-absorbed, manchild losers like he is, never having "grown up". Only difference of course being that Syndrome has a high tech arsenal and a Goldfinger-esque lair.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 06/05/2013 18:26
  • Post subject:
Yo G if you Basil The Great Mouse Detective isn't the best Disney film you're wrong.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States
  • Posted: 06/05/2013 18:28
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Yo G if you Basil The Great Mouse Detective isn't the best Disney film you're wrong.

Aww fuck that used to be my shit! I probably still have that on vhs back home.