Rock & Roll R.I.P?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/24/2009 13:02
  • Post subject: Rock & Roll R.I.P?
Yesterday on the news I saw that Pete Doherty was arrested yet again, and so was Amy Wineskank (curiously coincidental timing don't you think?)
- and my over-riding response was- "oh, I'd forgotten about them", followed by- "Who Cares?"

I wondered therefore, is Rock & Roll finally dead?

... I don't refer here to the music itself, but the "attitude".

Have we all grown out of it as a culture, those zany stories of incorrigable antics of self indulgent ego-maniacs desperate for attention?

If we were to read about people throwing T.Vs out of trashed hotel room windows today, would the first consideration be for how cool is that!... or sympathy for the poor hotelier and the beleaguered cleaning staff just trying to make a buck?

Could such stories about the Keith Moons, Led Zepps and the rest really command our attention in today's society, much less achieve the status of quasi-mythalogical folklore?

... I believe not. In Dickerty and Crackhouse's cases, you could argue there's no comparison the quality of their music- no substance to warrant our tolerance of their behaviour, but perhaps even those old rocker's deeds of daring- do wouldn't garner the place in our minds they now occupy had they conducted themselves as such in more recent times.
Oasis bought that ticket, and in my opinion, only ended up looking ridiculous, whereas "R&B" stars are only interested in engaging in such stupidity if it makes them some cash, not through any sort of rebellion, or sense of adventure so to speak.

.... which leads me to ask the questions,

Was the Rock & Roll attitude just a phase we had to go through as a result of other cultural factors (sexual Liberation etc. of the sixties), and was always therefore going to end anyway?

Does this reflect a degree of Maturity in society reached as whole, which eventually stopped believing in it or accepting it?

...and was it all just a load of crap in the first place, and we'd simply over valued the meaning of Rock culture, and placed too much importance on the words and deeds of a few screwed up people who were wrongly idolised based only on their ability to entertain us?

- let's face it, The Doors did some great music, but Jim Morrison was a prick, and while I have great admiration for the achievements of the Beatles, I can't imagine anything more tedious thatn spending half an hour in John Lennon's company.

So maybe Fuckerty and Whingewhore should shut the fuck up, and spend more of their time making music and less time failing to impress.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 12/24/2009 13:24
  • Post subject:
While it's your opinion, you did make a huge jump from thinking "who cares" to wondering if Rock & Roll was dead.

The problem is the "attitude" of most new artists these days is so apathetic. While there are plenty of good albums being released, in terms of there attitude most stress how "indie" they are.

God forbid what would happen if a breakthrough band said "we only make music for money" (as a joke/provocation).

I personally think you have jumped to a conclusion to fast. I could be wrong though.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/25/2009 12:01
  • Post subject: Re: Rock & Roll R.I.P?
badfaith wrote:
Yesterday on the news I saw that Pete Doherty was arrested yet again, and so was Amy Wineskank (curiously coincidental timing don't you think?)
- and my over-riding response was- "oh, I'd forgotten about them", followed by- "Who Cares?"

Indeed.

badfaith wrote:
I wondered therefore, is Rock & Roll finally dead?

I have to agree with Nick Tosches on this one : it has been ever since 1954.

badfaith wrote:
If we were to read about people throwing T.Vs out of trashed hotel room windows today, would the first consideration be for how cool is that!... or sympathy for the poor hotelier and the beleaguered cleaning staff just trying to make a buck?

I think I'd have no consideration at all.

badfaith wrote:
Could such stories about the Keith Moons, Led Zepps and the rest really command our attention in today's society, much less achieve the status of quasi-mythalogical folklore?

Definitely not.

badfaith wrote:
Was the Rock & Roll attitude just a phase we had to go through as a result of other cultural factors (sexual Liberation etc. of the sixties), and was always therefore going to end anyway?

Rock & roll was in the fifties or am I wrong ?

badfaith wrote:
Does this reflect a degree of Maturity in society reached as whole, which eventually stopped believing in it or accepting it?

...and was it all just a load of crap in the first place, and we'd simply over valued the meaning of Rock culture, and placed too much importance on the words and deeds of a few screwed up people who were wrongly idolised based only on their ability to entertain us?

No, I think the same thing happens over and over again - punk & rap raised at least as much protest and fears as rock had done. There's always a new youth movement to raise worriness among us grown-ups.

badfaith wrote:
So maybe Fuckerty and Whingewhore should shut the fuck up, and spend more of their time making music .

Definetely not. Stop them making music altogether as well.

Finally, I don't think the "rock'n'roll attitude" is dead in the least - if that attitude means independence, not caring about what the world thinks, playing rock music as if it had never existed before you - only, you can find that in all sorts of styles now.
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 12/25/2009 17:29
  • Post subject:
Sex, drugs and rock 'n roll! It's still common everywhere you look. The drugs are different drugs but that's really all that's changed. There were more nice "indie type peaceniks" back in the day who weren't overdosing and smashing guitars than there were bad boys. Don't worry there are still lots of creative wastoids today willing to disintegrate in the spotlight for our pleasure. One big difference might be money. In the 70s, there were more top-of-the-heap bands that could afford to throw TVs out of windows and trash rooms. There's very few now! Another point of clarification. Drug use in the 70s has been exaggerated and glamorized by Hollywood. In my public high school I would estimate that 80% of the students were "straights" and 20% were "heads".
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
sega3dmm

• Posted: 12/26/2009 01:31
  • Post subject:
Rock 'n roll ain't dead! It's just in a coma.
  • Visit poster's website
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 12/26/2009 01:36
  • Post subject:
The Rock N' Roll used to be about sticking it to the man. Now that generation is the man. LOL...now the "culture shock" is run by Eminem and Borat.
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/27/2009 11:52
  • Post subject:
maxxy wrote:
The Rock N' Roll used to be about sticking it to the man. Now that generation is the man. LOL...now the "culture shock" is run by Eminem and Borat.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head!

I posed these questions as questions because I'm not sure myself, and seek illumination, perhaps they came across as a bit rhetorical because rock seems dead to me, but I may just be getting old myself.

...but it's the point of departure in the minds of rock artists I'm thinking of... It seemed that people like Jim Morrison set out from an original intent to do something bigger than money, or fame, and actually considered themselves artists proper, and were commited to living that life BEFORE any other consideration, but that in Doherty's case, he doesn't have the art to go with his estimation of himself, and other's first thought is- "how can I make a buck... or make the world notice ME"... and everything else is incidental, or a bonus.
... but then, I suppose you could argue it was that way for the Beatles originally?

Good points made about Punk etc. but the consistent thread that seems to run through all types or rock music is the claim to be "rock & roll", or at least inheritors to that mantle (Led Zepp have a song by that title) , but as has been pointed out, rock & roll proper describes only a brief period in the 50's.

Maybe our heros lie elsewhere in a world of larger concerns pressing on our minds these days (global warming, terror...etc. etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah)
I long for the day when a maverick scientist is the coolest cat in town... people converge en masse to public arenas to watch a prdigious young mathematician solve a brainbending equation live on stage... with oohs, and aahs as the mysteries of nuclear fusion unravel themsleves before your very eyes!
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 12/27/2009 14:47
  • Post subject:
It's the hipsters. They ruin everything.
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 12/27/2009 22:12
  • Post subject:
Still plenty of kids who want to grow up to be rock stars. It's just that now most of them don't expect to ever be playing stadiums.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 12/27/2009 22:23
  • Post subject:
If only the internet was as widespread in the 70s: "is jazz dead?"

Obviously great jazz has survived, it's just not as popular and widespread as it was in the middle of last century. Obviously great rock 'n roll will continue, but we'll probably be seeing more and more electronic music, until something else becomes more popular (probably "post-music," and then everyone will realize how great MMM is...)