Un Chien Andalou

View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 12/20/2009 03:39
  • Post subject: Un Chien Andalou
Just finished Un Chien Andalou. WTF? I like the Pixies song better than the film...
joannajewsom

• Posted: 12/20/2009 04:16
  • Post subject:
Yeah, the eyeball slice is the highlight, the rest is just surrealistic wankery. The dude being all pervy was kind of funny, though. Interestingly enough, the lead actress wound up committing suicide by burning herself in public.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 12/20/2009 04:29
  • Post subject:
I actually like the ants coming out of the hands better than the eyeball slicing, but Old Boy did it better later...

And on suicide, I think burning yourself is much more pure than most other meens of suicide...
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 12/20/2009 09:41
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
I actually like the ants coming out of the hands better than the eyeball slicing

I totally agree with you. Also, Bunuel's next film L'Age D'Or is much better than Un Chein Andalou. He made it the year after and really improved as a filmmaker and I would highly recommend it. Un Chein Andalou is cool though. I would try watching it again sometime as it kind of seems to be about something. I think my biggest problem with it was that I was expecting some sort of huge crazy fucking thing and it just wasn't what I expected. The eyeball scene didn't do anything to me because everybody always talks about it...so it was ruined.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 12/20/2009 15:52
  • Post subject:
I don't think surrealism in general is really "about" anything other than breaking down traditional beariers of what you believe you are supposed to see. Personally, I think that's why it's such an unattractive movement now, because we've all seen alot of wierd shit; check out jewsom's last post in funny forum pictures, I bet that would have been considered high art if something like it were done in that movement. In the same sense I think that's why Fauvism and Expressionism are also mostly appreciated by people with a personal connection to them.

The only movements I can think of that are attractive are Romanticism, or some other realism, and Post-Impressionism; because either you enjoy seeing what is, and likely enjoy seing historical and religous and literary figures with your realism, or you enjoy breaking down beariers, which is what the Post-Impressionists did. All art since Cezanne, came from Cezanne... so you better appreciate that shit (think of him like the Beatles of art).

Any thoughts? on art?

That's right, I just turned this into a pretentious art-faggot thread, suck it.
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 12/22/2009 18:22
  • Post subject:
I've heard Bunuel say in an interview that Un Chein Anadalou was not supposed to be about anything, just random things with no logical explanation. And I can accept that from the point of view of the artist, who might not have any intentions with what he's communicating. However, from the perspective of the audience I think surrealism, or any art, can mean a great deal. L'Age D'Or is a much better example to use, but even with Andalou there seems to be all kinds of things about sexual repression and religion (and maybe how these two are related). I've always thought of the ants crawling out of his hand as being a result of him not getting to have sex. And maybe the film is saying that religion is a kind of distraction from sexual frustration. Now it's quite likely that I'm pulling this out of my ass, but still, I think that if Surrealism is done well (ie David Lynch) that it can be extremely profound.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/22/2009 19:47
  • Post subject:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 01/24/2010 22:29
  • Post subject:
Not a huge fan of Un Chien, kind of have no reaction to it at all. I get the surrealism, has cool images, just doesn't do it for me, but I do love unusual films, some of my fav's:
Every Jodorowski film is awesome, Holy Mountain in particular. Cool random sidenote, The Holy Mountain was funded entirely by John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

Link

Here's a link to all of Aguirre the Wrath of God one of my all time favs, unusual by todays standards

Link

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Link

Wings of Desire

Link
  • Visit poster's website