Generic Music

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 06/10/2013 23:11
  • Post subject: Generic Music
Generic. This word has become a venom in the lifeblood of music. While there are bigger problems with the state of music and the attitudes towards it today, this one is nonetheless a considerable one.

Generic... the word spawns images of snobbery. It is almost always derogatory, sometimes even a grave offense. It is related to an attitude of always having to try something different, to finding the impossible chord, to pursuing the "intelligent" and even tarnishing and trampling over good music in an attempt to be innovative. The quality of music doesn't matter... just as long as it is not Generic you are fine.

Actually... you are more than fine. You are intelligent. Generic music is of the unwashed.

What does it matter if something has been done before? Do you have to be the first? Enjoyment trumps all else with music. Woe to you who pretends to like bands to benefit your own social standing. If you were to agree with the notion of music being your life, music making the day worth it, wouldn't denying yourself something which is "generic", something which only you know you like, be the same as cutting and twisting off a finger on your souls being?

There is no point in calling music "generic". It's silly little paddle talk.
ColumnatedRuins

United States

• Posted: 06/10/2013 23:21
  • Post subject: Re: Generic Music
an_outlaw wrote:
Generic. This word has become a venom in the lifeblood of music. While there are bigger problems with the state of music and the attitudes towards it today, this one is nonetheless a considerable one.

Generic... the word spawns images of snobbery. It is almost always derogatory, sometimes even a grave offense. It is related to an attitude of always having to try something different, to finding the impossible chord, to pursuing the "intelligent" and even tarnishing and trampling over good music in an attempt to be innovative. The quality of music doesn't matter... just as long as it is not Generic you are fine.

Actually... you are more than fine. You are intelligent. Generic music is of the unwashed.

What does it matter if something has been done before? Do you have to be the first? Enjoyment trumps all else with music. Woe to you who pretends to like bands to benefit your own social standing. If you were to agree with the notion of music being your life, music making the day worth it, wouldn't denying yourself something which is "generic", something which only you know you like, be the same as cutting and twisting off a finger on your souls being?

There is no point in calling music "generic". It's silly little paddle talk.

I agree with you that music does not need to be particularly innovative to be entertaining or worthwhile, but do you honestly believe anyone that is into music does/feels any of what I've bolded? What have they to gain? Why do you care?
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/10/2013 23:22
  • Post subject:
Ehh. I think generic music is as big of a problem in music as it gets. One one band succeeds with an original sound, labels love to introduce another bunch of new bands who sound exactly like watered down versions of the original band. The result is a lot of music that sounds generally the same but lacks the dynamic that made the original band's sound work. These bands end up sounding completely interchangeable with no substance of their own, riding the coattails of their predecessor. This whole civil-war wave scene happening right now reminds me a lot of that. these bands are singing songs of little substance about things they have no experience with
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 06/10/2013 23:27
  • Post subject:
Generic thread.
Kiki

• Posted: 06/10/2013 23:29
ColumnatedRuins wrote:
I agree with you that music does not need to be particularly innovative to be entertaining or worthwhile, but do you honestly believe anyone that is into music does/feels any of what I've bolded? What have they to gain? Why do you care?

There are many people guilty of the bolded parts. They are in plain sight and pretty much everywhere contemporary music is discussed in the English speaking world you are guaranteed to see people who exude such attitudes.

Why do I care? Because this is an attack on music itself! I'm not going to sit down and pretend I don't care.

Last edited by Kiki on 06/10/2013 23:37; edited 1 time in total
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 06/10/2013 23:33
an_outlaw wrote:
There are many people guilty of the bolded parts. They are in plain site and pretty much everywhere contemporary music is discussed in the English speaking world you are guaranteed to see people who exude such attitudes.

Such as?
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 06/10/2013 23:35
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Ehh. I think generic music is as big of a problem in music as it gets. One one band succeeds with an original sound, labels love to introduce another bunch of new bands who sound exactly like watered down versions of the original band. The result is a lot of music that sounds generally the same but lacks the dynamic that made the original band's sound work. These bands end up sounding completely interchangeable with no substance of their own, riding the coattails of their predecessor. This whole civil-war wave scene happening right now reminds me a lot of that. these bands are singing songs of little substance about things they have no experience with

Trust you to come at it from an angle I wasn't expecting. Confused Razz Not sure what to add at the present to this. I was aiming to highlight how the word "generic" was being abused and rendered a weapon.

Haven't there been quite a few bands over the years who were accused of such when they started but have gone on to become household names in their own right?
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 06/10/2013 23:35
  • Post subject:
Is calling an artist or album "generic" any different than saying that they lack creativity? If so, is it then wrong to dislike an artist or album for lacking creativity?
ColumnatedRuins

United States

• Posted: 06/10/2013 23:39
an_outlaw wrote:
There are many people guilty of the bolded parts. They are in plain sight and pretty much everywhere contemporary music is discussed in the English speaking world you are guaranteed to see people who exude such attitudes.

Why do I care? Because this is an attack on music itself! I'm not going to sit down and pretend I don't care.

Fair enough, but if it is "everywhere": give examples. Name names. You seem to be on this subject a lot and I want something concrete on why you feel this way. I want to see where you are coming from.

edit: In response to your below post: Saying it is "right under my nose" is not enough (what Mr. Frogger says on the next page, basically). I don't see this. Enlighten me.

Last edited by ColumnatedRuins on 06/10/2013 23:43; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 06/10/2013 23:40
MrFrogger wrote:
Such as?

You want names? You want me to find actual people? You look yourself, see them with your own eyes.

Attitudes relating to Intelligence and Superiority in music are right under your nose.