100%  [22]
The Beatles
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 22

AlecEiffel

• Posted: 06/11/2013 08:07
  • Post subject: The Pixies in 20 years from now
I would like to get your opinion on the current and future status of the Pixies in rock history.

The Pixies earned their place in rock book history when they reunited in 2004, 12 years after their break up.

The main group they are likened to is the Velvet Underground. Translation: band that sold few albums but became hugely influential. Pushing the image further: arty and elitist band that every serious rock fan must know but from which the mass barely knows the name. Alternative reference: Sonic Youth.

However, there is another band the Pixies are sometimes compared to. Thom Yorke may have been the first to do it: the Beatles. Provocative variant used by a British journalist in the BBC documentary Gouge: Pixies and Abba are no different! These comparisons add a popularity and huge commercial appeal to the band, despite relatively low commercial success originally and now.

For me there is now doubt that the Velvet comparison is more accurate right now than the Beatles one. But in the next decades?

There are some hints that the future status of the Pixies is not settled yet:
- Their reunion did not gather only people in their 30s and 40s. Most of the audience was very young. As a matter of fact, Pixies albums released 25 years ago are still considered as very fresh. They could as well have been released today.
- The song Where Is My Mind has reached the status of a classic. Other songs may follow in the years to come, more especially if they are covered by commercial artists: Here Comes Your Man, Gigantic, Hey, Velouria...
- The pop sensibility of the Pixies has always been underlined. In the early 90's, Black Francis highlighted his preference for the accessibility of the Beatles over the more intellectual approach of Sonic Youth.
- In the recent years, the Pixies have been subject to numerous high profile re-releases: mini LP replicas in Japan, audiophile rereleases in the US, Minotaur, one of the most luxurious box set ever released so far.

So what do you think?

As a side topic, there is a video that can appeal to both the casual fan who would like to hear a rare Pixies recording (In Heaven sung in German by the Pixies in 1988) and the owners of the Minotaur Limited Edition that wonder about variants of the box set (people are invited to communicate their box color and number at the end of the video).
As I have no right to post a link yet, the video is titled "Pixies RARE In Heaven 1988 live version in German + Minotaur variants & survey" on yt.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 06/11/2013 08:18
  • Post subject:
I don't consider either comparison relevant. Pixies where nowhere near the Beatles' fame (and therefore, influence), and nowhere near the VU's lack of commercial success or revolutionary approach to music (and therefore, influence).

As to their future status : they'll be remembered as one of the very best 80s/90s rock bands, who influenced the greatest 90s rock band, Nirvana (not my opinion, but how I think it will end up, and actually already is) plus a certain number of other bands.

AlecEiffel wrote:
The Pixies earned their place in rock book history when they reunited in 2004, 12 years after their break up.

I don't think that's true. I was around when Surfer Rosa, and more importantly Doolittle, were released, and critical acclaim was huge. By the time they were disbanded, they were already in the history of rock books (just checked out my 2000 edition of 'Le Dictionnaire du Rock', they're there, on two columns - I can translate the entry if you like).
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/11/2013 08:50
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
I don't consider either comparison relevant. Pixies where nowhere near the Beatles' fame (and therefore, influence), and nowhere near the VU's lack of commercial success or revolutionary approach to music (and therefore, influence).

I agree about The Beatles, but I think they are extremely comparable to VU in terms of commercial success and their approach to music. I don't have the sales charts in front of me at the moment and am too lazy to look them up, but even if Pixies were more commercially successful than VU, the fact remains that they can hardly be called "popular" or "well-known"; among music listeners, yes, but the vast majority of people I know who don't really listen to music have either never heard of Pixies or have only heard of them because "Wave of Mutilation" was on Rock Band.

As for their approach to music, well, I consider it to be as innovative, if not more so than VU's. It's true, their influence may not have been quite as pervasive as that of VU, but most of the grunge and alternative bands that emerged during the late '80s and early '90s owe a pretty sizable debt to Pixies.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 06/11/2013 08:56
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:

As for their approach to music, well, I consider it to be as innovative, if not more so than VU's.

I'd gladly read an elaboration on this.
  • Visit poster's website
AlecEiffel

• Posted: 06/11/2013 10:14
  • Post subject:
I did not want to elaborate on the status of the Pixies before their reunion.

Yes they were very popular. In Europe and in countries under direct British influence. Not in the USA, hence the comparision with the Velvet Underground.

I also think that their early earning of a spot in rock history was a European phenomenon, even stronger in France than most other countries. We, the French, tend of make everything cultural. This is not as much the case in many other countries, where it took more time to go from the band-of-the-day to the band-in-history status. Once again, the eventual recognition of the band in their home country is a key factor. For instance the fact that a new generation of journalists took over via Pitchfork or by replacing the previous generation in US rock magazines.

As far as comparisons with the Velvet or the Beatles, I wanted to avoid the type of fight that is already everywhere, Pixies vs. Nirvana, Pixies vs. Radiohead, Pixies vs. Sonic Youth.

My question is more about what the "official" history will tell, whether this is accurate or not. At the moment, it tends to say that the Pixies directly or indirectly influenced all modern rock since the 90's.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/11/2013 11:00
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
I'd gladly read an elaboration on this.

Alright, maybe I was a little hasty with my wording. VU's approach was likely more innovative (I'll think about this some more and get back to you if I come up with any insights to the contrary).

That being said, I maintain that the Pixies created an entirely new musical aesthetic with their first two albums. They juxtaposed straightforward pop basslines with screaming vocals, upbeat tunes with demented lyrics. They had dissonance down to a science, and they pioneered what was essentially an entirely new dynamic structure (I say "essentially" because there are certainly other songs from before the Pixies' time that employ the soft verse-loud chorus structure; however, I personally perceive there to be relatively few pre-Pixies examples of songs that do it in quite the same explosive manner).

So yeah, their style wasn't quite as innovative as VU's. That was a hasty comment on my part. However, I do consider the innovations of both bands to be comparable in type, if not in degree.

Last edited by Guest on 06/11/2013 11:06; edited 1 time in total
AlecEiffel

• Posted: 06/11/2013 11:03
  • Post subject:
To add to the difficulty of classifying the Pixies...

They were too alternative to suit the taste of many classic rock fans. They still are. Now the question is: what will be "classic rock" in 20 years from now?

On the other hand, this seems to be forgotten now, but in their heyday the Pixies were far from consensual in the alternative rock community. Too pop-oriented, too successful. There were many claims that they were not a real alternative band while Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Slint, Black Flag or Husker Du were.

I think it is accurate to say that they fit somewhere in-between alternative and classic rock or pop music, only closer to alternative. This has been both an advantage and a drawback. And this is certainly where the innovation of the Pixies mainly stands.
  • Visit poster's website
kramerfan86

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2013 16:31
  • Post subject:
Clearly neither. They are much more popular than the Velvet Underground for sure (they have multiple gold albums for christ's sake) but they clearly are no where close to the Beatles. They are a moderately popular band that had a large influence on 90s music, attempting to make any comparisons beyond that simply doesnt work or make much sense.
ScottyBaboon

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2013 17:38
  • Post subject:
The Pixies aren't a band that I listen to. In 20 years they will probably be the same to me as they are now, nothing more than a band that Kurt Cobain was highly into.

Last edited by ScottyBaboon on 06/11/2013 19:41; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 06/11/2013 17:46
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

As to their future status : they'll be remembered as one of the very best 80s/90s rock bands, who influenced the greatest 90s rock band, Nirvana (not my opinion, but how I think it will end up, and actually already is) plus a certain number of other bands.

I don't think that's true. I was around when Surfer Rosa, and more importantly Doolittle, were released, and critical acclaim was huge. By the time they were disbanded, they were already in the history of rock books (just checked out my 2000 edition of 'Le Dictionnaire du Rock', they're there, on two columns - I can translate the entry if you like).

^this.

Well done Norman, my thoughts exactly.