• Posted: 12/31/2009 05:08
  • Post subject:
What a fag. I've read like 4-5.
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/31/2009 13:05
  • Post subject:
I don't read books... just Wikipedia, cover syynopses, listen into intelligent people's conversation, then blag the rest.
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/31/2009 13:26
  • Post subject:
Just had a look at Art's list link... the fact that it is known how many he has read, and has them indexed tells a story in itself don't you think?

... also, for all this reading, what good has it done the world?

Who was it who said that the measure of a good education is not what you put in to a man (calm down Elston!), but what you get out of him?
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/02/2010 00:51
  • Post subject:
of course: there can be no education of man without man, there can be no man if stuff is being put into men; therefore, man and education only are possible because of what you get out of man

damn, I was hoping that would come out wittier :?

Did anyone else getting an 'anchorman' vibe from Garfunkel; "come view my extensive library of rich mahogany with many antique books which I voraciously read while I smoke my pipe with sweet sweet leaf that smells like the musk about my neck" type stuff?

And, why the hell were you exploring his site, joanna? this is one of the most hilarious things ever. I think this should have been posted in Funny Forum pictures or something, cos no ones actually going to read through this right? they'll just glimpse its ridicuousness and laught their ass off
joannajewsom

• Posted: 01/02/2010 03:00
  • Post subject:
Haha. I watched Bad Timing the other night and it reminded me how awesome Art Garfunkel really is, so I decided to check out his website, only to be greeted by more awesomeness.

Is it really that bad, though? I mean, I do get that Anchorman vibe. "We are pleased to present a listing of every book Art has read over the last 40 years" is truly one of the greatest sentences ever written in English. But it's kind of just an extreme take on what we do here, no?--and also what goes on on listology and rym. If I made boat loads of money and enjoyed a life of leisure comparable to Art's, I'd probably keep busy with something like this. What amazes me is that he's been keeping a record all this time. What amazing foresight! I'm sure when he launched his website he was like, "fuck yeah! I can finally post this list!"
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/02/2010 06:04
  • Post subject:
I doubt it, I bet he cliff noted that shit, or remember that he read it at some time (probably in high school) so he thought he could get away with general times he read a series of books. I want a time and date to the second of that poopoo. I mean, really, my grandmothers retired and bored off her ass but she doesn't read five books a month! Actually, I read a couple books today; I read Good Dog Carl and the Hungry Caterpillar to my niece; I guess I better start up an extensive list and start saving up for my library shelves of mahogany wood. Anyway, I DO think it is ridiculous.
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/02/2010 15:00
  • Post subject:
It is a fine sentence indeed.

But I suppose we need people like Art in the world, if only to offer some perspective to the rest of us- See what can happen if you take yourself too seriously!

... he is a benchmark that says: if you devote too much time catalogueing your life in lists, pretty soon catalogueing will BECOME your life

Art has become a pop star butterfly in some weird collection, while resplendent in his rarity of form... a wonder to behold, you cannot escape the fact that having endeavoured so successfully to pin himself down, he is in fact, quite dead.
... and the life that could have been were it not so, would have made his talents and abilities shine all the more brightly had they had the animation of use- life.

Paul Simon probably pales in comparisson in terms of ability, but has achieved (I'd argue) much more, and has meant more to the world.
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 01/02/2010 19:50
  • Post subject:
What do you guys think about Scaruffi, then? He does actually publish books and most of his lists seem to be a part of some larger educational and historical cause rather than look at how many albums I've heard and movies I've seen. But I think this [http://www.scaruffi.com/travel/best.html] completely trumps Art in terms of just being purely ostentatious. Seriously, looking at his website I get the impression that he exists in a pocket of earth in which there are 72 hours in a day.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 01/02/2010 20:00
  • Post subject:
OMG !
That list of small towns is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen !

But then even his best ever albums list is kind of weak in some parts (sorry Elston) : "Hosianna Mantra", "Good" in front of "Loveless" or "Astral Weeks" ??
  • Visit poster's website