Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/20/2013 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#946): A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Today's album of the day

A Rush Of Blood To The Head by Coldplay (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2002.
Overall rank: 54
Average rating: 78/100 (from 802 votes).

Tracks:
1. Politik
2. In My Place
3. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
4. The Scientist
5. Clocks
6. Daylight
7. Green Eyes
8. Warning Sign
9. A Whisper
10. A Rush Of Blood To The Head
11. Amsterdam

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/20/2013 20:06
  • Post subject:
And we had such a great streak of AotDs going...
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 06/20/2013 20:08
  • Post subject:
Other than people jumping on the Coldplay hate wagon, I'd genuinely like to hear a reasoned argument over why this is a bad album.

Last edited by Puncture Repair on 06/20/2013 20:12; edited 1 time in total
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 06/20/2013 20:11
  • Post subject:
I think it's pretty good. It does not deserve its acclaim, nor does it deserve its hate.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/20/2013 20:12
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Other than people jumping on the Coldplay hate wagon, I'd genuinely like to hear a reasoned argument over why this a bad album.

Aside from the fact that it feels like a pussy Radiohead (obvious criticism, I know, but I think it holds water), there's nothing that makes this album objectively bad or anything, I just find it incredibly boring. I might give it another listen today and give you a better answer.
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 06/20/2013 20:12
  • Post subject:
This is one of the only albums that I have a physical copy for that isn't one of my dad's. Anyway, it's a really great album, much darker than their debut; Parachutes and has a lot more variety and adventure to it. It has the emotion and the prettiness that the subsequent Coldplay albums will have but I don't think Coldplay - with the exception of maybe Viva la Vida... - will match these qualities since they've gone mainstream.
joshtraina

• Posted: 06/20/2013 20:13
  • Post subject:
Probably the best Coldplay release.

For me it goes:

1. Rush of Blood To the Head
2. Viva La Vida
3. Parachutes
4. X and Y
5. Mylo Xyloto
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 06/20/2013 20:23
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
I just find it incredibly boring.

This is something I hear about the album a lot, but I think it's what gives the album it's charm. Not every album needs to be a rollercoaster ride, and this album is dreary, monotonous but also reflective, it's a long walk on a cold winters day.

X&Y is boring because all of the songs sound exactly the same and have nothing memorable going for them (except Fix You, which I believe to be one of the best songs written since the 2000s), but with Blood To The Head every song feels like it has a different sound and focus.

Mylo Xyloto is boring because they've tried to make it too exciting and end up just dumbing everything down for the sake of sounding fun. Blood to the Head has some powerful lyrics going for it and because of that it's very replayable.

I'm no huge Coldplay fan, and I dislike most of their albums, but I think this album gets heavily attacked because of what Coldplay has become, and not what they were. This album is far from being a masterpiece, but it's a pleasant and thoughtful listen through and through.
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/20/2013 20:25
  • Post subject:
This is almost in the top 50? sigh
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/20/2013 20:31
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
This is something I hear about the album a lot, but I think it's what gives the album it's charm. Not every album needs to be a rollercoaster ride, and this album is dreary, monotonous but also reflective, it's a long walk on a cold winters day.

X&Y is boring because all of the songs sound exactly the same and have nothing memorable going for them (except Fix You, which I believe to be one of the best songs written since the 2000s), but with Blood To The Head every song feels like it has a different sound and focus.

Mylo Xyloto is boring because they've tried to make it too exciting and end up just dumbing everything down for the sake of sounding fun. Blood to the Head has some powerful lyrics going for it and because of that it's very replayable.

I'm no huge Coldplay fan, and I dislike most of their albums, but I think this album gets heavily attacked because of what Coldplay has become, and not what they were. This album is far from being a masterpiece, but it's a pleasant and thoughtful listen through and through.

Interesting. Well, you've convinced me to give it a re-listen.