• Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 06/21/2013 12:18
  • Post subject:
In this case, going for the underdog.

Associates!

• Posted: 06/21/2013 12:27
  • Post subject:
The Cure because The Cure. Speaking of which, why isn't there a Cure album on my chart these days? That shit needs to be remedied.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/21/2013 12:56
  • Post subject:
If we have a Post-Punk / New Wave tournament, then why not The Cure?

They, in their own gothic way, have covered both genres.

Link

'Primary' from the album Faith is an example of this. Categorised as a gothic rock album (a term I really don't connect with), the album follows a path of slow, deliberate moments that are juxtaposed to punk rock. Although the term 'post-punk' is not defined perfectly, one key factor is that the aesthetics of punk are alive in the music but the releases can be more experimental and encompassing.

Link

It wasn't long for The Cure to adopt a 'cheerful' outlook on their material within a short space of time. With Robert Smith remaining the sole consistent member in the band's 37+ year lifespan, this allowed for variety. 'Inbetween Days' from The Head On The Door shows the blend of early gothic/post-punk with the New Romantic/New Wave movement of the mid 1980s. Some glimmer of punk mentality is there but New Wave was a driving force in the 80s that could not be ignored.

Link

Finally, 'Pictures Of You' in 1989's Disintegration became a standout single for The Cure. A wonderful mixture of ideas and concepts from both genres came together for the 8 minute attempt at love from Smith and Co. The genres of post-punk and new wave led the way for industrial, alternative rock and other variations that still exist today.

VOTE FOR THE CURE!
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2013 14:29
  • Post subject:
The Cure could be frontrunner to win this whole tourney. I'd probably take them over Mats, Joy Division, Talking Heads if only for the size and quality of their discography and their longevity. Who would have thought that The Cure would still be going (relatively) strong today. Saw them a couple years back and they can still perform, even if Robert Smith now just looks like a tragically fat goth girl
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/21/2013 16:54
  • Post subject:
Went with Associates.

At times, the cure can produce amazing stuff. Unfortunately, not a lot of their stuff is amazing. The rest ranges from above average to just plain out horrid.

Associates' album Fourth Drawer Down is amazing though and other stuff by them is pretty damn great.
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 06/21/2013 17:05
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:
The only recommendation I ever got from someone in my college course was to check out The Associates,didn't think much about it and neglected the rec.I then heard Party Fears Two and loved it,it's truly one of the best pop songs of all time.

Link

I've only up until this point checked out Sulk,Forth Drawer Down and The Affectionate Punch,but I intend to check out the rest of their stuff.They have some great songs,but unfortunately I don't think they have put together a great album and is why they have probably be overlooked on this site.

Link

When they are great they combine they catchy hooks,beautiful synth lines,crazy lyrics and just an overall bit of craziness to create something altogether original and captivating.The first time I listened to them my mate said they were 'proper 80's',I think that sums them up perfectly,they embody everything great about the decade and prove why they were great years too,even though some among us wouldn't agree.

Link

They're not my favourite band ever,not even close,but if you have any interest in post punk and new wave I'd encourage you to check them,what's the worst that could happen?

Link

If I'm honest I only chose them because they were the first new wave band that came to my head and I thought post punk was dominating this tourney,so vote for the little guys,vote for new wave.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/24/2013 08:45
  • Post subject:
Associates dissociatively disrupted by The Cure

9-4
  • Visit poster's website