How long will Humanity be around?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 06/25/2013 22:38
  • Post subject: How long will Humanity be around?
Spent the whole night watching documentaries about huge subjects such as the Universe and Time. Both are going to be around for a very long time and the Universe itself may be a smaller blip in the history of Time than Humanity had been to the age of Earth so far. Should I be putting Time with a capital letter? Regardless, there was talk about a possible ending of Time. Could it be infinite?

So yeah... how long do you think Humanity itself will stick around? Think it will pull past the year 5,000 AD? Get past 1,000,000 AD?
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2013 23:29
  • Post subject:
Who knows, but probably not for too much longer. Humans are rapidly altering the environment at a pace at which we cannot evolve. I think the only hope for humanity is eventually going to lie in having to move outside of Earth. Our scientific knowledge is going to have to pull something out of its ass to save us.

• Posted: 06/25/2013 23:35
  • Post subject:
That depends if humans evolve into something else.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 06/25/2013 23:38
  • Post subject:
Well the dinosaurs lasted for a damn long time, and I'm pretty sure we're much more adaptable than them. I think that if there is no major cataclysm for Earth, we're here for a very, very long time.
  • Visit poster's website
Magikarp

• Posted: 06/25/2013 23:43
  • Post subject:
It's gonna get fucking hot if we don't do shit
  • Visit poster's website
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 06/25/2013 23:44
  • Post subject:
We can all rest easy because we know that even once humanity sputters out and that last human shuffles off their mortal coil, our tweking videos will remain scraped in the side of the rock of time.

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 06/25/2013 23:44
  • Post subject:
They will be around for as long as my life expectancy.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 06/26/2013 00:01
  • Post subject:
Time more or less is defined as the ordering of events that have happened, are happening, and are going to happen, and so as long as there's not nothing (in the strictest sense of the term), events will happen and time will continue to exist. Whether nothing is possible is another question that's unanswerable at this time. And whether 'past events' continue to 'exist' when there are no events taking place to measure them by is a philosophical question outside the bounds of anyone on this forum.

As far as humanity (as a species), we will remain for a very long time, well past our life time. As technology exists today (and if it continues to progress or even remain stagnant), there's little to no chance of species change based on separation or perhaps even environmental factors, though I'm not entirely sure of the time frame that might take. It's interesting to note here that there are in fact physiological differences between black humans and white humans though, such as a slightly higher calf muscle and a slightly greater fast-twitch to slow-twitch muscle-fiber ratio in the average black human. I don't see the human ancestry as becoming extinct until a major event we can't control is bound to kill us, like the Siberian Traps and/or meteors which thus far have happened on the order of several million years (it always takes more than one event, and mass extinctions occur over a period of years, perhaps hundreds of years). The human species (what we call Homo sapiens) will not last longer than our solar system though, I think.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 06/26/2013 00:26
  • Post subject:
Supervolcano? A giant meteor? A virus? Overpopulation and collapse of civilizations as we know them now? Though these things, especially the last part, likely wouldn't end humanity, just transform it.

I actually don't think things will stay the way they are for very long, maybe a few more generations max. As Jason said, rapid changes to the environment, growth of population, ... We rely more and more on our "culture" (the widest definition of the word possible), and while this allows for our civilizations to work, I'm not sure how sustainable it is in long term. What will happen to our civilization when the oil reserves will be gone? Will we have enough drinking water when our population passes 10 billion people? Will there be enough fertile land? Especially with climate changes? Will we all end up swallowing 20 pills a day to cover all our needs?

I'm sorry for all the doom and gloom, I don't even know what I'm saying, it's past 2 am here. We'll be fine.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/26/2013 00:52
  • Post subject:
I bet most people already know it, but it sometimes seems to be forgotten. Finite resources are not normally used at their regular rate until all of a sudden they go poof. They gradually become more rare and more expensive, making alternative resources who were previously too expensive more affordable.

So...water won't go poof once we reach 10 billion. Maybe it will be so scarce that a few billion will die of thirst, but that's not the end of humanity.

I say a couple hundred more years and quietly wait until I am proven wrong.
  • Visit poster's website