Uniqueness of your chart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
joannajewsom

• Posted: 01/10/2010 21:01
  • Post subject:
People's favorite albums are their favorites because they are the greatest albums they've heard--the highest in quality, the most excellent.

Seriously, this whole debate about favorite or greatest displays a very poor understanding of the actual definition(s) of the term. Either that, or just a willful ignorance to support their conformity and lack of regard for their own opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 01/10/2010 21:39
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
My chart doesn't show the top 50 albums ranked by sales nor does it rank my top 50 favorites. My chart ranks the top 50 greatest albums as I think society sees them. Only albums that I own are included in the chart but I have carefully selected my collection after researching reviews, sales, and awards. All albums were also sampled prior to purchase and have been listened to frequently since.

that's Bullshit !!!

in that case, in what your chart is intresting ? this site should only then publish the Rolling stone 500 best albums or the Pitchfolk or Time, NME...etc because they've already summarized the greatest albums of all time according to the majority ...... in that case just leave this site and go to acclaimedmusic.net.

i thought it was a site to share and defend some albums, and discover others which have been may be forgotten by the popular top albums ever charts.

Last edited by cartoken on 01/10/2010 22:37; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 01/10/2010 21:52
  • Post subject:
cartoken wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:
My chart doesn't show the top 50 albums ranked by sales nor does it rank my top 50 favorites. My chart ranks the top 50 greatest albums as I think society sees them. Only albums that I own are included in the chart but I have carefully selected my collection after researching reviews, sales, and awards. All albums were also sampled prior to purchase and have been listened to frequently since.

that's Bullshit !!!

in that case, in what your chart is intresting ? this site should only then publish the Rolling stone 500 best albums or the Pitchfolk or Time, NME...etc because they've already summarized the greatest albums of all time according to the majority ...... in that case just leave this site and go to acclaimedmusic.net.

i thought it was a site to share and defend some albums, and discover others which have been may be forgotten by the popular top albums ever.

At the end of the day it's RFNAPLES choice what he's puts on his chart and why he puts it there.

He's not saying you must choose your chart the way he choose his, so why the problem?
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 01/10/2010 21:54
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:

I have purposefully excluded albums from my chart by my favorite group, The Kinks, because unfortunately society doesn’t currently hold their albums among the top 50 greatest music albums. For the same reason, also missing are many fine blues, classical, country, folk, gospel, holiday, jazz, Latin, musical, new age, pop, soundtrack, world, etc. Admittedly my chart, as all others, still shows a bias towards what is owned and favored.

I look at the title of this site, Best Ever Albums-The Greatest Music Albums of All Time, and the default title given to member charts, Top 50 Greatest Music Albums by ..., and I don't see the words unique or favorite there. My personal feeling is that a truly "unique" chart might contain some hidden gems but surely couldn't be listing the greatest albums.

Wow.....seriously? Who gives flying duck what albums society holds in esteem. Isn't the point of every other top list to tell us what society thinks is great? The point of your list should be to tell what YOU THINK are the 50 best albums...If you wanna know what we like as a group look at the meta list that combines all of OUR FAVORITE albums.The default for a list title is top 50 albums by (INSERT YOUR NAME), it's implicitly unique, being YOUR top 50

Why do you feel you should speak for society, and why do you think anyone would care? I'm not trying to attack you or anything, it just doesn't make sense to me. So what your chart really ranks is your ability to be an accurate measure of what society deems the best albums?

How do you decide which areas of society to represent, because someone from Detroit is probably not going to like the same albums as someone in Nashville. Are you a sociologist, or a statistician, what authority do you have that allows you to represent all of society? It boils down to this, if I wanted to see what albums society likes, I will do the same research you say you did: look at reviews, sales, and awards...anyone is capable of doing that.

What we are not capable of doing is going inside your head, and hearing music through your ears. I would love to see your list of your favorite albums, this has value, this gives me an understanding of you. Particularly knowing that you are quite a bit older than me, I would be really interested in what you personally hold dear, as someone who's heard way more than I have, and as had more time to put things in perspective. You telling me what you think society thinks is great tells me nothing, gives me no information that is remotely useful. A list of someones personal favorites gives me an opportunity to find about artists I will never find on a list of societies choices for best music. That's why I come here, to find out what music is special to individuals who have an interest in music beyond just what's being played on the radio and tv, where the rest of society mainly gets their music...

Society doesn't think the Kinks should be in the top 50 because they're STUPID, but you are not.
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2010 23:40
  • Post subject:
cartoken wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:

that's Bullshit !!!

i thought it was a site to share and defend some albums, and discover others which have been may be forgotten by the popular top albums ever charts.
My man, it seems that for once we are in agreement Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 01/11/2010 00:38
  • Post subject:
This is a community where we can get together and respectfully share our opinions on what we personally like and don't like in music and why.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
theharrisonfords

• Posted: 01/11/2010 04:24
  • Post subject:
Now it's all an argument over semantics...
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/11/2010 07:56
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to list the greatest albums of all time or some other kind of list: Unknown, Esoteric, Sampler, Under-ranked, Under-rated, New, Forgotten, Under-recognized, Garbage, or Lost-and-Found?

All I was trying to achieve was casual conversation. I was curious at people's selections in their chart and noticed some favourites are the rare and unknown. I wasn't after a debate on great vs favourite. Just an observation. Man, I put my foot in it sometimes.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 01/11/2010 09:15
  • Post subject:
I choose albums for my chart and collection based upon the preponderance of evidence that they are considered great by many others, including myself. All albums on my list I personally like but I have left off numerous personal favorites which are not considered great by many. No two charts will ever be the same because opinion and time will change the rankings.

While I obviously read the forum topics for insights, I am not all that interested in the rare and obscure titles. Unfortunately given limited financial resources and time, I have chosen my 3000+ collection very carefully. Very little attention has been paid to casual recommendations from individuals, relying instead on "recognized" charts, awards, reviews, sales, and personal preference.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/11/2010 12:58
  • Post subject:
I actually found it an interesting idea Harkan.

I guess we all gravitate to sites like these for different reasons... to contribute, discuss, contrast, and compare. As much to find points of correspondence with the people and world around us, as also to identify and observe those differences which have equal value to me personally.

I admit I don't have the breadth of musical knowledge of someone like RFNAPLES, nor the wherewithall to compile and make sense of it all... I'm pretty average in this sense, that I know what I like (in my wardrobe) (it seems that wit escapes me a lot of the time too!)...and that's good enough.

Incidentally, I tried that, and it came out at 54.9, so fairly close to yours I think, but perhaps doing something like that may say something about the preference of those albums which make up the aggregate chart, against some you may expect to appear higher, but don't... although what that is, I couldn't honestly say!
  • Visit poster's website