Album of the day (#968): The Dark Side Of The Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
nutso42

• Posted: 07/15/2013 14:12
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Please don't assume you know what I'm talking about. The point isn't the popularirty. The point is that this is an album that hip to hate.

I don't hate DSOtM, I merely find it kinda dull. As many others have said, On The Run almost single-handedly ruins the album for me.

EyeKanFly wrote:
Although I'd much rather see albums like Revolver, Pet Sounds, Highway 61 Revisited, or London Calling at the #2 spot over Dark Side of the Moon.

This.
JMan

• Posted: 07/15/2013 16:06
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
It's pretty funny, because people keep talking about how this has no flaws, when I think it's pretty uneven. There are a lot if dead moments in this. Like lethal said, the intro of Time is pathetic. On The Run Bores me to death, Money's solo is way too long. It just makes the whole thing drag IMO.

About my enjoyment of the album itself : I love it. It even was on my chart actually. Breathe is fantastic, Money's bassline is one of the best ever, Time, Us And Them and Brain Damage are among the best Floyd tracks ever, and The Great Gig In The Sky and Any Colours You Like are great and give a breath of fresh air to the album. Had this been less "look at how musical geniuses we are an how we can make incredible sounds" and more based on the actual composition, it would really have been one of my favorites. As it stands, it's a fantastic album.

I look for the "lunacy" in the album whenever I listen to it. I like how the first track is basically heart-pounding and insane laughing. Breathe has a good rhythm going and some good lyrics. The third track is kind of boring and could use some work, but it was still well-produced. Time is brilliant, and I really like the intor. The Great Gig in the Sky has some fantastic vocal shouting,m but I'm not sure what that track has to do with lunacy. Money is a good track, but it may take a couple of listens. It's not a masterpiece track, but it's good. Us and Them is good, Any Colour You Like is a little pointless, and the last two tracks (Brain Damage and Eclipse) pretty much define the album for me and describe lunacy more than the rest of the album.

You may already know, as I've posted this sentence twice, that DSOTM is #7 on my chart. It took five listens for that, and I haven't heard the album for more than a month. I should get back to that.
Wombi

• Posted: 07/15/2013 16:21
  • Post subject:
CDQ wrote:
Majorly rolling my eyes at anyone who calls this "the most overrated album of all time" while having Pet Sounds at number 1 on their chart.

Yeah, can we have less of this? There's few things more juvenile than "You have this at this place on your chart therefore your statement is invalid".

As for DSOTM.....Pink Floyd remind me of Christopher Nolan. They're both a little exciting and intriguing at first listen/watch (and often not even then) but it takes very little exposure after that first experience to realise there's very little substance underneath that deceiving veneer of 'intellect'. And then the more you listen/watch the worse it gets. Plus their fans seem to believe the products these artists produce are infallible and somehow objectively good and if you say otherwise they go crazy or call you a 'liar' or 'hipster' or something in between.

At least that's how I see it. Apologies to those who like both Pink Floyd and Christopher Nolan Wink .

Still, On The Run and Time are great.
Kiki

• Posted: 07/15/2013 23:32
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Yeah, can we have less of this? There's few things more juvenile than "You have this at this place on your chart therefore your statement is invalid".

As for DSOTM.....Pink Floyd remind me of Christopher Nolan. They're both a little exciting and intriguing at first listen/watch (and often not even then) but it takes very little exposure after that first experience to realise there's very little substance underneath that deceiving veneer of 'intellect'. And then the more you listen/watch the worse it gets. Plus their fans seem to believe the products these artists produce are infallible and somehow objectively good and if you say otherwise they go crazy or call you a 'liar' or 'hipster' or something in between.

At least that's how I see it. Apologies to those who like both Pink Floyd and Christopher Nolan Wink .

Still, On The Run and Time are great.

Had to look up Christopher Nolan. They're not even a music artist. Laughing Although reading what you wrote again it is clear you knew that.

• Posted: 07/16/2013 02:53
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

Well, "Inception" is the only film of his for which I feel this way, but for that one at least, I agree pretty strongly. Overly pretentious and "intellectual" for intellectuality's (that's a word, right? Too lazy to check) sake.

Still, "Memento", "Prestige", and the first two Batmans are badass as shit (and "The Dark Knight Rises" is okay).
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 03:11
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Well, "Inception" is the only film of his for which I feel this way, but for that one at least, I agree pretty strongly. Overly pretentious and "intellectual" for intellectuality's (that's a word, right? Too lazy to check) sake.

Still, "Memento", "Prestige", and the first two Batmans are badass as shit (and "The Dark Knight Rises" is okay).

Aww... Sad I love Inception (I've seen it like 10 times I think and I still love it). Memento was very good, but I'd consider that a definitive example of "overly pretentious and intellectual for intellectuality's sake", though it's still a great movie. I didn't like The Prestige much, it was too similar to The Illusionist (which was released a few months earlier), and IMO The Illusionist was better. David Bowie was my favorite part of The Prestige Laughing . And As far as the Dark Knight trilogy goes, well they were decent, but maybe since I'm such a big comic guy I find it easy to criticize a not-so-faithful adaptation.

nutso42 wrote:
This.

Honestly I'm not a very big fan of Pet Sounds, but to me it makes more sense to be very highly rated, I guess because it was so innovative and it's so high on most critics' lists. I like DSotM more than Pet Sounds actually.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 04:16
  • Post subject:
Quote:

I also enjoyed "Following" and "Insomnia" a lot, along with literally every other movie he's directed, but that's me.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/16/2013 04:40
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
I didn't like The Prestige much, it was too similar to The Illusionist (which was released a few months earlier), and IMO The Illusionist was better.

Yes! The Illusionist was so much better, I've never understood why the Prestige (or any of Nolan's movies for that matter) was considered that good.
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 06:46
  • Post subject:
I don't get all the hate for "On the Run." The first time I listened to it, that track and "Eclipse" were the only ones that stood out.
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/16/2013 15:01
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:
Bleh.

The most overrated album of all time. I've tried and tried this album, but it's just really really boring. There are some moments... "Time" is alright, but nothing spectacular. "Brian Damage" and "Eclipse" are slightly better, but still leave something to be desired. That being said, I really really really love "Us and Them", which is my 2nd favorite Pink Floyd song. "Any Colour You Like" does fine as a transition. The rest of this album is a total snooze-fest. Fuck "Money".

Well said, my man.
  • Visit poster's website