Varg Vikernes (Burzum) Arrested For Planning Mass Murder

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 07/16/2013 19:51
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Quote:
I'm kind of obsessed with John Lennon's solo work and while I watch many DVDs and read the books on the person, I can't ever have them in my personal club because of certain things.

I feel like this is sort of petty.

How so?
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/16/2013 19:52
  • Post subject:
The two hottest topics on bea right now are about the elder scrolls and black metal. and its not even my birthday.

And ill respond to the actual questions when im not wasting company time and data although im sure most of you can guess my stance on this already.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 19:52
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:
It's all about the music for me. Art imo exists separate to the creator (not sure I worded that great, but I hope my sentiment is understood)

I would agree. For me, the artist is just the vehicle for the art. Caring about their personal life seems pointless to me. Like Jack White once said, it's like caring about what kind of shoes Michelangelo wore.

Now if I happen to like the artist as a person, that's a nice bonus, but it isn't a requirement for me to like the music.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/16/2013 19:53
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
How so?

That you cut out enjoying an artist that you have loved the art of just because you discovered their perspectives and beliefs and personality are different. This is no different then the metalhead "friends" I had who loved Orphaned Land, but as soon as they found out they were writing lyrics with religious focus in mind they dropped them like they were garbage when on the previous day they were praising them for their progressive musical art.

If we throw away art because of the people behind the art then in my opinion it puts us below rational logical human beings.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 19:54
  • Post subject:
[quote="Gowienczyk"]
Quote:
Unless you are financially funding bands like Skrewdriver then there should be no guilt involved.

I have to disagree with that. If you're someone who enjoys white-supremacist anthems, I'd hope you feel guilty.
  • Visit poster's website
ColumnatedRuins

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 19:55
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
If we throw away art because of the people behind the art then in my opinion it puts us below rational logical human beings.

I don't agree with this at all. if I don't want to listen to music with white-supremacy lyrics because it irritates and offends me, I'm not a rational human being?
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/16/2013 19:59
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
That you cut out enjoying an artist that you have loved the art of just because you discovered their perspectives and beliefs and personality are different. This is no different then the metalhead "friends" I had who loved Orphaned Land, but as soon as they found out they were writing lyrics with religious focus in mind they dropped them like they were garbage when on the previous day they were praising them for their progressive musical art.

That has no relation to what I have said.

I try not to use the word "loved" myself and I'm not big on art either. The rest of the line afterwards was pure fiction.

Final line is one I don't like at all.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/16/2013 20:00
  • Post subject:
ColumnatedRuins wrote:
I don't agree with this at all. if I don't want to listen to music with white-supremacy lyrics because it irritates and offends me, I'm not a rational human being?

I'm not saying this for people who don't want to listen to music they don't identify or whatever. I'm saying this for art that we love and then "flip flop" on once we for instance learn the artist was a progressive liberal or xenophonic and so on. However, we should put an effort to understand art and try to put our emotions aside before we react.

Art is supposed to emit a emotional or intellectual response. If you were disgusted by Skrewdriver, delete the album and don't revisit it.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 20:01
  • Post subject:
ColumnatedRuins wrote:
I have no qualms with listening to the Burzum album I just got because it is relatively apolitical; I don't have to listen to Vikerenes's disgusting philosophy. I would not listen to Burzum if he included racist, white-supremicist lyrics or glorifying the killing of others, for example (the latter probably wouldn't happen, the former is more realistic). It's not a censorship thing for me, I just don't want that negative shit in my life to be honest. Which sounds lame but I guess that's how I feel.

I think this is an excellent point. Burzum's music would carry a much different weight if it included his personal philosophies.

I tend to find it incredibly difficult to listen to music with highly aggressive and morally disgusting lyrics.

Vikernes definitely comes across as eloquent in Until the Light Takes Us. It's always the evil geniuses that you have to watch out for.
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 07/16/2013 20:01
  • Post subject:
ColumnatedRuins wrote:

That is part of the art, that is not what the debate is about, I would definitely stay away from music of that content, not because of the people who make it, but because of the music. If for example Bob Dylan (or some other artist you like) came out and said he was a white supremacist, would your opinion on his music change, considering none of his lyrics allude to it?
  • Visit poster's website