Varg Vikernes (Burzum) Arrested For Planning Mass Murder

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ColumnatedRuins

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 20:03
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:
That is part of the art, that is not what the debate is about, I would definitely stay away from music of that content, not because of the people who make it, but because of the music. If for example Bob Dylan (or some other artist you like) came out and said he was a white supremacist, would your opinion on his music change, considering none of his lyrics allude to it?

No. So long as his music was apolitical, which is what I expressed on the first page. But I thought Gowiencyzk's point was referring to the music itself, not solely the artist behind it. Apologies if I assumed incorrectly.

Last edited by ColumnatedRuins on 07/16/2013 20:05; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/16/2013 20:03
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I tend to find it incredibly difficult to listen to music with highly aggressive and morally disgusting lyrics.

I listen to shock rock and certain aspects of punk music so I guess I don't have this difficulty. But with that said I am disgusted (and do despise) bigotry so bands like Skrewdriver are bands I stay away from because their art has nothing to say to me in the first place.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 20:09
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:
If for example Bob Dylan (or some other artist you like) came out and said he was a white supremacist, would your opinion on his music change, considering none of his lyrics allude to it?

Yes. I simply can't separate the two things entirely. Would I still listen to Dylan? Probably. Would I buy more of his records? no.

I think, ultimately I would start hearing things in his lyrics that could come across as as racist. Naturally, this is totally not a real scenario, but I do believe that such a powerful character flaw could force you to interpret the music different and hear things you wouldn't have heard.

Not long ago, Daniel Johnston was reported to be making ant-semitic remarks at his concerts. I still enjoy his music, but he may be an odd case.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 20:15
  • Post subject:
Quote:
If for example Bob Dylan (or some other artist you like) came out and said he was a white supremacist, would your opinion on his music change, considering none of his lyrics allude to it?

For me, no. My opinion of him would change, certainly, but I would not change my opinion of his music.

When it comes to art, I create two very separate opinions: an opinion of the art, and an opinion of the artists, and I try my hardest not to let the two mix.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 07/16/2013 23:31
  • Post subject:
[quote="Gowienczyk"]
Quote:

Unless you are financially funding bands like Skrewdriver then there should be no guilt involved.

Why do you draw the line there? Is it because they are associated with an organized group? I dont think they have actually done anything Illegal like killing someone. They seem pretty harmless. Or am I mistaken?

Also i would like to say I would pay good good money for the chance to have a conversation with Varg Vikernes. I imagine it would be a blast to patronize him in a really overt manner.

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 23:41
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
If we throw away art because of the people behind the art then in my opinion it puts us below rational logical human beings.

How is that below rational logic? I don't see why anyone should say how others should approach art. Not sure if I'm alone here, but aesthetics definitely play a huge part on my taste in art, especially in music.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2013 23:52
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Since I've got this topic going, might as well raise a few interesting questions...

Can you like the music of someone who disgusts you as a human being?

Probably, though this hasn't been the case yet (no musician I've ever heard disgusts me). Maybe I should listen to Charles Manson's music...

meccalecca wrote:
Would you buy the music of a convicted murderer?

Phil Spector, so yes.

meccalecca wrote:
Are there artists whose music you can no longer enjoy because of their personality or actions?

I guess not.

meccalecca wrote:
Does violent music provide insight into the mind of the performer, or is it just music and nothing more?

Probably, though most likely I'd think nothing of it when listening to it, unless it was especially grotesque/violent/offensive (e.g. "I Cum Blood" by Cannibal Corpse), in which case I'd probably just not listen to it. I suppose if an artist had recordings of murder or rape or something during the song I'd probably be pretty weirded out.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/17/2013 14:48
  • Post subject:
OK so i know everyone wants my opinion on this so woo here we go.

No an artist's personality or criminal record doesnt play a factor in me liking or buying their music. I listen to a lot of black metal and i imagine that i would not be listening to most of them if i restricted myself like that. Burn as many churches as you want if you make good tunes ill listen to it. (NOTE: i do not condone burning churches or other buildings).

Where i might draw the line is if (for example) a singer/songwriter made a song that had over the top blunt lyrics about rape or something. eg "I rape children la la la la la". But id probably just attribute that to poor songwriting, and having lyrics like "im eating chips la la la la la" could be equally as bad to me. Lyrics generally dont mean that much to me, but really god awful lyrics can ruin songs. And this goes back to black metal. Despite the fact that i listen to tons of it, some I still have no idea what the fuck theyre singing (shrieking) about. Usually in that case i just make up my own themes about the music. Oh this has a forest on the cover? must be about forests. Boom. That album is about forests. It could be about white supremacy but what do i know. I dont speak norwegian shriek and i dont care anyways. Most of the black metal albums i own dont even have lyrics in the sleeves so i can just assume theyre talking about winter or death or whatever the hell i want. Thats the great thing about art. You can make up your own themes based on the feelings you get from it. I have never listened to anything that has made think of actually raping babies or practicing genocide so I think im doing ok.

ps this is also why music does not cause people to do terrible things. if you start a mass murder because you think a song said it was cool then hey youre really stupid and proabably couldve been prompted by a super soaker commercial to do the same thing.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2013 15:10
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
ps this is also why music does not cause people to do terrible things. if you start a mass murder because you think a song said it was cool then hey youre really stupid and proabably couldve been prompted by a super soaker commercial to do the same thing.

I agree with you that music does not cause people to do terrible things, but it does influence them. Some music glorifies violence, misogyny, or spews racism, etc. I think there's definitely a need for moral responsibility within arts, video games, movies, etc. I'm definitely not saying censorship. That's the opposite of a solution. These things definitely have subliminal effects on the subconscious mind. If you've ever watched a violent movie, and then had a violent dream, that's very clear evidence. Obviously, this doesn't mean you'll go out and kill. And to a certain extent, a violent video game or music can be a therapeutic release for built up aggression. There's a very fine line.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2013 15:16
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Thats the great thing about art. You can make up your own themes based on the feelings you get from it. I have never listened to anything that has made think of actually raping babies or practicing genocide so I think im doing ok.

Agreed about the art thing.

And for the PS part: seeing as music often comes from the soul (or whatever) and advertising is an attempt to make people do/buy something, well yeah I agree with this.