Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/17/2013 15:29
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I agree with you that music does not cause people to do terrible things, but it does influence them. Some music glorifies violence, misogyny, or spews racism, etc. I think there's definitely a need for moral responsibility within arts, video games, movies, etc. I'm definitely not saying censorship. That's the opposite of a solution. These things definitely have subliminal effects on the subconscious mind. If you've ever watched a violent movie, and then had a violent dream, that's very clear evidence. Obviously, this doesn't mean you'll go out and kill. And to a certain extent, a violent video game or music can be a therapeutic release for built up aggression. There's a very fine line.

I would say violence is more influenced by ones actual human interaction. Bullying has no doubt in my mind caused more deaths than death metal ever will. I seriously doubt playing GTA and listening to Suffocation is going to cause someone to just say "fuck lets murder some people today" while being content with your life. Im sure it could potentially be a tipping point, but so could stepping in dog shit or not getting the birthday gift you wanted. If youre mentally unstable, youre mentally unstable. Theres no way listening to "violent" music would make you that way nor should it take any of the blame.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2013 15:45
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
I would say violence is more influenced by ones actual human interaction. Bullying has no doubt in my mind caused more deaths than death metal ever will. I seriously doubt playing GTA and listening to Suffocation is going to cause someone to just say "fuck lets murder some people today" while being content with your life. Im sure it could potentially be a tipping point, but so could stepping in dog shit or not getting the birthday gift you wanted. If you're mentally unstable, youre mentally unstable. Theres no way listening to "violent" music would make you that way nor should it take any of the blame.

I don't disagree with this. But I do think it's influential, especially on developing minds, kids, teenagers. The glamorization of materialism in commercial rap has clearly been quite influential. Just as I believe homophobia in various media has slowed progression on that front. Murder and rape are obvious more extreme acts caused by a multitude of factors.

Back in my teenage years, I spent the bulk of my weekends at NY Hardcore shows, where I witnessed aggressive, angry kids react to aggressive music by beating the shit out of one another. Maybe the music provided an excuse for these kids to behave more violently, or maybe it fed into the testosterone. Definitely not the cause, but possibly a catalyst
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2013 16:03
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Back in my teenage years, I spent the bulk of my weekends at NY Hardcore shows, where I witnessed aggressive, angry kids react to aggressive music by beating the shit out of one another. Maybe the music provided an excuse for these kids to behave more violently, or maybe it fed into the testosterone. Definitely not the cause, but possibly a catalyst

Or possibly the hardcore shows were a means for already violent teens to release their rage instead of going out and shooting up their schools. This reminds me of a study I saw recently where it said that people that listen to metal have depression and anxiety issues at higher rates than people that don't listen to metal, but that study is just so misleading. Metal isn't the cause of this, it just attracts people with those issues at a higher rate. At least that was the case for me.
Wombi

• Posted: 07/17/2013 16:16
  • Post subject:
http://soncrossacademy.org/scnew/what-m...out-music/

...although describing Anthrax as acid rock is fairly strange.

These studies are all pretty famous and point to the same conclusion. Unless of course it's misleading because they somehow put all the aggressive and distracted mice in the same group that happened to be the same group that listened to Anthrax.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2013 16:19
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
Or possibly the hardcore shows were a means for already violent teens to release their rage instead of going out and shooting up their schools. This reminds me of a study I saw recently where it said that people that listen to metal have depression and anxiety issues at higher rates than people that don't listen to metal, but that study is just so misleading. Metal isn't the cause of this, it just attracts people with those issues at a higher rate. At least that was the case for me.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying metal = violence or anything like that. I've been a bit of devil's advocate for sake of positive discussion. And I agree, it attracts people with those issues at a higher rate, and offers a place to release that rage. I'm sure the suicide rate of people listening to Elliot Smith is higher than other forms of music too, because people suffering from manic depression relate to it.

Side note: I'll never forgive the drunk asshole who jumped off the 2nd floor balcony and landed on the kid in front of me, paralyzing him permanently.

Also, once saw an asshole lift up another kid and drop him directly on his head while System of a Down was playing. Not sure if that kid survived without serious injury
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2013 16:22
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
http://soncrossacademy.org/scnew/what-m...out-music/

...although describing Anthrax as acid rock is fairly strange.

These studies are all pretty famous and point to the same conclusion. Unless of course it's misleading because they somehow put all the aggressive and distracted mice in the same group that happened to be the same group that listened to Anthrax.

hahaha. I find that study a bit baffling. When I was at one of my old jobs, we'd always crank up Slayer on deadline days and I definitely seemed to work more quickly.

But maybe the mice were simply too busy rocking out to Anthrax to be bothered with a shitty maze
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 07/17/2013 16:28
  • Post subject:
Yeah, there's definitley things to consider. Like the fact that the music was blasted for 10 hours a day (although this did seem to work in the classical music group's favour) and the fact that the results would differ slightly for humans.

I thought the most interesting this was that they were the only group that attacked (and killed as I read in other reports of the study) each other. You only have to look at the examples you gave above to see that it can (not neccecarily 'will') incite mindless violence.

Also I think this is why every metalhead I meet is an arrogant douche, it's an aggressive behaviour. Although I'm talking about people who spend 95-99% of their music listening - listening to metal. Moderation is the key, kids.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 07/17/2013 16:38
  • Post subject:
I'm no biologist, but I doubt neurological systems of mice and men are comparable. I don't think we have the same instincts developed.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/17/2013 16:42
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Also I think this is why every metalhead I meet is an arrogant douche, it's an aggressive behaviour. Although I'm talking about people who spend 95-99% of their music listening - listening to metal. Moderation is the key, kids.

Weird most of the metalheads (admittedly not many) i know are super nice. Definitely nicer than those Vampire Weekend fan assholes.

I will say though that I generally dont get a violent vibe from black metal. I can easily sleep to Burzum and if i was feeling angry before it would probably calm me down. Death metal keeps me awake but i can study to Immolation without ripping paper and breaking pencils.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2013 16:43
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
I'm no biologist, but I doubt neurological systems of mice and men are comparable. I don't think we have the same instincts developed.

Have you ever been to Walmart?
  • Visit poster's website