Most charts on this website...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 07/25/2013 19:46
  • Post subject: Most charts on this website...
... are terrible! Surprised Gawd! You even trying anymore BEA? It's like you're either putting up the same Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones albums over and over or putting the same smart music albums Unknown Pleasures, Loveless, Doolittle, Ys, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and hoping no one notices. Well I notice. Yeah, I have a much better chart than pretty much all of you. If my chart were a person they would be completing long distance marathons... walking on their hands!!! Shocked Poseurs can't stand the blinding light of my truth! Be gone!

... Anxious

Laughing

... so... what I wanted to ask about is the way we rate user charts here. A considerable amount of people don't take negative scores well. Even 6/10 which means good album to me.Do you think it is entirely the fault of the person who gets mad at the low score or the person who is giving the low scores?
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2013 19:50
  • Post subject:
I think it should be rated at how much the chart made you happy.

Having your favorites should make you happy.
Having obscure gems should make you happy.
Having well-written comments should make you happy.
Having hot girls on the album covers should make you happy.
  • Visit poster's website
cattlest

• Posted: 07/25/2013 19:50
  • Post subject:
you seem like a cool guy, i don't know alot of the stuff on your chart. i'll have to try them out, i've been listening to alot of music lately, but i've been out of the loop for awhile. i like your avatar too.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2013 19:54
  • Post subject: Re: Most charts on this website...
an_outlaw wrote:
... are terrible! Surprised Gawd! You even trying anymore BEA? It's like you're either putting up the same Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones albums over and over or putting the same smart music albums Unknown Pleasures, Loveless, Doolittle, Ys, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and hoping no one notices. Well I notice. Yeah, I have a much better chart than pretty much all of you. If my chart were a person they would be completing long distance marathons... walking on their hands!!! Shocked Poseurs can't stand the blinding light of my truth! Be gone!

... Anxious

Laughing

... so... what I wanted to ask about is the way we rate user charts here. A considerable amount of people don't take negative scores well. Even 6/10 which means good album to me.Do you think it is entirely the fault of the person who gets mad at the low score or the person who is giving the low scores?

Oh lordy. There are albums that appear on the bulk of the charts because they're the most popular albums of all time.

My chart includes Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Doolittle, Unknown Pleasures, Loveless, In The Aeroplane. I'm not trying. I don't need to try. I'm being honest.

this guy was cool but you killed him...
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=10750
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 07/25/2013 19:57
  • Post subject:
I rate charts based on how much they contribute to the site, which generally means how original the list is. If it's just another OK Computer, ITAOTS praise-fest then I'll rank it way low - the chart is just once again segregating the obvious choices from some really great albums climbing up the charts.

That said, if a chart contains well thought through comments about why an album means something personal to them, regardless of the choices I will rate them very highly. I actually really don't like meccalecca's chart, but he comes across as such an intellegent, thoughtful guy that can so well explain why some albums are so powerful, that I had to give him the full 100. We need more charts like that.

Ultimately though, a chart just needs to be honest - it's just hard to tell that sometimes.

I like to be honest in my ratings, but as an_outlaw said, it doesn't always go down so well. One day I sat down and thought I'd comment on every new chart with some constructive thoughts to help them progress their chart.

One chart I gave 50/100 and explained why I didn't like the chart (it was generic) and that personal comments would really help. He responded by giving my chart 5/100, downvoting my comment and answering back:

"Sadly I don't really give a fuck what others think of my chart"

Charming.

Last edited by Puncture Repair on 07/25/2013 19:59; edited 1 time in total
Kiki

• Posted: 07/25/2013 19:57
meccalecca wrote:
Oh lordy. There are albums that appear on the bulk of the charts because they're the most popular albums of all time.

My chart includes Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Doolittle, Unknown Pleasures, Loveless, In The Aeroplane. I'm not trying. I don't need to try. I'm being honest.

this guy was cool but you killed him...
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=10750

Like... what was even the point in that incident? Think It's... why me over everyone else? Is it because I'm shining brighter than everyone else?

I'm so fantastic! Embarassed
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2013 20:01
an_outlaw wrote:
Like... what was even the point in that incident? Think It's... why me over everyone else? Is it because I'm shining brighter than everyone else?

I'm so fantastic! Embarassed

PretentiousGuy was a short lived alter-ego intent on playing devil's advocate while mocking the elitists. Unfortunately I never had time to develop it.

but honestly, you're a very proud person. It can be a good thing, but it's also a very fine line.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2013 20:05
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I actually really don't like meccalecca's chart, but he comes across as such an intellegent, thoughtful guy that can so well explain why some albums are so powerful, that I had to give him the full 100. We need more charts like that.

Thanks Puncture. I'm actually rather surprised that you don't like my chart that much. We seem to have rather similar taste.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 07/25/2013 20:17
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Thanks Puncture. I'm actually rather surprised that you don't like my chart that much. We seem to have rather similar taste.

We do, but the truth is, I don't like my own chart.
Kiki

• Posted: 07/25/2013 20:20
meccalecca wrote:
PretentiousGuy was a short lived alter-ego intent on playing devil's advocate while mocking the elitists. Unfortunately I never had time to develop it.

but honestly, you're a very proud person. It can be a good thing, but it's also a very fine line.

You really saw me as one of the biggest problems here? Confused I'm the one against the elitists. I'm one of the lowest in the pile in that respect.