Chart Ratings

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Posted: 07/26/2013 08:19
  • Post subject: Chart Ratings
Alright, BEA, it's time we sat down and had a serious talk. The rather insidious evil that is chart ratings has grated on my conscience for basically as long as I've been here, and an_outlaw's most recent hijinx, along with the discussion that has followed, has alerted me to the fact that I'm not alone.

"Evil?" you say. "But the charts are what this site is built on! Certainly it must be one's primary objective as a member of this site to have a high-rated chart that is loved by the masses."

No. No it mustn't. Let's start with the basics:

A chart is, essentially, a tool one can use to conveniently list his/her favorite albums for the viewing pleasure of other users. It's true that charts can be good for recommendations, as well, but this does not strike me as their primary purpose (I realize some disagree; I will address this shortly).

So what is it exactly that we're rating? If someone's chart is an honest reflection of his/her favorite albums, then certainly it must be ludicrous to deem his/her chart less valuable simply because one does not agree with his/her taste. What is even more bizarre to me is the way people will give a lower rating because a chart is not "varied" enough. Why do I say this is bizarre? Statistics seem useful in this situation. Consider the following example:

Dennis is an avid music listener. He has listened to precisely 1000 albums and has ranked every one of them. Among these 1000 albums are 10 Beatles albums. Now let's assume, for the sake of argument, that this ranking is completely random (considering the subjectivity of musical taste, this should be a fair assumption). In other words, any particular album is equally likely to be in any given rank. Statistically speaking, a top 10 consisting solely of Beatles albums is just as likely as any other particular top 10 (disregarding order). And yet, if Dennis, after serious contemplation, determines these 10 Beatles albums to be the 10 greatest albums he has heard, he will inevitably be punished by low ratings should he choose to stay true to his tastes in making his chart.

Is this horribly improbable? Well yes, but as I pointed out, so is any other particular top 10. Now, the obvious rebuttal to this is something like: "Sure, it is technically possible that an avid music listener will have 10 Beatles albums in his/her top 10, but it is incredibly unlikely. More likely than not, any user with a top 10 consisting of a single artist is rather close-minded regarding music." Okay, granted, but is an average chart rating of 30/100 really a suitable punishment for being a statistical anomaly? Hardly. Even if a user reveals him/herself to be fairly ignorant in the forums, to give a low rating because of this would be more a rating of the user than of his/her chart.

Now, how about comments? Okay, yes, comments are great, and rating a chart based on the quality of comments seems pretty fair (though it could be argued that this is a judgment on the chart creator's oratorical prowess, not on the chart itself). Obviously, though, this is not what people are basing their ratings on. Just look at MrFrogger's chart. Despite being ranked #3 on the site, it is almost entirely devoid of comments. I don't mean this as a criticism of his chart (if I did that would rather undermine this entire post), but if comments were the driving force behind most ratings, it should be fairly obvious that Frogger's chart would not be rated so high.

So what about recommendations? As previously mentioned, the purpose of the charts is to share your favorite albums with the world. So what if almost all of your favorite albums happen to be pretty well-known? Now, some users use one-album-per-artist or other such rules to make their charts more diverse, thus increasing the quality of recommendations, but it seems perfectly logical that a user would gear his/her chart towards simply representing their 100 favorite albums as honestly as possible. Now, I'm not about to go full Naples on you guys and insist that my method of chart-making is the only proper one, but it is a reasonable one, and so users should not be punished for employing it.

The average chart rating that I give out is currently at 92/100. I don't see any reason to give a chart a rating below 90. Why should I? To make the creator feel like his/her taste is less valuable? To make sure that chart gets less exposure? To scare the user into altering his/her chart to be more diverse, thus increasing its rating but simultaneously making it less genuine? Do you see how ridiculous this is? Charts should not be rated because they represent a user's taste, and taste is not something to be graded.

Now, I'm not going to start a rebel faction and go on forum strike until chart ratings are removed, but I thought I'd post this as some food for thought. To those of you who disagree: What is your criteria for rating a chart? In what way do you feel I've misrepresented the intention of chart ratings?

Apologies if this post was rambly. It's past my bedtime.
  • Posted: 07/26/2013 08:34
  • Post subject: Re: Chart Ratings
swedenman wrote:
What is your criteria for rating a chart? In what way do you feel I've misrepresented the intention of chart ratings?

As someone (I believe it was Puncture Repair) said in the other thread, I feel a chart should at least add something to the site. Now, it is then up to me (or you, or whoever is rating that chart) to decide whether or not they have actually managed to do that, based on entirely subjective criteria. Sometimes that could mean a points boost for my favourite albums, thus propelling them further up the overall charts (though I don't really take this int account so much), or it could be an interesting chart full of undiscovered gems, or it could have some really lovely commentary explaining why the creator loves these albums so much, or it could just be a highly entertaining read (perhaps a trawl through various different genres with little regard for critical acclaim or popular opinion, or maybe a lovingly put together one album per artist chart that manages to spread out the albums across the decades equally, much like JoD's chart). It could be anything. I mean, we all sit and read Rolling Stone's or Pitchfork's lists and bitch about what's bad about them, or decide that they're actually very good lists, so why not do that with charts. I'm not trying to belittle somebody's taste when I give a chart a bad rating. It's usually because a chart is boring to me (too many canonical classics), lacking in personality (nothing to distinguish said chart from 100 others just like it, and usually without any comments too), full of music I don't like, far too heavily weighted towards two or three artists and thus lacking variety - for me, a chart that does those things isn't adding anything to the site. You may disagree, and say that every chart adds something to the site simply by existing and acting as a vessel for somebody to show others their taste in music, and that's your prerogative, but to me those charts aren't very interesting charts, and the best way for me to convey that is through a rating and a comment (I usually leave a comment whenever I rate a chart, so I'm not just giving someone a 20/100 or something without any explanation).

But yeah, I can see why it bugs you. It just doesn't bug me. I like rating charts, I find it akin to rating albums. So what if I'm ranking somebody else's music taste, I do that in my head with everybody I meet IRL anyway. It doesn't stop me from creating friends, either here or in real life, it's just something I (and many other people) do. If you don't like rating charts, don't rate them. I've no intention of giving up doing so, though.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada
  • Posted: 07/26/2013 08:36
  • Post subject:
I'm sorry, I had to stop reading halfway because it was stupid.

If Dennis thinks those ten Beatles albums are the ten best albums he's heard, guess what? I disagree. So I'm rating his chart poorly. That's how this works, get it? I don't agree with his taste so I rate his chart poorly. That's kinda how this works. I know, right? Mind blown.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
SingingPeasant96
Coming-of-Age

Unknown
  • Posted: 07/26/2013 08:40
  • Post subject:
I never thaught about rating chart seriously, If the chart gave me impressive recommandations or something, I rate it high, I guess many of us do same. Why so serious?

Did you get bad rating from someone and get mad?
SquishypuffDave

Australia
  • Posted: 07/26/2013 08:55
  • Post subject:
Chart ratings show how much a chart is valued by the community. For whatever reason. That's all there really is to it. Ratings don't have anything to do with what the creator thinks of the chart's content. Usually that's self evident: it's their favourite music. Ratings are for everyone else. If you're making the chart primarily for yourself, then it shouldn't matter. If you're making the chart for everyone else's enjoyment and you get a low rating, then either accept it or make the chart better.
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam
  • Posted: 07/26/2013 09:11
  • Post subject:
Rate peoples chart if they care about what you think. They don't.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States
  • Posted: 07/26/2013 09:18
  • Post subject:
I think it's a lot like Rotten Tomatoes Aggregation. These rating may seem "objective" at first, but you can see that it's rigged towards the unthinking majority.

Mulholland Drive has an 82% on RT, while the Avengers has a 92%. Yet if you tell any of the Sight & Sound editors that the latter is better than the former, they'll probably laugh at you.

This isn't to criticize The Avengers. But in that same way, chart ratings (and member rank) mean nothing.

I can feel pretty crummy about my 82/100 overall chart, but then I remember that some of my favorite people love it. That's more than enough for me.

PS: If you have Atoms for Peace on your overall chart, you are officially screaming out "I'm an idiot! Give me a 5/100!!" Just sayin' (Once again, not because it's a bad album at all, but because it uncannily shows how much cultural capital you have)
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark
  • Posted: 07/26/2013 10:48
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
I'm sorry, I had to stop reading halfway because it was stupid.

If Dennis thinks those ten Beatles albums are the ten best albums he's heard, guess what? I disagree. So I'm rating his chart poorly. That's how this works, get it? I don't agree with his taste so I rate his chart poorly. That's kinda how this works. I know, right? Mind blown.

Very accommodating. Rolling Eyes

I think you've got it right that charts that lack diversity/originality don't deserve to be rated lower, but ultimately, it's up to the one who rates it. It's a matter of taste and there's not much to do about it. Personally, I prefer charts with a clear preference to charts with a 1 album/artist-rule, but I can't outweigh this unbalance myself and most people don't feel the same way as I do about this.

I highly disagree with Polythene Pam. People care about what other people think about their charts. Why else give "revenge-ratings"?
Polythene Pam
  • Posted: 07/26/2013 10:52
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:

I highly disagree with Polythene Pam. People care about what other people think about their charts. Why else give "revenge-ratings"?

Still I have never been "revenge rated" because I don't rate charts Surprised And actually that doesn't prove they care what you think at all, it only proves they don't want "low" ratings for their charts.
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 07/26/2013 10:57
  • Post subject:
Surely, this is a "problem" which is easily solved. If you don't agree with rating charts, ignore the rating system and leave it for those who use it to worry about.
  • Visit poster's website