Johnny Borrell's debut solo album sells 594 copies...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 07/29/2013 19:32
  • Post subject: Johnny Borrell's debut solo album sells 594 copies...
... in the first week and fails to make the top 100. Shocked I wasn't aware of a single from the guy and I only saw the album today. Amazing. This guy was in a hugely successful band and obviously had a golden touch for writing songs. Anyone who has a wrote a number 1 hit must have some magic after all.

Multi platinum albums in his own nation as well and now a solo album not reaching the top 100 there? I understand a single not getting into the top 100 as Rock Artists/Bands are rarely promoted these days in the singles department but an album...

A once mighty icon has fallen oh so fast. I would have wondered what had become of Pete Doherty too though he has suddenly appeared out of no where again.

http://www.nme.com/news/johnny-borrell/71717
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/29/2013 19:53
  • Post subject:
Ahahaha, oh man, that's quite a fall.
  • Visit poster's website
Evandar

• Posted: 07/29/2013 20:13
  • Post subject:
I had to google his name, as I didn't recognize it. I've heard of The Libertines, certainly, but that's as far as it goes for me.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/29/2013 23:15
  • Post subject:
Evandar wrote:
I had to google his name, as I didn't recognize it. I've heard of The Libertines, certainly, but that's as far as it goes for me.

Uh... the guy was the lead singer of Razorlight...
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 07/29/2013 23:41
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
Uh... the guy was the lead singer of Razorlight...

He played bass at a rehearsal or two with the band (The Libertines) and never any gigs(or so has been my belief for quite some time), he was ever officially a part of the band though.

Also I'm delighted, he seems like a horrible human being.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/30/2013 11:40
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:
Also I'm delighted, he seems like a horrible human being.

This. I lol'd.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2013 12:07
  • Post subject:
I know 594 copies the first week sounds like nothing, but considering that it's been a while and it's doubtful Razorlight had a very devoted fanbase, it's not a bad first week for a shitty solo performer getting bad reviews.

My friend was doing PR for some significant bands, and occasionally i'd hear sales numbers. They were usually horrible. only a few artists really sell a lot of records
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2013 14:54
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I know 594 copies the first week sounds like nothing, but considering that it's been a while and it's doubtful Razorlight had a very devoted fanbase, it's not a bad first week for a shitty solo performer getting bad reviews.

My friend was doing PR for some significant bands, and occasionally i'd hear sales numbers. They were usually horrible. only a few artists really sell a lot of records

What's "a lot" and what's a "horrible" number? I mean, I know there's gold, platinum, etc., but how much is normal or a lot for the first week?
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2013 15:45
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
What's "a lot" and what's a "horrible" number? I mean, I know there's gold, platinum, etc., but how much is normal or a lot for the first week?

I don't really know what's normal. i guess we'd have to establish what a normal level artist would be.

To give you an idea. My friend's company worked PR for a relatively well known band in Portugal who had toured with Flaming Lips. In Portugal they're a headlining act. They were attempting to break into the US, so they paid at least tens of thousands for marketing and publicity in anticipation of their album. They even paid to fly out American writers out to Portugal for a week.

The week that album was released in the U.S., I believe it sold less than 20 copies. No joke.

I think Ane Brun also sold less than 100 copies in the US during the first week of release with her last album. That's on a tour where she was opening for Peter Gabriel and sold out a decent NYC venue like Bowery Ballroom for a solo show.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/30/2013 16:04
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I don't really know what's normal. i guess we'd have to establish what a normal level artist would be.

To give you an idea. My friend's company worked PR for a relatively well known band in Portugal who had toured with Flaming Lips. In Portugal they're a headlining act. They were attempting to break into the US, so they paid at least tens of thousands for marketing and publicity in anticipation of their album. They even paid to fly out American writers out to Portugal for a week.

The week that album was released in the U.S., I believe it sold less than 20 copies. No joke.

I think Ane Brun also sold less than 100 copies in the US during the first week of release with her last album. That's on a tour where she was opening for Peter Gabriel and sold out a decent NYC venue like Bowery Ballroom for a solo show.

Oh my... Sad