Album of the day (#992): Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Ba

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
nf0603

• Posted: 08/06/2013 02:52
  • Post subject:
What can ya say that hasn't been said before? Amazing, masterpiece, groundbreaking, brilliant, etc...
  • Visit poster's website
them

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2013 02:54
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
I agree, "Bohemian Rhapsody" is much better.

Question is would there be a Bohemian Rhapsody without A Day In The Life having first been made.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 08/06/2013 03:01
  • Post subject:
them wrote:
Question is would there be a Bohemian Rhapsody without A Day In The Life having first been made.

I don't know, but that doesn't change the fact that I think Bohemian Rhapsody is infinitely superior to A Day In The Life.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/06/2013 03:12
  • Post subject:
them wrote:

What does this have to do with my claim that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a better song?
them

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2013 03:19
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
What does this have to do with my claim that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a better song?

Nothing. I was just considering how the Beatles were combining 2 songs into one back in 1967 which was rare to say the least at that time. It's only one of the numerous groundbreaking achievements of Peppers.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/06/2013 03:32
  • Post subject:
them wrote:
Nothing. I was just considering how the Beatles were combining 2 songs into one back in 1967 which was rare to say the least at that time. It's only one of the numerous groundbreaking achievements of Peppers.

Oh, I certainly don't disagree with that. I respect it in the same way I respect most of Revolver. I don't find it to be terribly enjoyable, but it did break new ground and pave the way for what I would consider much better music later.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 08/06/2013 03:34
  • Post subject:
them wrote:

I love the record, I just moved it to my top 30, but I'm not sure what you mean by achievements. I may sound a bit scaruffist here but I just think it's a fantastic pop record, and nothing more. The Beatles did not invent psychedelic music. It existed some years before them. What did they achieve here exactly, apart from combining two songs into one? It's not even an aggressive question, I genuinely don't see what they invented with this album.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 08/06/2013 03:44
  • Post subject:
Im imagining a world where everyone thinks a 1967 tv is the best tv and still is today. Your plasma tv in your living room owes a lot to that first one and therefore its worse somehow.

"Historical significance" apparently means just picking the first popular thing and romanticizing it until you forget that anything after it even exists
  • Visit poster's website
them

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2013 03:58
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
I love the record, I just moved it to my top 30, but I'm not sure what you mean by achievements. I may sound a bit scaruffist here but I just think it's a fantastic pop record, and nothing more. The Beatles did not invent psychedelic music. It existed some years before them. What did they achieve here exactly, apart from combining two songs into one? It's not even an aggressive question, I genuinely don't see what they invented with this album.

The album made some of the first uses of the wah wah pedal and fuzzbox. When recording it they ran voices and instruments through a leslie speaker. Also automatic double tracking and varispeeding recording techniques. There are other firsts and near firsts that were done with Pepper's but there is not much point in listing them all even if I could gather them up to post here. I understand the Beatles are both loved and hated on this site. But all one has to do is start looking up many of their favorite artists and bands, for example Queen, find out who they idolized and or were influenced by and which album in particular and 2 answers will often come back as the Beatles and Sgt. Pepper's. Many will say at this point who cares. Well, I do and so do many of the members of BEA's favorite bands also.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/06/2013 04:11
  • Post subject:
them wrote:
The album made some of the first uses of the wah wah pedal and fuzzbox. When recording it they ran voices and instruments through a leslie speaker. Also automatic double tracking and varispeeding recording techniques. There are other firsts and near firsts that were done with Pepper's but there is not much point in listing them all even if I could gather them up to post here. I understand the Beatles are both loved and hated on this site. But all one has to do is start looking up many of their favorite artists and bands, for example Queen, find out who they idolized and or were influenced by and which album in particular and 2 answers will often come back as the Beatles and Sgt. Pepper's. Many will say at this point who cares. Well, I do and so do many of the members of BEA's favorite bands also.

Actually, I agree with many of the people who are criticizing this argument. The Beatles weren't great because they were influential, they were influential because they were great. The music stands on its own.

On the other hand, comparing an album to a television set is pretty messed up too...