Autism/Aspergers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 08/11/2013 06:18
  • Post subject:
This test is very dubious indeed. I used a real life psychologist instead.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/13/2013 21:03
  • Post subject:

• Posted: 08/14/2013 15:09
  • Post subject:
I should say that this test is amazing; not because it's very exact and is crafted very well but for this reason: if anyone can intentionally answer those question so that the results show him/her not to be autistic (even with lying) then it proves that she/he is not. Because no autistic person can intentionally answer those question to show him not to be autistic. That's the difference between an autistic and a neurotypical person.
Kiki

• Posted: 08/14/2013 15:18
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
I should say that this test is amazing; not because it's very exact and is crafted very well but for this reason: if anyone can intentionally answer those question so that the results show him/her not to be autistic (even with lying) then it proves that she/he is not. Because no autistic person can intentionally answer those question to show him not to be autistic. That's the difference between an autistic and a neurotypical person.

How does one be an autistic person? I've seen 'autistic' being thrown around a lot lately. Can someone explain what it means right now in a few sentences? Don't fancy looking up big paragraphs.

• Posted: 08/14/2013 15:28
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
I got "very likely neurotypical" and then spent a relaxing day picking up on people's social cues while knowing what to do with my hands in conversation and enjoying physical contact.

I chuckled.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2013 15:28
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
How does one be an autistic person? I've seen 'autistic' being thrown around a lot lately. Can someone explain what it means right now in a few sentences? Don't fancy looking up big paragraphs.

Autism is something that's still very much a mystery, since the understanding of the human brain is still in very early stages. But generally, it's believed that a person with autism lacks empathy. Empathy is the capacity to recognize the emotions experienced by others. My young cousin has just recently been diagnosed as possibly having autism, but she's too young to be sure. I also had a roommate in college with autism. It was a very odd situation.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 08/14/2013 15:33
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Autism is something that's still very much a mystery, since the understanding of the human brain is still in very early stages. But generally, it's believed that a person with autism lacks empathy. Empathy is the capacity to recognize the emotions experienced by others. My young cousin has just recently been diagnosed as possibly having autism, but she's too young to be sure. I also had a roommate in college with autism. It was a very odd situation.

Thanks Smile So there is no real definate answer yet? I notice the word 'spectrum' used a lot with in relation to both Autism and Aspergers so it seems that way. Think
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2013 15:54
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Thanks Smile So there is no real definate answer yet? I notice the word 'spectrum' used a lot with in relation to both Autism and Aspergers so it seems that way. Think

Yeah. From what I understand, they've (Psychologists) merged Aspergers into Autism this year. From what I understand, scientists don't know what causes Autism, so it's extremely difficult to pin down.

My roommate in college had no idea he had it while he was living with us. No one did really. I wrote a psych paper theoretically diagnosing it, but he and his family discovered that he had Aspergers a year or so after college. There's actually a great segment of Radiolab about him. I highly recommend giving it a listen.
http://www.radiolab.org/2008/dec/29/the-frowners/
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2013 18:48
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
My roommate in college had no idea he had it while he was living with us. No one did really. I wrote a psych paper theoretically diagnosing it, but he and his family discovered that he had Aspergers a year or so after college. There's actually a great segment of Radiolab about him. I highly recommend giving it a listen.
http://www.radiolab.org/2008/dec/29/the-frowners/

No shit? From the "Diagnosis" episode? I remember him I think.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2013 19:06
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
No shit? From the "Diagnosis" episode? I remember him I think.

Yeah! Senior year of college, final semester, he replaced this douchy guy who always ate my food and never cleaned the dishes. The first day, we noticed that he had powerpuff girl sheets on his bed. This seemed odd for a huge black dude from the tough Bronx. But we just thought he was a little odd. Over time we tried to comprehend his actions. If we were all sitting around watching tv, he was watching us. In the mornings, when he was in the shower, we would hear him having arguments in multiple voices. So we thought maybe he was schizo. He was a really nice kid, but also did these things that would totally creep us out, like going to his room, closing the door, and peaking at us through the crack.

I was totally shocked when I stumbled onto that Radiolab episode. I had no idea it was going to be about him until I heard his voice.
  • Visit poster's website