Mad Men: boring or brilliant?

View previous topic :: View next topic
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 08/22/2013 17:03
  • Post subject: Mad Men: boring or brilliant?
After reading some posts in the Breaking Bad- thread, I see several people mentioning Mad Men as an example of a high quality TV-show. The thing is, I watched the first two episodes not so long ago and it was one of the dullest experience of my life. Yes, it was visually appealing, but there was not one single character I developed even the slightest bit of interest in. The main character had no personality at all, and the constant references to how sexist the 50's were got a bit tiring after a while.
So my question is: should I give it another chance, is it a "grower" or am I missing something else here?
  • Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 08/22/2013 17:20
  • Post subject:
I'm sorry if people are tired of this type of discussion, but I'd really appreciate an answer. It doesn't have to be really elaborate or anything.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 08/22/2013 17:34
  • Post subject:
I tried to watch Mad Men. I got the feeling that it was trying to be more of a museum piece than anything else. I found it too stylish, and way too...clean as far as the look of everything. I guess if working in corporate America appeals to you, it's cool. But I didn't like it. And, yeah...there's a lot of time spent pointing out how different the times were. I get that...they don't have to shove it down my throat.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/22/2013 17:47
  • Post subject: Re: Mad Men: boring or brilliant?
gussteivi wrote:
So my question is: should I give it another chance, is it a "grower" or am I missing something else here?

It's a grower. I took me more than a few episodes to really get into Mad Men. The characters develop slowly. You'll end up hating most of them, but there's a few to like. As someone who works in publishing in NYC, it hits closer to home than it will others, but I think there's a much more depth than the stylish look into the past.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/22/2013 17:59
  • Post subject:
First few seasons were really good, but it kind of dropped to okay later. But of course you have to be interested in the period piece drama they are crafting with the show. I'm a nut for period pieces so there's my interest in it. I also like the camerawork, production, and acting in addition to all of that. But my roomates say I'm the boring guy who sees the world in black & white, so.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/22/2013 18:37
  • Post subject:
I watch it for the wit of Don and Roger, and Peggy and Joan have their moments. The script is occasionally like an advert and just drops great one-liners one after another. As far as the motifs of sexism, racism, etc., the delivery may seem dated but often the writers are making a commentary on modern sexism, racism, etc. And yes, the show does serve as a type of history lesson of the period in a kind of Forrest Gump way. It's largely a show of dialogue; if you're looking for action, farfetched drama, or crazy plot twists, then you won't find much of it in Mad Men.
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 08/22/2013 19:29
  • Post subject:
ppnw wrote:
if you're looking for action, farfetched drama, or crazy plot twists, then you won't find much of it in Mad Men.

Yeah, I was expecting someone to give the 2deep4u answer. What about interesting character portraits, does it have that? And you're saying the sexism thing with racism added into the mix is an ongoing theme throughout the entire show? Because after two episodes it was already getting annoying. If was looking for being educated on how bad racism is I could just watch Crash over and over again Confused

meccalecca wrote:
It's a grower. I took me more than a few episodes to really get into Mad Men. The characters develop slowly. You'll end up hating most of them, but there's a few to like. As someone who works in publishing in NYC, it hits closer to home than it will others, but I think there's a much more depth than the stylish look into the past.

That's the answer I was looking for, I guess, will give it another try soon. It's just, two episodes equals 1 h 40 min, that's a full length move right there. It shouldn't be that hard to create something at least a little bit engaging in that time, but whatever.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 08/22/2013 19:34
  • Post subject:
Began watching it but I never really got into it to be honest and just started The Wire again instead, what purple said sums it up I guess, it's a show of dialogue and that's not what I'm personally inclined to go for most of the time. I'll probably try it again at a later stage and my opinions may or may not change, who knows.

• Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/22/2013 19:46
  • Post subject:
Peggy Olson is the single most beautiful human being to ever walk the earth. Joan is quite the looker, too. And PETE CAMPBELL'S A BOSS!

In all seriousness, though, it's the prolonged interactions that make Mad Men so great. Matthew Wiener ties in so many deep subtexts into each episode. You just need to watch out for them.
  • Visit poster's website