Pay money, meet the music artist

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 08/06/2013 18:42
  • Post subject: Pay money, meet the music artist
So I've been reading about music artists doing meet and greets. People pay money to see the artists backstage or something. You buy the ticket same way you'll get the one for the show. Very high prices I may add. Shocked You'll have to desire to see them greatly if you were to go through with it.

If the music artist is famous, do you think it is fine for them to charge fans money to meet them? After all, some fans really do want to meet them.
them

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2013 18:55
  • Post subject:
I'm all for it. Why not? Politicians charge $100 a plate for a dinner where they speak at and I would much rather meet an artist who can actually relate to me and is interesting. Not to open a Pandora's box but since people are now able to get artists music for free instead of having to pay for CD's etc. this is another way for them to make a living off of their being an artist.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:00
  • Post subject: Re: Pay money, meet the music artist
an_outlaw wrote:
So I've been reading about music artists doing meet and greets. People pay money to see the artists backstage or something. You buy the ticket same way you'll get the one for the show. Very high prices I may add. Shocked You'll have to desire to see them greatly if you were to go through with it.

If the music artist is famous, do you think it is fine for them to charge fans money to meet them? After all, some fans really do want to meet them.

That's capitalism for ya. I personally would never pay to meet someone like that. It's clear these artists are exploiting their fame and fans for monetary gain. But for some fans it could be a really important moment in their life to meet someone they idolize.

I've been lucky enough to talk to quite a few artists I really admire. most of the time, if you're in awe of someone, that conversation can be extremely awkward.
  • Visit poster's website
TracyJacks

Hungary

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:01
  • Post subject: Re: Pay money, meet the music artist
an_outlaw wrote:

I know it sounds silly but if someone who is extremely famous, then he/she shouldn't charge fans money to meet them...the reason is that they have enough money anyway. If they are so extremely famous then they probably don't want to meet 1000+ fans backstage anyway.

But if someone is less famous and hasn't got that much money (for example a band who just released a debut album/who are on their first tour and they don't know if they'll have money for the next recording session, tour etc. but they are relatively well-known already), then it's OK I would say.

If I had the money for it, and if I could meet one of my idols then I would pay for it.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:06
  • Post subject:
Isn't this why flashing your tits was invented?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:06
  • Post subject:
them wrote:
I'm all for it. Why not? Politicians charge $100 a plate for a dinner where they speak at and I would much rather meet an artist who can actually relate to me and is interesting. Not to open a Pandora's box but since people are now able to get artists music for free instead of having to pay for CD's etc. this is another way for them to make a living off of their being an artist.

I'm thinking more along the lines of an expensive circus. Laughing

Sean Moore gave me a proper "What you looking at?" face once and then with what seemed like the flick of a switch understand my situation and became amiable. So yeah meccalecca, awe can get in the way. Laughing Plus no one charged me.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:14
  • Post subject:
If you got a fresh stash of drugs, that's always a good way to get in the door to meet your rock & roll idols.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:17
  • Post subject:
Yeah I'd be opposed to it, it's exploiting fame, turning that person and their time into some kind of commodity.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:43
  • Post subject:
It's very much a slap to the fans' faces.
Evandar

• Posted: 08/06/2013 20:50
  • Post subject:
I think the way Metallica does it is nice. If you are a member of their fan club, you can enter a lottery along with other members and get the chance to meet them backstage (as the band would be there for days talking to fans if everyone could meet them). They've been doing this for many years, and I've seen videos of it, and the lucky few seems to be in heaven every time. Very Happy Metallica themselves breaks even or makes a slight loss (at least when I was a member, some 10-11 years ago) with the fan club thing, by the way, so it's not as if they're being greedy, quite the opposite.
  • Visit poster's website