Most Overrated Album

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Infinity183

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2014 22:45
  • Post subject:
Back in Black / AC/DC - This is a decent hard rock album with some incredible singles, but it's still not original enough to warrant a top 100 spot here, nor is it deserving of its staggering sales. Personally, I prefer Bon Scott as a vocalist over Brian Johnson, as the former was edgier and more unique, whereas Johnson mostly screams in falsetto, similar to Robert Plant but not as flavorful.

1984 / Van Halen - The singles are really the only memorable tracks on this record. The band's self-titled debut is better as an overall package.

Revolver / The Beatles - This album is enjoyable, but is it really complex and sophisticated enough to be the #3 album on this website? I could definitely make a positive argument on behalf of Sgt. Pepper's musical ambition, but Revolver only goes part of the way and still feels somewhat poppy.

Funeral / Arcade Fire - I really don't enjoy most 21st century music, including indie, as much as most people here. Arcade Fire is one of the better acts of this era, but I definitely wouldn't rank them alongside acts like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, or Stevie Wonder. I can appreciate their provocative lyrics and flowing musicianship, but I find most of the melodies throughout this album muddy. I know it's supposed to set a tone of paralysis and indifference, but it's still not really the type of work I'm particularly drawn to. This is widely considered one of the greatest albums of all time, but I'm unfortunately going to have to disagree.
  • Visit poster's website
goeie-oko

Netherlands

• Posted: 11/29/2014 23:18
  • Post subject:
I can never get into pet sounds, some good songs on there for sure but, to me, it just kind of felt like the beatles pre-rubber soul: a good band that had the potential to be a great band. But with the beach boys that (in my opinion) never really happened.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 11/29/2014 23:34
  • Post subject:
Infinity183 wrote:
Back in Black / AC/DC - This is a decent hard rock album with some incredible singles, but it's still not original enough to warrant a top 100 spot here, nor is it deserving of its staggering sales. Personally, I prefer Bon Scott as a vocalist over Brian Johnson, as the former was edgier and more unique, whereas Johnson mostly screams in falsetto, similar to Robert Plant but not as flavorful.

1984 / Van Halen - The singles are really the only memorable tracks on this record. The band's self-titled debut is better as an overall package.

Revolver / The Beatles - This album is enjoyable, but is it really complex and sophisticated enough to be the #3 album on this website? I could definitely make a positive argument on behalf of Sgt. Pepper's musical ambition, but Revolver only goes part of the way and still feels somewhat poppy.

Funeral / Arcade Fire - I really don't enjoy most 21st century music, including indie, as much as most people here. Arcade Fire is one of the better acts of this era, but I definitely wouldn't rank them alongside acts like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, or Stevie Wonder. I can appreciate their provocative lyrics and flowing musicianship, but I find most of the melodies throughout this album muddy. I know it's supposed to set a tone of paralysis and indifference, but it's still not really the type of work I'm particularly drawn to. This is widely considered one of the greatest albums of all time, but I'm unfortunately going to have to disagree.

Oh this reminds me of the amazon lists I used to look at before I found this website Smile There were lots of overrated music album charts with lots to say.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2014 23:39
  • Post subject:
Infinity183 wrote:

Agreed.

Infinity183 wrote:

Outside of some damn impressive guitar at moments on there, agreed.

Infinity183 wrote:

Who said an album had to be "complex and sophisticated"? Look at the Ramones, I wouldn't say they're particularly anything like complex or sophisticated, but damn if it isn't good and worth its love. Just curious if that's its only downfall in your mind, it's definitely not my favorite Beatles album but I don't get your point.

Infinity183 wrote:
Funeral / Arcade Fire - I really don't enjoy most 21st century music,

I'm just gonna stop right there actually. The rest of what you said's just opinion that's fine and whatever, it's personal, but I don't know that that's really a fair critique. Like, as a whole, I'm not big on 70s music. But that's not ALL 70s music, it just took me digging more to find the stuff from then I like. Same goes for metal and me. I think to close your mind to an album or a song or anything because of when it's from or what it is doesn't make sense, it should be about it's merit and quality.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 11/29/2014 23:42
  • Post subject:
You're teeth are coming out benpaco! Plus you were a month or so old when this thread was made, I thought you were with us longer Surprised
Infinity183

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2014 00:14
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Who said an album had to be "complex and sophisticated"? Look at the Ramones, I wouldn't say they're particularly anything like complex or sophisticated, but damn if it isn't good and worth its love. Just curious if that's its only downfall in your mind, it's definitely not my favorite Beatles album but I don't get your point.

Sgt. Pepper's has just as much musical accessibility as Revolver, but there's more experimentation and structural variety on that release than the latter, which really feels more like a precursor to that album than the Beatles' magnum opus. Revolver has plenty of tracks that work great in their simplicity, i.e., Yellow Submarine and Eleanor Rigby, but it doesn't offer enough to rank with the greats, in my opinion. For the record, by the way, I'm not a ginormous Ramones or punk fan in general, but I can still easily appreciate why the group and their followers are so popular (actually, Green Day's Dookie is one of my all-time favorite albums, as I'm just really endeared by the innocent yet desperate lyrics, propelled by idiosyncratically sunny progressions). The same cannot be said with Revolver, especially when compared to Sgt. Pepper's.

Quote:
'm just gonna stop right there actually. The rest of what you said's just opinion that's fine and whatever, it's personal, but I don't know that that's really a fair critique. Like, as a whole, I'm not big on 70s music. But that's not ALL 70s music, it just took me digging more to find the stuff from then I like. Same goes for metal and me. I think to close your mind to an album or a song or anything because of when it's from or what it is doesn't make sense, it should be about it's merit and quality.

I like the Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead's Kid A, and Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, but for the most part, music released since the new millennium is dominated by cynical lyrics and posh production, at the expense of exciting progressions (I know that kind of describes Kid A, but that album is so acute and coherently progressive that it somehow makes these elements work). It's not a completely universal trend, but for the most part, I tend to prefer creative music from the '70s, '80s, and even '90s.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 11/30/2014 00:44
  • Post subject:
Infinity183 wrote:
but for the most part, music released since the new millennium is dominated by cynical lyrics and posh production, at the expense of exciting progressions

Nothing against your opinion, you're entitled to it, just think you should consider delving more into music from the 21st century, there's literally hundreds and hundreds of incredible albums out there that are nowhere near the above description, I'm sure you'll find tons you love if you dig around for stuff, the year and decade charts on BEA are an absolute goldmine for this.

• Visit poster's website
Infinity183

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2014 00:59
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
Nothing against your opinion, you're entitled to it, just think you should consider delving more into music from the 21st century, there's literally hundreds and hundreds of incredible albums out there that are nowhere near the above description, I'm sure you'll find tons you love if you dig around for stuff, the year and decade charts on BEA are an absolute goldmine for this.

I'll admit that I've listened to way more 20th century albums than 21st century, but as of yet I haven't stumbled into very many artists/songs that attracted me to full releases from this century, compared to those from the '60s to the '90s.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2014 02:58
  • Post subject:
nope sorry you guys the most overrated album is

Bananaphone by Raffi

you can find more babies to tell you this album rules than anything y'all have mentioned. And they're all wrong, those stupid babies.

Ugh just thinking about those stupid babies listening to this and sincerely enjoying it makes me so mad, why do they have to be so wrong.
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/30/2014 03:03
  • Post subject:

Buyer's Market by Peter Sotos
Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation