Album of the day (#1005): The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 08/19/2013 14:12
  • Post subject:
Ok, so you guys made me listen through the entire second half again so I could give a proper answer, and you're right, it's not that bad. There are fantastic moments and even entire songs, but all in all it's such a disappointment in comparison to the first part. I always stop after the last little arpeggio on Chamber Of 32 Doors has died out, because I know continuing to listen would ruin the experience for me. If that's not the case for you, that's fine by me.

Anyway:

Lilywhite Lilith- good, but never develops into something really interesting
The Waiting Room- random noise, around the 3 min mark it becomes listenable, but pretty boring
Anyway- yeah, good song
Supernatural Anaesthetist- it's... alright. Couple of nice modulations but again doesn't really go anywhere
Lamia- Masterpiece of the finest Genesis-quality
Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats- TB plays around with the Mellotron a bit
Colony of Slippermen: The Arrival/A Visit To The Doktor/The Raven- setting aside the first 2 minutes of noodling (that probably was the perfect accompaniament to the entrance of The Slipperman in the stage show so fair enough) it is a pretty great song.
Ravine- wouldn't call it a song
The Light Dies Down On Broadway- The Lamb Lies Down and The Lamia separately>>> mixing the two in a slowed down version.
Riding The Scree- Sounds like something off the coming couple of albums, so I quite like it, but it's not worthy of comparison to the peak of creative genius that is the first half of TLLDOB.
In The Rapids- PG's expressive vocals make it enjoyable, but the actual song is pretty bland, especially by Genesis' standards.
It- very good song, yes. Also sounds like something you would hear on Trick Of The Tail or W&W. Chamber Of 32 Doors is a much much more appropriate ending to an album though (musically, I mean). It just leaves me in awe.

TracyJacks wrote:

p.s. I like your Tony Banks avatar.

Very Happy
Didn't think anybody would notice!

Mother Nature's Son wrote:
I'm not following you. You're not suggesting that you dislike the second half of your favourite album of all time, are you?

I have no problem with an album having filler if it's nicely tucked away on a separate disc. Hand on heart, how often do you listen to the third disc of All Things Must Pass?
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 08/19/2013 15:13
  • Post subject:
queue paladisiac in 3...2..1...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

i wrote a review on BEA for the lamb that pretty much sums up my thoughts. The lamb is just a great album musically, vocally and lyrically.
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 08/19/2013 15:15
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
I have no problem with an album having filler if it's nicely tucked away on a separate disc. Hand on heart, how often do you listen to the third disc of All Things Must Pass?

Okay, that's a great example on one hand. You're right, I stopped listening to it after a few times when I was convinced that it was full of absolutely nothing. On the other hand, it's a bit unfair comparison, I think. The second part of TLLDOB is at least something else than just a couple of guys playing purely for their own enjoyment. I'd understand if you think the second part is weaker, but haven't noticed a drop in quality so big myself. Have probably only listened to the album 4 times, so my opinion could be more fully developed. Smile
Error Finn

Finland

• Posted: 08/19/2013 19:58
  • Post subject:
TracyJacks wrote:
Why you are not satisfied enough with part 2? Which songs do you think should be avoided?

p.s. I like your Tony Banks avatar.

I like your Tony Banks avatar
. Thank God, it's Tony Banks! I was afraid that it was Ted Bundy Shocked