Wombi

• Posted: 08/26/2013 04:31
  • Post subject:
Okay so these are my 30 most anticipated that should be released in 2013
In 2 parts because it's be too massive otherwise

PART 1

30. Don Hemingway

IMDb
I'm a big Jude Law fan and this just looks like a lotta fun.

29. Only Lovers Left Alive

IMDb
Last thing I needed to see was another vampire film. But a vampire film directed by Jim Jarmusch. That I need to see.

28. Prisoners

Link

IMDb
Great cast (Jackman, Gyllenhaal, Davis, Dano), emotional concept (A Father takes the case of his missing daughter into his own hands). Could be a winner.

27. Labor Day

IMDb
Jason Reitman has a pretty great track record so there's probably nothing to worry about here in terms of being bad. There's still something about this film that tells the story of a single mother and son taking in a criminal that stops it from being in the first half of my list. Can't quite putr my finger on it. Still the combo of Winslet + Brolin will be great I'm sure.

26. Don Jon

Link

IMDb
Always gotta be careful with an actor's directorial debut (Even moreso when they're starring in it) but the trailer is great and there's been great early word of mouth on it and ScarJo is looking fine as ever.

25. Gravity

Link

IMDb
2 years ago this would have been my most anticipated. Alfonso Cuaron's first film in 7 years and it's set in space? I already had my money ready for the ticket. Then Sandy Bollocks was cast and the thought of watching her face for 2 hours really dampened my anticipation.

24. Joe

IMDb
Nicolas Cage is one of my all time favourite actors - but it's no secret that a large percentage of what's he's been doing in the last few years is...well...shit. It looks a lot like the instaclassic from earlier this year 'Mud' (especially since it stars the excellent Tye Sheridan) and if that's the case that's not a bad thing at all. Hopefully David Gordon Green can get an Adaptation/Leaving Las Vegas caliber performance out of Cage.

23. Mood Indigo

Link

IMDb
It's a Michel Gondry film so naturally most people are gonna be excited. But I dunno there's something about it that just feels like he's repeating himself over and over (magical romance based around a vaguely sci-fi idea (this time a woman suffers from a flower growing in her lung)) though to be fair his last 2 films were not fitting that mold. Also it feels like ages since I've seen an Audrey Tautou performance - so that's something to anticipate.

22. The Wolf Of Wall Street

Link

IMDb
Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio are 2 guys who generally don't get me excited for films (or at least in Marty's case for his modern films) and especially when they're working together. But that trailer is incredible. It's purely on this list because of that.

21. Night Moves

IMDb
A thriller about Eco-warriors. A topic that I think is rife for great material for filmmakers to work with but as yet been largely untouched. Also looking forward to hopefully a 2nd incredible performance from Jesse Eisenberg.

20. Blue Is The Warmest Colour

Link

IMDb
The reviews are incredible (96/100 on metacritic 100% on rotten tomatoes) and it's about French Lesbians. What more could we want?

19. 12 Years A Slave

Link

IMDb
Apparently a huge contender for Best Picture, which give the subject matter (A free well-to-do black man is sold into slavery) is certainly possible but given director Steve McQueen's past history of very oscar unfriendly films, it's a little hard to believe. Still a great cast and capable director I'm sure it'll be great regardless.

18. Dallas Buyers Club

IMDb
After the one-two hit of Killer Joe and Mud Matt McConaughey has become one of the most exciting actors to watch. Rumours have it that this is a career defining performance and the film around it (True story of a man diagnosed with HIV selling treatment equipment cheap to other similarly afflicted to him) sounds great too.

17. The Fifth Estate

Link

IMDb
The story of Julian Assange and wikileaks was just crying out to be made into a film. So it's no surprise it's come this soon. I'm not a big fan of Benedict Cumberbatch and early photos had me worried but his accent in the trailer was amazing - I think he could possibly hit his portrayl dead on. Let's hope the film at large is more like The Social Network and less like jOBS.

16. Kill Your Darlings

Link

IMDb
Dane DeHaan and Daniel Radcliffe (2 great up and comers. The first has already given multiple incredible performances the second has yet to wow but I'm certain he has it in him) in a film about Allen Ginsberg and the beat generation in general. Looks like fun.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/26/2013 04:34
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Nicolas Cage is one of my all time favourite actors

Jhereko wrote:

Jhereko wrote:

Jhereko wrote:

Jhereko wrote:

Jhereko wrote:

Jhereko wrote:
Wombi

• Posted: 08/26/2013 04:37
  • Post subject:

What have you seen of his? Because if you have seen: Raising Arizona/Wild At Heart/Leaving Las Vegas/Adaptation/Matchstick Men/The Weather Man/Bad Lieunant: Port Of New Orleans

Then I'd be confused. Otherwise if you're basing it off the youtube montages 14 year olds put together out of ignorance then tsk tsk.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/26/2013 04:44
  • Post subject:
Seen all of those except for Leaving Las Vegas, which I know is what he won his oscar for. I enjoy watching Nic Cage, but it's because his characters are so bad it's hilarious. I'm actually a huge fan of Adaptation and The Weather Man, but it's not Nic Cage's acting that makes it so.
Wombi

• Posted: 08/26/2013 04:46
  • Post subject:
Fair enough. I kind of don't understand how you could enjoy those (particularly Weather Man) if you didn't enjoy his performances but okay. I feel like even when he plays ridiculous characters (Con Air/Face Off etc) he still makes them super entertaining.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 08/26/2013 04:53
  • Post subject:
Lol purps beat me to it. what the deuce? Nicolas Cage?

Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 08/26/2013 05:07
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

What have you seen of his? Because if you have seen: Raising Arizona/Wild At Heart/Leaving Las Vegas/Adaptation/Matchstick Men/The Weather Man/Bad Lieunant: Port Of New Orleans

Then I'd be confused. Otherwise if you're basing it off the youtube montages 14 year olds put together out of ignorance then tsk tsk.

Nick Cage is actually fucking great. He brings a real manic energy to the screen. He just happens to take on all comers - sometimes it's a great success, sometimes it's the Wicker Man. He's a risk taker, I dig that. And just to tally it out:

MOVIES I HAVE SEEN NICHOLAS CAGE BE GREAT IN:
Adaptation
Kick-Ass
Leaving Las Vegas
Lord Of War
Werewolf Women Of The SS

MOVIES I HAVE SEEN NICHOLAS CAGE SUCK IN:
National Treasure
Wickerman

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/26/2013 05:16
  • Post subject:
OK, taking a tally of everything I've seen from Cage

GREAT [nada]

GOOD
Adaptation
Lord of War
The Weather Man

FINE
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Valley Girl
Raising Arizona
Moonstruck
Wild at Heart
The Rock
Face/Off
City of Angels
Bringing Out the Dead
Windtalkers
Matchstick Men
Kick Ass

COLOSSAL SUCKBALLS
Vampire's Kiss
Deadfall (sweet jesus this was suicide)
Con Air
Snake Eyes
Gone in 60 Seconds
The Wicker Man
Bad Lieutenant
Season of the Witch

I've seen my share of Nic Cage films. He's not good at all to me
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/26/2013 12:17
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Bad Lieutenant - Bad

Your opinion on film means nothing to me now. Sad

Adaptation
Rumble Fish
The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
Birdy
Leaving Las Vegas

Kick-Ass
Red Rock West
Bringing Out the Dead
The Cotton Club
Raising Arizona
Racing with the Moon
Wild at Heart
The Croods
Drive Angry
Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Lord of War
8MM
The Rock
Trespass
Season of the Witch

Windtalkers
Bangkok Dangerous
Seeking Justice
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
The Family Man
Matchstick Men
National Treasure
National Treasure 2
Snake Eyes
Amos & Andrew
Knowing
Con Air
Deadfall
The Wicker Man
Gone in 60 Seconds
Vampire's Kiss
Kiss of Death
The Weather Man
World Trade Center
It Could Happen to You
Guarding Tess
Moonstruck
Trapped in Paradise
Ghost Rider
Stolen
Valley Girl

Face/Off
Next
City of Angels
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 08/26/2013 16:40
  • Post subject:
PART 2 Of the 30 films I'm most anticipating but have yet to come out this year but still should be with any luck

15. The Counselor

Link

IMDb
It's Cormac McCarthy's first screenplay written directly for the screen. Need I say more?

14. The Congress

Link

IMDb
The concept and trailer are crazy enough to entice me. Looks exactly like my type of thing.

13. The Disappearence Of Eleanor Rigby: His & Hers

IMDb IMDb
this is actually 2 movies telling the same story (of a relationship) from 2 different points of view (His & hers). that concept alone is enough for me to anticipate it but McAvoy and Chastain look like such a gorgeous couple that that doesn't hurt.

12. Filth

Link

IMDb
Speaking of James McAvoy this film based on an Irvine Welsh novel looks like a lot of fun. Great trailer too.

11. American Hustle

Link

IMDb
David O'Russell (The Fighter, Silver Lings Playbook) directs 4 people who have been in films of his before (The Fighter, Silver Lingings Playbook) in a story about the abscam operation. looks both sick and slick as fuck.

10. The Wind Rises

Link

IMDb
A New Hayao Miyazaki film will always be anticipated. this looks like it may be his most adult film yet. A story about the man who designed Japan's planes for WWII.

9. The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty

Link

IMDb
just watch the trailer.

8. The Past

Link

IMDb
Asghar Farhadi made massive waves for his tightly directed 2011 film 'A Separation'. Though this could potentially be 'A Separation In France' I have faith it'll be something special on its own.

7. A Most Wanted Man

IMDb
I'd anticipate any film with Philip Seymour Hoffman in it (although I'm still struggling to muster up enthusiasm for hunger Games 2 Laughing ) but bundled with the fact that this is based on a John le Carre novel and directed Anton Corbjin, whose first 2 feature films (Control and The American) were both more than excellent, shoots this to a top ten placing.

6. Inside Llweyn Davis

Link

it's Coen's. It's about Folk music. it has Carey Mulligan in it.

5. Her

Link

IMDb
Spike Jonze has a perfect track record so I know at the very least this will be a great film. The trailer looks heartfelt and Joaquin looks fantastic as always (his moustache even moreso) and ScarJo has a sexy ass voice.

4. Rush

Link

IMDb
The trailer is exciting, has 2 great young actors and it's based on a great story. Ron howard isn't the most reliable or consistent director but I think he may have a winner here.

3. Nymphomaniac: Part One

IMDb
Even Lars von trier films I don't like all that much (melancholia for instance) still have so much to offer. He's one of the most exciting modern directors. You can't leave a film of his without feeling somewhat violated (in a good way obviously) and this looks no different.

2. Foxcatcher

IMDb
Not much is available for this yet. But it's directed by Bennett Miller (Another director who has 2 near perfect films under his belt) and stars Channing Tatum, Mark Ruffalo and Steve Carrell all seeming playing against type. the true story of the wrestling coach John Du Pont (Carrell above) murdering the one of the olympic champion brothers Schultz.

1. The Zero Theorem

IMDb
I'm an eternal Terry Gilliam fan - so when he starts talking about his new film starring Christoph Waltz having parallels with his masterpiece 'Brazil', it becomes my most anticipated of the year.