Bad comment angst

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 08/30/2013 13:54
  • Post subject: Bad comment angst
I just posted a comment about an album that I thought re-he-heally sucked. I mean, the best part was the Spotify ads. But, it's a favorite for some people, top ten of its year, so I thought better of it. But it was too late, the post was up there, and I didn't see a way to delete it. I could have blanked it out by editing it, I suppose. At the moment, because its the most recent, it's the first comment people see. I wouldn't mind so much if it was third or fourth.

But, a larger question, should one follow the rule of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything"? Should one be an umpire "I call 'em as I see 'em"? Should one post a negative review only if one is in the habit of posting a review about absolutely everything one hears? Should one post negative reviews only if the album affected you in a significantly negative way (as this one did)?

What do you think?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 08/30/2013 14:00
  • Post subject:
I think you should stop worrying. I'm guessing you're talking about your comment on Exhile In Guyville?

You justify why you dislike it, which is what matters. Lots of people will just post 'really bad' or something just as uninspired - but that's would be just as helpful if it was positive.

Talk about what you thought about it, good or bad, and you're contributing something worthwhile to the site. I didn't enjoy Exhile in Guyville as much as it was hyped, so I'd be grateful to see some negative reviews now and then.
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 08/30/2013 14:22
  • Post subject:
Say whatever you feel.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/30/2013 14:38
  • Post subject:
I agree with Squishy and Puncture, say what you want, but explain yourself. It's your right as a listener to dislike something. I'm sure i hate plenty of albums you love too. no one reasonable will be angry with you for disliking an album if you express your distaste intelligently. I personally like Exile, but I also singers who don't have perfect pitch.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/30/2013 15:23
  • Post subject: Re: Bad comment angst
Listmeister wrote:

But, a larger question, should one follow the rule of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything"?

Absolutely not. Whoever originated that saying was shallow and selfish. Avoiding negativity is a sure way to stunt personal growth.

That said, humility is also healthy. For example, you can say something like "this really didn't appeal to me" rather than "this was terrible."
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/30/2013 16:09
  • Post subject:
A negative comment, if reasonable and respectful, is absolutely fine... except on YouTube, where they don't take kindly to actual conversation.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/30/2013 23:05
  • Post subject:
Worst Charts lists do nothing productive but inspire negative backlash, people should stop making them.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2013 00:57
  • Post subject:
To me, go write whatever you think, just don't specifically stalk down albums because you don't like them. If there's an album you listen to and you don't like it, great, go explain why and comment on it. If there's a band you don't like and they had an album come out you barely skimmed, don't go comment "OMG THESE GUISE SUCK SO MUCH @SS I CAN'T EVEN LISSEN TO DIS". No. That's bad. That's wrong. If you have reasons or have given it a shot and you don't like it, then by all means, go tell people.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 08/31/2013 12:06
  • Post subject:
Well I prefer a well-articulated bad comment, than an empty "positive" comment (e.g. "lolz i love dis") on something I like.
  • Visit poster's website
lightmyway
Swimming into view

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2013 19:18
  • Post subject:
To me, "if you can't say something nice" applies to people, not records. Say what you want about any album! I usually don't leave negative comments on albums willy nilly, because I'm not interested enough in such music. I just do it if an artist I like puts out an album that disappoints me.
  • Visit poster's website