How to Talk to Your Children About Their Shitty Taste...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 09/05/2013 18:17
  • Post subject: How to Talk to Your Children About Their Shitty Taste...
Forget racism and misogyny. Apparently THIS is the reason we should be angry with Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke for their VMA performance Rolling Eyes

I have a number of problems with this article, most notably its claims that artists should only write lyrics that are 100% grammatically correct or that there is a direct correlation between complexity of instrumentation and quality of music (not to mention the call to dadrockers everywhere to beat pre-21st century music into our children's heads even if they don't like it), but I'm curious to see what you all think. Thoughts?
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/05/2013 18:29
  • Post subject:
Ugh, that article is disgusting.
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2013 18:31
  • Post subject:
Yea this article is pretty ridiculous. I actually really like "Blurred Lines." That said, if I had children and caught them listening to Miley Cyrus, I'd probably smack them upside the head.
Kiki

• Posted: 09/05/2013 18:42
  • Post subject:
I wanted this thread to be about how some music listeners equate "mainstream" music or simply music they don't like as being either music for women or kids. It's almost like the worst music is for "teenage girls" (the dreaded combination of both groups) while the best and indiest music is better understood by 18 years or over guys. Don't worry if you're not one of them, you get an big shiny internet medal from them if you conform. Ofcourse it applies to absolutely no one here though. I'm just appropriating my own elitist attitudes and assuming other people went through the same stages with music I did. No need to be consulting the man in the mirror. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Razz

[sigh]... Music is actually a pretty exiciting for me right now. 2010's would have been a great time to start exploring popular music. Ofcourse I may think differently had I been a teenager in 2013 (I got into my favorite band at just the right time in their life). It's better if you assume you're not being duped and got on enjoying what is coming out.

Also, goes without saying that the finished result is more important than the methods or means. So that grammer stuff can go right out yo.
edubs

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2013 18:49
  • Post subject:
That article is garbage.
Would the author let their child read the f-bombs in the article and use words like shitty and crap-ass?
1999 - why? Why not 1899 as the cut-off?
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 09/05/2013 18:52
  • Post subject:
Ahahahaha great article. A couple of my personal favs:

Who wrote this? I cant find an author, wrote:
Marvin Gaye sang about sex, but in a sexy way.

Quote:
Remember when songs were played by a band with several talented musicians?

Quote:
Remember when musicians weren’t solely children of famous people?

Quote:
The Electric Slide is shitty music too, but at least it’s 18 completely asexual dance moves.

Quote:
I’d have way more respect for your 13 year-old if I saw them being the lone nerd doing the “Macarena” at a school dance.

Quote:
force them to listen to music prior to 1999

God for a short article it has tons of gold. Well done whoever you are that wrote this, well done Applause
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/05/2013 18:56
  • Post subject:
Quote:
It’s time to take away our children’s TVs,

Good point, this. Kids didn't have TV's prior to the millennium, after all.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 09/05/2013 19:07
  • Post subject:
You know I love you sweden, but seriously, why is the point of a thread like this one? Who will disagree with the fact that this article is pure bullshit from beginning to end? Are you posting that to feel like you're an open-minded person? Does it make you feel better to know there are ignorant people out there? What will it teach us? It's an empty piece of shit. There's nothing interesting here. No unknown music, no thoughtful point of view, no insightful analysis, nothing. I remember that other thread you made about some stupid article about gay marriage... Again, what's the point? And you're not the only one. There were some threads here about some radio stations' top 100 albums or shit like that. Great. We're so much better than these guys. Maybe I could post my little sisters' favorite songs and you could roll your eyes at how commercial are her tastes.

I don't know if I'm alone here, but I think we don't need threads about stupidity. Threads are dedicated to discussion, but there's nothing to discuss here. This could have its place in the musical random chat section.

I know some people think BEA is pretty quiet these days, but I don't think this kind of thread is the solution. It may even be the problem. Making threads for the sake of making threads is not a good idea. We have to find something better.

Sorry about the rant, it may have been a bit too long for such a harmless thread, but it's something I've been wanting to say for some time now, so here it is.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 09/05/2013 19:11
  • Post subject:
someone's got a case of the Thursdays...

• Posted: 09/05/2013 19:13
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
You know I love you sweden, but seriously, why is the point of a thread like this one? Who will disagree with the fact that this article is pure bullshit from beginning to end? Are you posting that to feel like you're an open-minded person? Does it make you feel better to know there are ignorant people out there? What will it teach us? It's an empty piece of shit. There's nothing interesting here. No unknown music, no thoughtful point of view, no insightful analysis, nothing. I remember that other thread you made about some stupid article about gay marriage... Again, what's the point? And you're not the only one. There were some threads here about some radio stations' top 100 albums or shit like that. Great. We're so much better than these guys. Maybe I could post my little sisters' favorite songs and you could roll your eyes at how commercial are her tastes.

I don't know if I'm alone here, but I think we don't need threads about stupidity. Threads are dedicated to discussion, but there's nothing to discuss here. This could have its place in the musical random chat section.

I know some people think BEA is pretty quiet these days, but I don't think this kind of thread is the solution. It may even be the problem. Making threads for the sake of making threads is not a good idea. We have to find something better.

Sorry about the rant, it may have been a bit too long for such a harmless thread, but it's something I've been wanting to say for some time now, so here it is.

I see your point. I posted it mostly for the entertainment value and because I think it's healthy to rage every now and then. If albummaster or the community as a whole would rather see this type of article in its respective random chat thread, I'd be happy to oblige, but I wasn't aware of any status quo regarding the issue. I tend to view the forums as a pretty relaxed discussion space, and when a thought occurs to me (such as the gay marriage thread I started) or I come across an article that could encourage discussion (you may not find the discussion so far to be terribly worthwhile, but it has generated more discussion than the average post in Musical Random Chat, to refer back to your comparison) I feel free to post it, even if it's nothing especially groudbreaking. If I think it might be something a lot of people are interested in reading and commenting on, I make a thread. If it's just a random thought that doesn't have much discussion value, I put it in the Musical Random Chat thread. That distinction is arbitrary and I apologize if we have different criteria. If you're not alone then I will confine thoughts like this to pre-existing threads in the future.

Last edited by Guest on 09/05/2013 19:16; edited 2 times in total