Album of the day (#1027): Laughing Stock by Talk Talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 09/10/2013 15:47
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
When I listen to this album, it isn't like when I listen to ITAOTS, which makes my ears bleed. This album I can't stand because of its aesthetics. It probably closer to how lethal feels about The Wall. It just sounds overly pretentious to me and it just sounds like a band trying to play jazz that has no business trying to play anything close to jazz.

That's not a very good reason to dislike an album. It puts too much explanation into it. Confused
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 09/10/2013 17:06
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
lol at everyone in this thread thinking they're more cultured and intelligent than Jason for liking this album.

Hey, you're the one who thinks Talk Talk aren't pretentious unlike Pink Floyd, aren't you? It might just be me, but the first song for instance, super quiet and minimalistic combined with Mark Hollis' voice/way of singing definitely comes across as pretentious. Still like the song and album, nothing wrong with it, but I clearly understand if Jason doesn't like it and it would have nothing do with cultural education, his IQ or whatever.

• Posted: 09/10/2013 17:23
  • Post subject:
Before making an account on BEA, you should be required to write a correct definition of pretentious, objective, and subjective.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 09/10/2013 17:26
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Before making an account on BEA, you should be required to write a correct definition of pretentious, objective, and subjective.

Laughing
This. So much...
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 09/10/2013 17:27
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 09/10/2013 18:24
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:

BrandonMeow makes the post of the week for the 342nd time.
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2013 19:23
  • Post subject:
First impression: tranquilizing.

Never heard the album before, never heard the band before (except for the single "Talk Talk" from 1982 which sounds nothing like this album. Is it even the same band?)

an_outlaw, I see your point about centuries old and underwater ruins. But listening to underwater ruins for 43 1/2 minutes... sorry.

I'm not going to claim it was pretentious or unmusical or badly played. All I know is, the first time I heard it, it nearly put me to sleep. This is a bad thing, since I'm at work at the moment.

20/100
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/10/2013 19:38
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:
First impression: tranquilizing.

Never heard the album before, never heard the band before (except for the single "Talk Talk" from 1982 which sounds nothing like this album. Is it even the same band?)

an_outlaw, I see your point about centuries old and underwater ruins. But listening to underwater ruins for 43 1/2 minutes... sorry.

I'm not going to claim it was pretentious or unmusical or badly played. All I know is, the first time I heard it, it nearly put me to sleep. This is a bad thing, since I'm at work at the moment.

20/100

Well, Talk Talk was a new wave/synthpop band before they changed into this post-rock band.

And I would recommend listening to Spirit of Eden before dismissing Talk Talk. It's much more accessible and is closer to standard rock music. Both albums are growers, though.
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 09/10/2013 19:53
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:

If you're referring to my comment, please clarify in what way I've misunderstood the definition of the word 'pretentious' (or the other words for that matter). I've looked up the word like 10 times already (before the word was even mentioned in this thread). One of its numerous (and official enough too, I guess) definitions:

Quote:
Full of pretension; characterized by the assumption of dignity, importance, artistic distinction, etc.

So have I READ it and do I UNDERSTAND it? That's up to you to trust. The word when used on these forums has become the equivalent to the b-word in airports, but I wasn't really in the creative corner to come up with a "better" word.

Otherwise, funny joke!

• Posted: 09/10/2013 19:57
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
So have I READ it and do I UNDERSTAND it? That's up to you to trust. The word when used on these forums has become the equivalent to the b-word in airports, but I wasn't really in the creative corner to come up with a "better" word.

Otherwise, funny joke!

It was a general statement, not really pointed at you, though your comment did kind of spark it in that I don't see how something being "super quiet and minimalistic" with a certain way of singing qualifies it as "assuming dignity, importance, or artistic distinction" though its all subjective (there's another one of those words! Razz)

Another thing, there is a difference between aiming for dignity, importance, and artistic distinction, and assuming you've already reached the peak of dignity, importance, and artistic distinction...I think the latter is pretentious, while the former isn't.