Do I Have A Form Of Dadrocker Era Bias?

View previous topic :: View next topic
edubs

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2013 21:59
  • Post subject: Do I Have A Form Of Dadrocker Era Bias?
I noticed that many people on this site have a preference for one era/decade of music or perhaps several - in favor of others. Being that I am not twenty-some years old I wanted to determine if I have a bias to a particular decade/era.
So I looked at the 5 of albums from each decade that are in my music collection and compared that to the percentage of albums from each decade that I chose for my Top 100 album list (that data is shown in a table below)

Conclusions:
Music from the 50s and prior seems to be adequately represented in my Top 100 list - especially when you factor in that that era wasn't really "album oriented". If anything, maybe I over-represented the era on my list?

The # of Albums from the 60s in my Top 100 list is 1 more than one would expect on straight percentages.

The # of Albums from the 70s in my Top 100 list is 3 more than one would expect based on percentages.

The # of Albums from the 80s is 12 less than one would expect. I think this may be in part because the 80s is when I began to buy more albums and a larger number of the albums I bought were "as they came out" ... so those that turned out to be albums without much long term staying power impacted the percentages. Also, I was younger and more inclined to listen to music that was popular/club music/stuff I would hear when out doing youthful, fun things.

The # of albums from the 90s is 3 more than one would expect.

The # of albums from the 00s is 6 more (2x !!!) the number one would expect. I obviously need to explore more music from the 00s.

The # of albums from the 10s is 1 more than the # one would expect - I think the 10s are being adequately explored.

The other way to look at it would be that the 60s and 70s were great eras for albums that I have explored thoroughly, the 80s was a down decade that I spent too much time looking for good music in, the 90s was a solid decade that I need to revisit, and the 00s I also under-valued. I'm on track for a solid 10s.

I posted this mostly to see if other people have had similar experiences.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 09/14/2013 22:11
  • Post subject:
I don't think you need to compare your collection vs your top 100 to know that you need to explore the 00s and 10s more extensively. There's been a tonne of fantastic music made in the last 15 years.
JMan

• Posted: 09/14/2013 22:26
  • Post subject:
1012 albums. Nice. I'm only at 268 (Excluding compilations and kiddy albums from my childhood and soundtracks.

Anyway, it looks like your fine on the 70's by lightyears. I'd say there's a little dadrock in you only if many of these 70's bands are your favorite bands.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/14/2013 22:56
  • Post subject:
Very interesting, but it seems like the number of albums you own from a given decade is as much an indication of bias as how many end up on your list. Maybe you should compare your percentages to the percent of BEA albums from each decade, if that info is available. BEA has its own biases of course, but it seems like a better comparison sample than your own collection.
edubs

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2013 23:22
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Very interesting, but it seems like the number of albums you own from a given decade is as much an indication of bias as how many end up on your list. Maybe you should compare your percentages to the percent of BEA albums from each decade, if that info is available. BEA has its own biases of course, but it seems like a better comparison sample than your own collection.

Very true. I understand that point and I thought of that - what I wanted to determine was if, regardless of the number of albums I have from the 60s, 70s, 80s if I was biased against newer music - the data seems to indicate that I am not. If I was close-minded towards the 00s and 10s I would expect to see under-representation of those eras in favor of albums from other eras. If I owned say 100 albums from across those two time periods (roughly 10% of my collection) and only chose a couple of them to put on my Top 100 list then I would think I had a bias.

I agree I have some work to do to fill in some holes.

Thanks to this site, I have discovered some gems from those time-frames that I missed when they first came out.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/14/2013 23:26
  • Post subject:
It's pretty great, isn't it?

Anyway, props for the analysis. I'm kind of a data nut myself, so I appreciate stuff like this.