Mix Tapes/CDs

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2013 06:39
  • Post subject: Mix Tapes/CDs
Do any of you make, or still make mix tapes/CDs for others?

On what occasions do you make mix tapes/CDs?

Do you structure your mix tapes/CDs a specific way?

What tactics or patterns do you notice exists in your construction of mix tapes/CDs?

Are there any artists that you find consistently make their way on to all, if not most of the mix tapes/CDs that you make?

Discuss. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2013 07:05
  • Post subject:
I always make hour long mix's for friends, than burn them to CD's or just send them a link. I usually just throw in a bunch of tracks I think they'd like, add some transitions between them, make it flow, then mix and render it as a single hour long track and send it on it's merry way.
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2013 13:42
  • Post subject:
I made one I was going to mail to a friend in Utah. I forgot to and we're not on good terms anymore. I found it recently and it was quite sad.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 09/28/2013 15:18
  • Post subject:
Discovered a box of mix tapes from my past... Made me remember old friends and ex-girlfriends. Listening to them was even better. Cool

• Posted: 09/28/2013 17:53
  • Post subject:
I only made a mixtape once in 2002 with the help of my brother. I think the tradition had died out a couple of years before though; I make mix CDs all the time nowadays.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2013 01:30
  • Post subject:
OK, so my first girlfriend? (there's a story there that I would tell but I'm assuming it'd bore y'all) burned me a mix CD of mostly just Airborne Toxic Event, Of Monsters and Men, and Mumford and Sons, with a few other songs mixed in. As I didn't know ATE yet, that was great for me. And it was really sweet, that will be the high point of the relationship looking back on it. I made her one later but I think by then it was already basically over.

I made my 10 closest friends mix CDs for Christmas last year, as I don't like to give gifts that aren't creative. Usually I'll write someone something or draw them something or make them something, etc ... sometimes I buy things but I almost feel bad when I do. So that was that.

Lastly, one of my best friends if not my best friend right now got to talking to me during a really weird time. I saw her crying and got worried and we'd talked a little, but not much, and only about school. That night she was crying we talked for HOURS and I tried to just keep her head above water. The next day, she had cheered up a little and we started talking about real things. That night, we were just chatting now and it was awesome and she just said "can I make you a CD? I want to make you a CD". So she did. That really meant a lot to me too frankly.

I still have "Ben's List" from my ex? and "Ben CD 1 and 2" from my best friend and I keep them in my drawer with my most prized possessions.

So yeah, I think they still mean something.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2013 01:41
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
OK, so my first girlfriend? (there's a story there that I would tell but I'm assuming it'd bore y'all) burned me a mix CD of mostly just Airborne Toxic Event, Of Monsters and Men, and Mumford and Sons, with a few other songs mixed in. As I didn't know ATE yet, that was great for me. And it was really sweet, that will be the high point of the relationship looking back on it. I made her one later but I think by then it was already basically over.

I made my 10 closest friends mix CDs for Christmas last year, as I don't like to give gifts that aren't creative. Usually I'll write someone something or draw them something or make them something, etc ... sometimes I buy things but I almost feel bad when I do. So that was that.

Lastly, one of my best friends if not my best friend right now got to talking to me during a really weird time. I saw her crying and got worried and we'd talked a little, but not much, and only about school. That night she was crying we talked for HOURS and I tried to just keep her head above water. The next day, she had cheered up a little and we started talking about real things. That night, we were just chatting now and it was awesome and she just said "can I make you a CD? I want to make you a CD". So she did. That really meant a lot to me too frankly.

I still have "Ben's List" from my ex? and "Ben CD 1 and 2" from my best friend and I keep them in my drawer with my most prized possessions.

So yeah, I think they still mean something.

I feel weird saying this, but I am actually interested in your stories. What was on the CD your best friend made?
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 09/30/2013 14:54
  • Post subject:
I've been working on Best of Year CD's, compiled from best hit singles. (I'll get around to doing Best Album Tracks at some point). Here's some from my Best of 2012 CD:

Train - 50 Ways to Say Good-bye
Carrie Underwood - Blown Away
David Guetta f/Sia - Titanium
Gotye f/Kimbra - Somebody That I Used to Know
Brad Paisley - Camouflage
Skrillex - Bangarang
Adele - Set Fire to the Rain
K'Naan f/Nelly Furtado - Is Anybody Out There
Adam Lambert - Never Close Our Eyes
Thomas Rhett - Something to Do With My Hands
Selena Gomez & the Scene - Love You Like a Love Song
Taylor Swift - Red
No Doubt - Settle Down

You see, before I got sucked into this website, I mainly listened to singles. My approach was to take a period of time, and listen to every song that was a hit then, and pick my favorites. I still do that, but less because I'm listening to a lot of albums right now.

If anyone cares, the best years for doing that are 1963, 1966, 1977, 1988, 2008. Avoid the middle '90's. Record companies did not release a lot of singles, so the most popular songs were not listed as hits.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 09/30/2013 15:00
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:
Train - 50 Ways to Say Good-bye
Carrie Underwood - Blown Away
David Guetta f/Sia - Titanium
Gotye f/Kimbra - Somebody That I Used to Know
Brad Paisley - Camouflage
Skrillex - Bangarang
Adele - Set Fire to the Rain
K'Naan f/Nelly Furtado - Is Anybody Out There
Adam Lambert - Never Close Our Eyes
Thomas Rhett - Something to Do With My Hands
Selena Gomez & the Scene - Love You Like a Love Song
Taylor Swift - Red
No Doubt - Settle Down

Looks like the playlist at my student union bar. The one I never went to because the playlist was so shit.
Kiki

• Posted: 10/01/2013 18:28
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Looks like the playlist at my student union bar. The one I never went to because the playlist was so shit.

You come across more negative about music than I was at my most negative. I had many songs which I disliked for whatever reason yet this year I am going back to them and finding brilliant catchy songs.

I think I am starting to come to a realization there is nothing truly horrible to my ears and the worse a song can be is something I am completely apathetic to and can't remember afterwards. Think