BDAT Rd. 1 - Right Time vs. Red Roses for Me (CLOSED)

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is better?
Right Time
40%
 40%  [4]
Red Roses for Me
60%
 60%  [6]
Total Votes : 10

• Posted: 09/30/2013 03:35
  • Post subject: BDAT Rd. 1 - Right Time vs. Red Roses for Me (CLOSED)
BDAT

Round 1

Right Time - Mighty Diamonds (1976)
Sponsor: drakonium

Red Roses for Me - The Pogues (1984)
Sponsor: Patman360

PLEASE DO NOT VOTE UNLESS YOU HAVE HEARD BOTH ALBUMS

Last edited by Guest on 10/03/2013 19:34; edited 1 time in total
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 09/30/2013 06:11
  • Post subject:
Hey hey wait I have this album in the BEA book thing, but I haven't written for it yet. I'll do it tonight. I know I say I will do things and I actually don't, but this I will really do it. Anyway, Right Time is my favorite reggae record ever and and one of my favorites in any genre, so maybe give it a spin, because my tastes aren't that shitty Razz

I haven't listened to its opponent though, and obviously I can't vote before doing it. Will do... Now, maybe. Mmmh.

Edit: I'm liking The Pogues' record so far. I remember hearing Rum, Sodomy & The Lash once, and not liking it at all, so I'd say this one is a pretty good surprise. That said, I still can't say I love it. Nice find anyway, thanks Patman Wink
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal
  • Posted: 09/30/2013 11:45
  • Post subject:
I don't think I've listened to Mighty Diamonds in a long time (I can't really remember it), so I'm thinking I haven't listened to it, but it's just been thrown around so much it's difficult to think I haven't listened to it. On the other hand, I love the Pogues. Their first three albums are amazing. Probably gonna vote for them because they're high up there.
  • Posted: 09/30/2013 12:11
  • Post subject:
Got to go with Right Time. Red Roses For Me is good fun, but it's pretty inconsistent, occasionally unmemorable, and not a patch on the excellent Rum, Sodomy & The Lash, whilst Right Time is the best Mighty Diamonds album (tied with Ice On Fire), and up there with the likes of The Wailing Souls' Firehouse Rock and The Wailers' Catch a Fire as some of the best male vocal group reggae music of the seventies (though not quite as great as Heart of The Congos, Two Sevens Clash or Burnin').
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 09/30/2013 15:36
  • Post subject:
I've written this. It's not complete yet, but I guess it's enough to promote my nom.

drakonium wrote:
Mighty Diamonds' Right Time is my favorite reggae album. I have discovered it while wandering through some reggae lists on the internet. It did not have anything particular to catch my attention actually, it was just high on these lists and I love 70s reggae, so I was like "Why not?"

I did not regret it. It now features some of my very favorite music from that decade. It is a very melodic reggae record. The voice is very sweet, the instruments make pleasant sounds and the songs are catchy. It really is the friendliest record ever. From the first notes it just wants to be your friend. It is very relaxing when it is hot outside, the music itself is sunny.

The title track has wonderfully sweet harmonies. Why Me Black Brother Why is a desperate track against violence. Shame And Pride's melody is absolutely fantastic. Them Never Love Poor Marcus' chorus is stunningly beautiful, and Go Seek Your Rights is where the lead singer is the best. Have Mercy is my favorite track, everything about it is gorgeous. The whispered harmonies on Natural Natty are awesome.

Although the voices are always at the forefront, the instrumentation is also great enough to be talked about. The horns give the whole record its lazy feel, like "Slow down, we are not in a hurry". The piano is much more present than the guitar, and its clear sound fits the voice much better actually. Everything is very cohesive, listening to this record is like listening to a single 30-minute-long song. It is not at all a bad thing, though; it sets a mood at the very first track and just makes you delve into it more after each new song. When listening to it, you are there, you are under the hot sun, facing poverty. It could not have been recorded anywhere but in Jamaica.

Reggae is not always a very popular genre, and its masterpieces not recorded by The Wailers are often forgotten. This is a true landmark for the genre, and albums that good are rare. One of the most important records for me during the last few months.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 10/01/2013 05:07
  • Post subject:
This matchup is as successful as a 2kt one xD

Seriously guys you're missing something here, come on, listen to these. As much as I appreciate The Pogues, I honestly can't believe they're winning against Mighty Diamonds. I mean, if Right Time was against Psychocandy or whatever, I'd be fine with it losing, but here we're talking about the Pogues' debut against an album which is to reggae what, say, Teen Dream is to dream pop or Damned Damned Damned is to punk.

Only two days left to do the right thing!
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 10/01/2013 20:53
  • Post subject:
Finally having a chance to listen to "Right Time". This has the classic reggae sound that I love about early Wailers records.

I'm pretty torn. Red Roses For Me isn't my favorite Pogues album but it introduced the world to a really original band.

I really like Right Time, but still giving the vote to The Pogues. Sorry Drakonium. But i'm really glad I've gotten to hear this.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 10/02/2013 05:01
  • Post subject:
Haha it's OK Smile

I'm not sure how I could defend my nom more, so I'll just wait so it's death.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 10/02/2013 16:16
  • Post subject:
Right Time is pretty cool (And I'm surprised it isn't winning...), but naturally had to go for Pogues here, while only my third favourite of their albums I still love it.

• Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 10/03/2013 19:33
  • Post subject:
It was the wrong time for Mighty Diamonds.

6-4